1st time owner, just bought a used 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasD

Hi All,
I recently bought a 2012 SL Leaf with 30K miles on it. It's currently showing 10/12 bars for battery condition. Can someone help me with a few hopefully easy question for the knowledgeable Leaf owners here. I know very little about them, but will learn.

1) This car has not had the yearly battery service done at the dealer. It was in the dealer, in 2014 for the P3227 upgrade, whatever that is. But hasn't been back to the dealer since. My question is, should I take it in now to have the battery checked out by the dealer?

2) What is the likely hood of the car dropping 2 more bars (warranty) by the end of 2017? I live in Mesa Arizona and will be using it for short daily commutes of about 20-25 miles round trip and some weekend errands.

3) I have read here about getting a program called "Leaf Spy". Can you point me to where I can buy this for my iPhone? Also, what OBDII connection is mostly used? I think I will need get one of those as well., just not sure which one. With this program I guess I can check gids(?) for battery condition, I'll have to read up and learn more about that too. I do have a "Scangauge" that I use on my other car, would this be helpful on the Leaf?

4) I'm planning on buying a 240v EVSE. I'm leaning towards a Clipper Creek LCS-20P right now.

Thanks all, I know these are probably pretty basic question for the Leaf Pro's here, but this EV stuff is all still very new to me.

Doug

Chances are very good that it'll drop and get you a new battery. keep it charged to 100% and let it bake in the sun, then put it in your garage at night to keep the batteries warm. The battery check is not a requirement for warranty support.

Keep in mind the warranty starts with the inservice date and not the manufacture date. You can call nissan to verify the inservice date.

Leafspy app can be found on ios or android store. the app lists recommended dongles. suggest you get it to see how close you are to dropping the next bar. You can post a pic of the screen that lists the AHR and SOH readings if you need help.

Keep in mind late 2017 is not likely to be the end of warranty for that car. It was likely put in service in the Jan-April range in 2012.

My 2012 was made in October 2011 and likely was put in service in November 2011.

Check with Nissan or get a carfax/autocheck report to see when your warranty starts (day the car was sold to the first buyer)

as to Leaf Spy you can go to https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafspy-pro/id967376861?mt=8 or open the app store on your phone and find it.

It's not uncommon for a leaf to sit on a lot for a year prior to sale. Once sold the in service date typically starts.

Are you limited to a 30 amp circuit for your evse ? If not future proof a bit and get a 30-32 amp unit on a 40 amp circuit

Back