New battery for 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthTexas

Hello y'all. So my drive batteries are starting to wear down. Get maybe 35 miles on full charge. Am wondering has anyone had the batteries replaced? Any problems? Price? I know that the newer leafs have a longer range w/ larger batteries can you replace my old 2011 batteries w/ larger ones? Would it work? What about the computer?

NorthTexas said:
Hello y'all. So my drive batteries are starting to wear down. Get maybe 35 miles on full charge. Am wondering has anyone had the batteries replaced? Any problems? Price? I know that the newer leafs have a longer range w/ larger batteries can you replace my old 2011 batteries w/ larger ones? Would it work? What about the computer?

New battery is about $8500, yes you can get it replaced, but probably not the best use of the $. If you like Leafs, probably better to sell your 2011 and for about the same price, buy a 2015 used Leaf.

You cannot switch out the original size battery pack with a newer high capacity pack.

Generally, you cannot buy a used but "good" battery from a junked Leaf and put it in your Leaf because the car computer is linked to the original battery. Other than a Nissan dealer, there is no way to mate a new (or other used pack) to the car's computer. AFAIK, no one has been able to get a Nissan dealer to mate a pack that was changed out by a non-dealer to do the required mating. For most part, the only way an user can "fix" a bad battery is to buy a used but good battery from a wrecked Leaf, and switching out the individual cells on the old pack with those from the newer pack. A long and arduous process that is fraught with difficulties, not the least of which is the possibility of killing yourself with 400 volts of high amperage DC current, or getting squashed trying to remove or replace the 600 pound battery pack.

Thank you. that is crazy what they are charging for batteries. does not make any sense and almost makes an EV a throw away car after 6 or 7 years.

NorthTexas said:
Thank you. that is crazy what they are charging for batteries. does not make any sense and almost makes an EV a throw away car after 6 or 7 years.
Mostly just a Nissan thing. Not all EVs or batteries are made equal.

stjohnh said:
Generally, you cannot buy a used but "good" battery from a junked Leaf and put it in your Leaf because the car computer is linked to the original battery. Other than a Nissan dealer, there is no way to mate a new (or other used pack) to the car's computer. AFAIK, no one has been able to get a Nissan dealer to mate a pack that was changed out by a non-dealer to do the required mating.

Evsenhanced has a tool to do it and Cor has had a dealership activate a battery swap for him. That said, it is fraught with peril and cell swaps is the best plan. Battery pack (not cell) swaps must be made for that exact model year--there have been a few minor revisions in BMS and battery wiring/case between some of the MYs.

Not currently any way to upgrade either. Nissan won't sell you one of the new 30, 40, or 60 kWh packs. Shame on them.

Back