Nissan "certified"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttesty

I'll be replacing a 2017 Leaf soon...
i am thinking i'd like to replace it with a new-ish used leaf, and was interested in "Nissan Certified"
(and yes, i am aware it doesn't extend/help the battery warranty)
but i was confused about Nissan's nomenclature,
https://cpo.nissanusa.com
There are confusingly similar designations, "Nissan certified" , "EV Certified" and "Certified Select". Confusing because the "select" is only 6-months or something; but the other two are 7 years.
When I search, it seems like the details on the car only say that it is "Nissan Certified", but that's just a link which leads to this link:
https://www.nissanusa.com/shopping-tools/certified-pre-owned.html which simply explains the difference between the two designations... or is saying it's "nissan certified" just their way of saying "EV Certified"?

On a separate question, I'm assuming i can remote-shop and have it trucked to my local dealer -- as i don't often or rarely see any locally. Is that a thing? how much would that cost in round numbers?

On a third sepaate question: is it correct that as of Jan, the $4k federal tax credit would apply to 2022 (and older) model year? I'm thinking i'd like a 2022.

ttesty said:
On a separate question, I'm assuming i can remote-shop and have it trucked to my local dealer -- as i don't often or rarely see any locally. Is that a thing? how much would that cost in round numbers?
I've been told this is all wrong -- that is to say, the warranty is effectively tied to the dealer that does the certification.
Is that true?
I had assumed it worked more-or-less like the factory warranty -- that is to say, any nissan dealer can service a warantee claim.

And on the other hand, Nissan's literature states (emphasis added)
Nissan Certified Pre-Owned vehicles have a Factory Backed Limited Warranty that can only be offered by a Nissan dealer
https://www.nissanusa.com/shopping-tools/certified-pre-owned.html

Also, i can't find anything specific to their "EV Certified" warranty coverage; everything just says "see your dealer"; we already know the battery doesn't have anything to do with it (it's factory warranty already covers it); so what else is covered for the extended period -- the period after the original factory ends (3 years) and the CPO which is 7 years
(mileage limitations also apply, but i'm not really concerned about that).

I'm interested in a 2020 plus too. When you find out about the EV certification warranty, please post back with the information.

As far as your tax question, you are reading the same as I am. The 2022 qualifies Jan 1, 2024 if it meets all the other requirements.

I finally got the full(er?) CPO warranty info.... my local dealer was OF NO HELP, I asked twice and was assured they would look for it but nothing was forthcoming; presumably because they have zero CPO leafs and there would be nothing in it for them.

So... I spoke with a very knowledgable gentleman from Schomp Nissan in Colorado -- they have a bunch of CPO leafs, and he sent me the .pdf by email promptly.

Here's the part that would be of interest, under what's covered, the extended powertrain warrantee:

HYBRID / ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV): Traction Motor, Power Converter, Inverter Unit, Reduction Gear/Transaxle, EV Cables, DC/DC Converter, Onboard Charger, Onboard Charger Connector, and Trickle Charge Cable.

These parts are certainly pretty reliable but do konk out here and there, and as always if they do, it would be $$$$.

here's the pdf:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any thoughts on buying a CPO leaf from a distant dealer? Shipping would add about $600 to the cost.

If the car is $600 less then what you can buy locally, it may work out if the car is EV certified.

If you planning on getting the tax credit, then I would want to know if the $600 is considered a dealer fee or somehow puts you over $25,000. Of course if you meet the income limits and you get your money upfront, then it's the dealership responsibility.

We bought our first used EV (Certified 2022 Kia Niro) in January from an out-of state dealership, had it shipped for $700, found that it didn't qualify for a couple of CA rebates/incentives. Bought our second EV (2020 Leaf SL+) in March from an in-state dealership, got the rebates. For transport, both cara were required to have security systems installed, an extra $500 each.

Back