Parking ticket at LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzwibel

I went to Florida for a week and parked in parking lot 1. Sometime during the week I was unplugged (which as far as I can tell was ok as I was fully charged by then).

I got back last night and found a parking ticket on my Leaf stating that I was in a charging station spot but not plugged in. Can that be right?

mzwibel said:
I went to Florida for a week and parked in parking lot 1. Sometime during the week I was unplugged (which as far as I can tell was ok as I was fully charged by then).

I got back last night and found a parking ticket on my Leaf stating that I was in a charging station spot but not plugged in. Can that be right?
Was Signage AB475 compliant? CA AB475 requires connection to the EVSE to avoid cite/tow

Where would it say that on the ticket?

So I can no longer park for more than a few hours there without risking a ticket? There were other Leafs unplugged as well so I wonder if they got a ticket too...

I saw the ticket and I took a picture of it.
I talked to an Airport Police Officer and I was given this number to call, he's the parking patrol supervisor (or something like that).
four two four 6 4 6 6 1 3 6
If you call tell them you talked to an officer and you got the number.
I left a message to let them know that a lot of us will be in the same situation. No response yet.

BTW, there were many other EVs not plugged and they had no ticket.
I think the person who wrote the ticket is only looking at the stalls clearly marked for EVs.

This is going to be a big issue soon.

Here's a place where we need to make our voice known in this issue
http://www.lawa.org/commentsLAWA.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is for Airport Police
http://www.lawa.org/airportpolice.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(310) 646 - 4268

Mwalsh is probably the best guy to answer on current signage in Lot 1, but the current understanding on this forum is that enforcement of the new California law requires specific new signage be installed. You may be the first person reporting a ticket under the new law, and I am sorry to say, perhaps the first to be "maliciously unplugged". This is an obvious shortcoming in the law and may get a sympathic hearing by the issuing agency since there is no reason for you to park and not plug in.

I have to admit I am confused about this entire LAX parking situation. Last time I was there, I parked in the area of parking area 1 around the wall from where the charges were. I was one of about 8 to 10 Leafs parked there. Obviously was not plugged in, but didn't need a charge either. So, it's apparently safer to park in a non-EV space. No chance of a ticket for not being plugged in and still get the free ride.

Photo of my Leaf parked in Lot 1 along with lots of others (my family say "Leafy was having a playdate")

LAX.gif

I never bother to plug in. I am glad for the freebee on the parking fees and dont try to add free power to that.
I have never seen an open spot, so that may further explain it. I dont even look anymore.

Of course, some are trying to get there from farther away than I.

I spoke with the parking patrol supervisor. He said he would notify all the officers not to issue tickets for that. I hope he is telling the truth on this one.

Unfortunately since my ticket is already entered I have to write a letter to the Parking Violations Bureau to contest this ticket.

What a hassle...

I sell the solution for your problem. The Connector Protector prevents unplugging when charging and you are not in a secure area.

dlich18 said:
If I came upon a vehicle that had finished charging but had the cable secured through this contraption - THAT is when I would be pissed!
Not to mention the fact that you can accomplish the same thing by wrapping the cord around the bottom of the tire and using a long padlock to secure the loop. Plus can you imagine the rigamarole you'd have to go through?

1. Park the car.
2. Get out and deploy this thing in front of your tire with the cord in it.
3. Get back in and move the car on top of the "protector".
4. Get back out and actually plug in.
5-7. Reverse the procedure when it's time to leave.

And pay $40 for the privilege!

Am I missing something? How does that device prevent unplugging? It may prevent another from using the cord, but it can still be unplugged.

Lloyd said:
I sell the solution for your problem. The Connector Protector prevents unplugging when charging and you are not in a secure area.
Interesting device - appears it would protect against theft of my portable Panasonic charger (unless someone is willing to sever the cord or tow the car), but how exactly would securing the cable to the ground (at a point at least 7-10 cable-feet from the Leaf's J-1772 port) prevent "malicious unplugging"? Even if the 7 feet of cable wouldn't reach the 'next' car, malicious is malicious, no?

I never try to charge at LAX, leaving my car in lots 1 and 6 but not in an EV spot, so I'm not actually sure what the signage is like, even though I was parked there just last month. But we were afraid of this kind of thing happening, thanks to those GM a-holes.

ebill3 said:
Am I missing something? How does that device prevent unplugging? It may prevent another from using the cord, but it can still be unplugged.

This secures the cord to your vehicle, and thus prevents someone else from using the cord. The weight of the vehicle prevents the sliding of the cord through the protector. I have found it useful for extended parking at airports or train stations where parking may be unattended for an extended time. It would be tedious to use every time the car is parked.

Back