411 on volontary recall P1273 LEAF VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsf

a.k.a. Service recall P1273 VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014.

I got this pushed in my car yesterday during my 15K maintenance visit. It took the technician a while (3+ hours) because according to the clerk at the service desk 3 ECUs had to be updated. But when I asked him what the recall was supposed to address or improve he was clueless. I haven't noticed anything so far except the usual charging timer reset and some scratches on the alloy wheels, dirt on my seat and marks on my glove box door, sight...

I did some research on the web about what this is. Some people on MNL mentioned getting a VCM update during their 1st year visit but I don't think this is the same thing. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7569. I had already done the previous recall in early 2011 (LEAF VCM REPROGRAM #P1213) so this one has to be something else, right?

ericsf said:
I did some research on the web about what this is. Some people on MNL mentioned getting a VCM update during their 1st year visit but I don't think this is the same thing. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7569. I had already done the previous recall in early 2011 (LEAF VCM REPROGRAM #P1213) so this one has to be something else, right?
No, this one is different. Here are details on the original P1213. http://dc415.4shared.com/doc/b0ziNuo_/preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone on Seattle FB said it has to do with CC, GOM, and CarWings functions as well as BlueTooth compatibility, but I have received nothing from Nissan.

ENIAC said:
ericsf said:
No, this one is different. Here are details on the original P1213. http://dc415.4shared.com/doc/b0ziNuo_/preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting diagnostic. Reveals how much there is going on behind the scenes inside the LEAF, as if we didn't already know that!

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Well here's what I found. If you go here and click on "CP P1273; LEAF Software Updates Voluntary Service Campaign", it takes you to this description.

INTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode and the shift selector is not in "P". In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging time estimate on the meter display and the distance to empty estimate when using a smartphone or other internet device through Carwings.
I thought this was done previously?

ENIAC said:
Well here's what I found. If you go here and click on "CP P1273; LEAF Software Updates Voluntary Service Campaign", it takes you to this description.

INTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode and the shift selector is not in "P". In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging time estimate on the meter display and the distance to empty estimate when using a smartphone or other internet device through Carwings.

My CarWings once reported a range of 46 miles with a 100% charge while the GOM in the car showed the usual optimistic 100 miles. I rarely “touch ok to accept” when starting the car and I believe this 46 mile anomaly is due to intermittent acceptance causing CarWings to get inadequate data. Maybe one of these updates addresses this.

ENIAC said:

you ask the same thing with the security update for Windows?

are we under the impression it was done perfectly the first time?

what is wrong with an update to the update? that process does seem to be the norm these days.

so i can expect this to take more than half a day?

DaveinOlyWA said:
ENIAC said:

you ask the same thing with the security update for Windows?

what is wrong with an update to the update? that process does seem to be the norm these days.

so i can expect this to take more than half a day?
Sorry dude, don't get your panties in a bunch. All I did was some research and post what I found. If this upsets you, or if you want want to know how long the update will take, I suggest you call Nissan.

From the Nissan site:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmsection.aspx?mseries=+LEAF+(ZE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)+11-12

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmabstract.aspx?id=56866&model=&modelyear=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Code:
NTB12014

NTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode and the shift selector is not in "P". In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging time estimate on the meter display and the distance to empty estimate when using a smartphone or other internet device through Carwings.

Dino said:
My CarWings once reported a range of 46 miles with a 100% charge while the GOM in the car showed the usual optimistic 100 miles. I rarely “touch ok to accept” when starting the car and I believe this 46 mile anomaly is due to intermittent acceptance causing CarWings to get inadequate data. Maybe one of these updates addresses this.
I always OK the Carwings screen, and I get the same behavior. This looks like an obvious bug that they simply forgot to notice. In the software world, it always comes down to they just have to want to fix it. It's certainly possible this could fix it.

Sorry dude.I meant no disrespect. Just clarification. Your comment I mistook to be negative implying that Nissan Needs several tries to get it right. Only pointing out that most software is in a state of constant updating.

INTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle

you ask the same thing with the security update

so i can expect this to take more than half a day?[/quote]Sorry dude, don't get your panties in a bunch. All I did was some research and post what I found. If this upsets you, or if you want want to know how long the update will take, I suggest you call Nissan.[/quote]

saywatt said:
Someone on Seattle FB said it has to do with CC, GOM, and CarWings functions as well as BlueTooth compatibility, but I have received nothing from Nissan.
Can you turn on the fan without having the heater come on when temperature is below 60 degrees? Otherwise, not much of a fix. :twisted:

Yeah, me too!

Stoaty said:
saywatt said:
Can you turn on the fan without having the heater come on when temperature is below 60 degrees? Otherwise, not much of a fix. :twisted:

There have been four versions of the voluntary campaign. The 2011 campaign was the original problem with the "A/C fail to run" and they also added an improved DTE display. Not sure why the 2012 updates are changing so fast. Seems they added the Carwings and timer corrections to the second one, but not sure what's different on the third. Perhaps the only difference is if you have a 11 or 12 model year car, you'll get the "NTB12014" or the "NTB12015" update.

CP 2011 LEAF VCM Reprogram Voluntary Service Campaign

CP P1272 LEAF Software Update Voluntary Service Campaign
CP P1273; LEAF Software Updates Voluntary Service Campaign
CP P1274; LEAF Software Updates - Voluntary Service Campaign

NTB11038

Nissan has determined that some model year 2011 LEAF® vehicles may not go into "READY to drive" mode under certain conditions and, as a result, may not start. Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the VCM (Vehicle Control Module)to correct this condition at no charge for parts or labor. As an additional customer benefit, this reprogramming will also improve the accuracy of the Driving Range Display.

NTB12013

INTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software and a new vehicle owner's manual that will reflect the update. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode. See this bulletin for further detail.

NTB12014

NTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode and the shift selector is not in "P". In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging time estimate on the meter display and the distance to empty estimate when using a smartphone or other internet device through Carwings

NTB12015

INTRODUCTION Based on the vehicle production date, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software and a new vehicle owner's manual that will reflect the updates. Nissan has added an additional driver convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode. In addition, Nissan has improved the accuracy of the distance to empty estimate when using a smartphone or other internet device through Carwings. See this bulletin for further detail.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmsection.aspx?mseries=+LEAF+(ZE0)+11-12

Just got this from Nissan :

DurkaDurka, Nissan is committed to providing the highest level of product quality and customer satisfaction. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your Nissan LEAF™.

REASON FOR CAMPAIGN

Nissan continually improves product performance through ongoing enhancements. Based on the production date of your LEAF vehicle, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software, and also install a lower-apron bracket.

Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P." The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

The lower-apron bracket is a feature added for vehicles used in cold weather areas to prevent the possibility of snow and ice entering and accumulating in the motor compartment.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO

To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your car, your EV-certified Nissan Dealer will update the software at no cost for parts and labor at a time and location that best meet your needs. Typically performed at your Nissan EV Dealer, the update can also be completed by an EV-certified technician at your home or place of business, provided there is a suitable and safe work area. Please discuss with your Nissan EV Dealer regarding timing and location.

In support of this software update, a new owner's manual will also be provided.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Contact your EV-certified Nissan Dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange your appointment:

<DEALER INFO>

This service is free of charge and the work should take about one hour to complete. To ensure the least inconvenience to you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the dealer for service. Please bring this notice with you to your service appointment. Detailed instructions have been sent to your EV-certified Nissan Dealer.

If the dealer is unable to complete the service free of charge, or for any other reason, you may contact the Nissan LEAF Call Center, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll-free number is 1-877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738).

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure ongoing satisfaction with your Nissan LEAF. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

DurkaDurka said:
Just got this from Nissan :

DurkaDurka, Nissan is committed to providing the highest level of product quality and customer satisfaction. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your Nissan LEAF™.

REASON FOR CAMPAIGN

Nissan continually improves product performance through ongoing enhancements. Based on the production date of your LEAF vehicle, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software, and also install a lower-apron bracket.

Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P." The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

The lower-apron bracket is a feature added for vehicles used in cold weather areas to prevent the possibility of snow and ice entering and accumulating in the motor compartment.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO

To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your car, your EV-certified Nissan Dealer will update the software at no cost for parts and labor at a time and location that best meet your needs. Typically performed at your Nissan EV Dealer, the update can also be completed by an EV-certified technician at your home or place of business, provided there is a suitable and safe work area. Please discuss with your Nissan EV Dealer regarding timing and location.

In support of this software update, a new owner's manual will also be provided.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Contact your EV-certified Nissan Dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange your appointment:

<DEALER INFO>

This service is free of charge and the work should take about one hour to complete. To ensure the least inconvenience to you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the dealer for service. Please bring this notice with you to your service appointment. Detailed instructions have been sent to your EV-certified Nissan Dealer.

If the dealer is unable to complete the service free of charge, or for any other reason, you may contact the Nissan LEAF Call Center, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll-free number is 1-877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738).

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure ongoing satisfaction with your Nissan LEAF. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I got a very similar email, except nothing about the lower-apron bracket. I'm in TN, so maybe it doesn't apply, but where are you located?

Seriously! I got excited when I heard there was an update to climate control, a simple "max cold" setting option would make me very happy ... we still can't run the fan without the heater?! this update is a non-event in my world without significant improvements to the winter time climate control functions. Give me control of my own climate damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

saywatt said:
Yeah, me too!

Stoaty said:
saywatt said:

Back