prepaid maintenance and excess wear & tear protection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfsky

I leased a 2019 Leaf recently.
I got into prepaid maintenance ($680) and excess wear & tear protection ($888) after sales manager's recommendation.
I do have 60 days to cancel these if needed.

As expected, many people here mentioned that this might not worth it in some discussions few years ago.
Is this still the case?

For maintenance, I heard that maintenance is required twice a year.
I heard that it will cost me $300+ per year. So this amounts to $900 for 3 year.
I called maintenance center separately and this is what they told me, but not sure this is really the case.

Any comment or suggestion is appreciated.
Thank you.

Finance manager mentioned the following info from Edmunds.
It mentions that it will cost me around $1200 for 3 years.
https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2018/cost-to-own/

Unless you drive under very harsh conditions, the only maintenance you need for three years is tire rotation, and maybe - MAYBE - one brake fluid flush and a cabin filter change. (I didn't get one flush in 5 years). This is one way that dealerships make money.

surfsky said:
I heard that it will cost me $300+ per year. So this amounts to $900 for 3 year.
I called maintenance center separately and this is what they told me, but not sure this is really the case.
surfsky said:
Finance manager mentioned the following info from Edmunds.
It mentions that it will cost me around $1200 for 3 years.
https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2018/cost-to-own/
Those are are ridiculous amounts. I've never paid anywhere near $300 per year for maintenance for either my previously leased Leaf nor my current used Leaf.

However, if you lease for 3 years/36K miles (don't know the length of your lease), it's possible the tires will be too worn (https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/EndOfLease/Wear_and_Use_Guide.pdf) and you'd get dinged or need to buy tires for a car that you won't own, if you return the car. That said, the total amount being charged is still too high.

You can get an idea of the cost of tires at places like Tire Rack or Costco. Make sure you include cost of balancing and mounting.

Of course the F&I person wants to push more stuff onto you...

I had a set of Goodyear Eagle L/S 3 season tires (replacing the OEM Ecopias after year one) and a set of snow tires that I got mostly used. I was able to sell the all seasons and turned the car in with the snow tires - which is allowed as long as all 4 tires match. I drive fewer miles than most, but almost anyone leasing and staying within the mileage limits can buy just a set of snow tires and nothing more over three years, and turn the car in with one set while selling (or scrapping) the other.

Get your money back.

When I leased my 2018 SL the dealership came at me with all sorts of extended warranties and maintenance plans.
I chose the Road Hazzard plan because of experience in my area with this.
My prior 2 cars were Volvo's, both with low profile tires. Between the 2 cars I had 4 blowouts due to potholes.
That cost me over $300 per tire when you add in installation, balancing, etc. One of the tires was a replacement of one I replaced, so that had a warranty on it. They replaced the tire no charge, but charged me for installation, balancing, etc. ($75).

So for $8 per month I took the Road Hazard plan, this not only included the tire, but the mounting, balancing, etc. So it cost me an additional $288 for the 3 year lease. ($8 x 36 months). I thought it worth it. We shall see.

Also read the owners manual maintenance guide to see what Nissan actually wants done during your lease time vs what the stealership wants to do & of course charge you for.

Typically the dealer wants to do many many things that the company that designed, engineered & built your vehicle thinks is overkill & unnecessary.

TomT said:
Cancel them now! A total ripoff

+1

My dealer charges about $100 for brake fluid flush (maintenance schedule in owner manuals on 2011 and 2015 call for it every 2 years--check your owner manual to confirm requirements). My dealer also does a basic inspection as part of the annual battery test. The first two annual battery tests are free (at least they were for 2011 and 2015) so the only other maintenance expense you should have in 3 years would be wiper blades (or refills), depending upon your climate. I have driven over 120,000 miles so far in LEAFs and my total maintenance expenses (not including tires) for the 3-1/2 years in the 2011 and almost 4 years (so far) in the 2015 are far lower than the ridiculous numbers in the linked Edmunds article. I could probably include all the replacement tire costs for both vehicles and still be below the Edmunds numbers.

I doubt that the insurance against "excess wear and tear" would cover tires so you will likely need new tires during the 3-year lease if you use most of your annual mileage allowance.

Back