Two Battery questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyDan

I've Been driving my 2015 S trim for a month now, put 1,000 miles on it, love it. Winning the campaign to get work to install a Level 2 charging station for me, which would make me love it even more :)

1) Is there a list somewhere of what draws on the 12V accessory battery and when I should start to worry? ex: how long can I blast my stereo, when the vehicle is not moving, without draining the battery? I also am assuming that accessory battery will only recharge when the car is moving (alternator?). I have a 2015 S trim, so no Solar Panel :cry: As a side note, how many people carry around a jumper pack for the accessory battery to allow you to get started even if it is dead?

2) I have noticed that I loose battery charge % quicker on the higher end than the lower end. Is this normal for anyone else? ex: I go from 100% to 75% much quicker than I go from 75% to 50%. Even with all other conditions being similar (heater usage, etc).

Thanks to everyone for providing this great resource for those dipping their toes in the zero emissions pool!

SimplyDan said:
1) Is there a list somewhere of what draws on the 12V accessory battery and when I should start to worry? ex: how long can I blast my stereo, when the vehicle is not moving, without draining the battery? I also am assuming that accessory battery will only recharge when the car is moving (alternator?). I have a 2015 S trim, so no Solar Panel :cry: As a side note, how many people carry around a jumper pack for the accessory battery to allow you to get started even if it is dead?

You can blast your stereo all you want; the 12v battery is charged by the traction battery if necessary, and the solar panel is worthless anyway. There's a million threads on what to do with the 12v battery, but the bottom line is: replace it before it dies, or replace it with a Lithium version (like I did) and you don't have to worry about it dying.

SimplyDan said:
2) I have noticed that I loose battery charge % quicker on the higher end than the lower end. Is this normal for anyone else? ex: I go from 100% to 75% much quicker than I go from 75% to 50%. Even with all other conditions being similar (heater usage, etc).

That's pretty much normal; I suggest getting something like LeafSpy for accurate measurements (will also let you monitor the 12v battery).

The 12V lead acid battery is charged by the lithium ion battery when the car is ON whether moving or not. There are two other modes (ACC & ?) which will drain the 12V (just like a gas car only quicker due to the small sized 12V), especially when used for longer times like listening to the radio while watching the submarine races ;)

Reddy said:
The 12V lead acid battery is charged by the lithium ion battery when the car is ON whether moving or not. There are two other modes (ACC & ?) which will drain the 12V (just like a gas car only quicker due to the small sized 12V), especially when used for longer times like listening to the radio while watching the submarine races ;)

So in short, make sure the car is always in Ready mode, with the little yellow car icon lit, when using accessories. If you want to conserve charge, shut off the climate control.

Latest posts

Back