Parking ticket at LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Lloyd is trying to hijack this thread to sell a product which will do nothing for the problem being discussed. We should just ignore him.

Technically it would fix the problem, as he could prove to the officer that he was indeed initially plugged in and that someone came by and unplugged him.

ztanos said:
planet4ever said:
Lloyd is trying to hijack this thread to sell a product which will do nothing for the problem being discussed. We should just ignore him.

Technically it would fix the problem, as he could prove to the officer that he was indeed initially plugged in and that someone came by and unplugged him.

Good point as it would be kind of evidence and perhaps deterrent.

I am not likely going to buy the connector protector, but having been unplugged at Santa Monica Place when I was on a couple of bars, and then returned an hour to find a note placed on my car complaining I took up a place, and no measurable added charge, Lloyd's product is a kind of solution. If I get a ticket for the same situation, I would probably do something.

For what it is worth, as a sometimes small business owner, a soft approach of selling something is often okay with me... That's how I ended up with the EVSE upgrade, for example.

The officers haven't changed their ways - got a ticket on August 2 and there were others with tickets as well in lot 6. Is this the end of the free parking incentive? I was plugged in but someone had unplugged me a day or two after I plugged in (I only know because I was fully charged when I got in the vehicle and my carwings reported such).

Anyone successfully fight this ticket? How can I be liable for someone else's actions taken in a public space?

It would appear that they are now enforcing the provisions of the GM sponsored bill that passed last year... Perhaps a dated picture of your car plugged in when you left it might convince a judge but if he/she goes by the letter of that law, there is no recourse. I'll be using the LAX lots for free parking only in the future, not charging, unless I am there for less than a day.

gozer123 said:
The officers haven't changed their ways - got a ticket on August 2 and there were others with tickets as well in lot 6. Is this the end of the free parking incentive? I was plugged in but someone had unplugged me a day or two after I plugged in (I only know because I was fully charged when I got in the vehicle and my carwings reported such).
Anyone successfully fight this ticket? How can I be liable for someone else's actions taken in a public space?

You may not be able to do that either. There were electric cars parked in the lot which were not parked at charger stations and they too had tickets...I've requested a response from the LAX website responsible for the posting about the free parking.

I don't understand what they could have possibly been ticketed for since that lot is open for parking for anyone outside of the chargers. You simply pay for the parking when you leave the lot (or not, if it is an EV).

gozer123 said:
You may not be able to do that either. There were electric cars parked in the lot which were not parked at charger stations and they too had tickets...I've requested a response from the LAX website responsible for the posting about the free parking.

gozer123 said:

more info please.
"cars" as in 2 or 10?
Typically, I see many Leafs parked throughout the structure and not plugged in.
this defies logic and my experience in parking in lot 1 or 5 or 6.

If you park your car in an EV spot - plugged in or not - and vanish for a several days, doesn't that mean that spot is unavailable for any other EVs that might need a charge ? How is that different from getting an EV spot ICEd ?

To me the ticket looks justified..

mkjayakumar said:
If you park your car in an EV spot - plugged in or not - and vanish for a several days, doesn't that mean that spot is unavailable for any other EVs that might need a charge ? How is that different from getting an EV spot ICEd ?

To me the ticket looks justified..

I agree with you. They should only be used to charge the vehicle, if your not actively charging the vehicle you shouldn't be parked there blocking the charger. If you require a charge after a long trip then you should move it to the spot after you get back and get something to eat while it charges. I ran into a problem like this at Balboa Park in San Diego this weekend EVs just parked in the spots not even plugged in, with the EVSE handle in its cradle right in front of the car. Guess the drivers were to lazy to find a non EV spot. I always see this issue with the damn cars2go.com vehicles just parked there taking up a spot even though they are fully charged or not plugged in. I personaly cant wait for them to start ticketing and towing at Balboa.

Agreed with the above. Those airport spots can be used for airport pickups with EV's that don't have the range for the return trip. Park it, pick up your passenger, and the hour or so it takes buys you enough juice to go home. Or maybe as described, fly back home, move the EV to a station and charge up while getting dinner, etc.

Otherwise, the same rules apply as they would to an ICE - actively charge or get a ticket and maybe get towed. Obvious and clear signage should spell out the rules.

I think I will pass on the chargers and ticket and just park by the elevator to charge with L1 in an unrestricted spot.
We will need to coordinate timers so we can share the duplex outlet. :cool:
BTW what is the price on those tickets? I am already $350 ahead by getting free parking ;)

I would recommend that any EV not plugged in, or plugged on for more than say 4 hours should not only be ticketed but also towed away.

I was in P6 today picking someone up and saw 2 Volts with tickets on the windshield parked in RAV4 charging spots, naturally not plugged-in. What were they thinking? Well, I too had to park in a RAV4 spot, the last vacant, and pull a J-plug from the opposite raw from an empty disabled-parking spot. Not ideal but that was my only option. Wondering if they could ticket me for that. I'm too in the camp that thinks that these chargers should be allowed for short-term use only, or at least some of them. As for free parking, anyone wants to take a guess how long it is going to last?

garygid said:
If you do not want a ticket, do not park in a charging-designated space.

Is this just general wisdom or a response to my question? I needed to charge, any ideas how I can charge while not being parked in a charging-designated space?

Needing to charge is not really the issue.

If you charge where you can get a ticket for being unplugged,
and someone unplugs your car... then you might get a ticket.

With the required signage, your car can even be towed.
How convenient will that be?

selfishness by EV owners is as ugly as selfishness by the ICE crowd.
Things have evolved, so please dont long-term park in a charging spot. this is not spring 2011 when there were a dozen Leafs in SoCal.
the charging should be for plugging in while arriving and departing,or short-term parkers. I think some airport employees also may use them, or they have their own spots.
if you dont have the range to go to0and-from your house or office and want to save the parking fee, you should figure out a way to charge at nearby available spots.
just use the many charge-finder apps.
by the way, there are 14 blinks at LMU about three miles away. they are currently free of fees.

I think the 30 amp (?) stations should charge a nominal fee for being connected. 50 cents per hour for as long as connected, $12 per day.
For free electric, LAX should be installing 100+ regular 120v outlets about every 3rd stall for the long term parking.

Back