Charging while Renting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

I have a L2 EVSE in my house, but will be moving to Georgia. I'll be renting a house, but don't know what I'll do with my Leaf whose lease still has another 7 months to go. NMAC says I can move the car but charging is an issue.

Relying on public charging stations is highly inconvenient and L1 is very slow. Workplace does not have any EV charging stations. Any options for a house renter for home-based charging?

BillM said:
I have a L2 EVSE in my house, but will be moving to Georgia. I'll be renting a house, but don't know what I'll do with my Leaf whose lease still has another 7 months to go. NMAC says I can move the car but charging is an issue.

Relying on public charging stations is highly inconvenient and L1 is very slow. Workplace does not have any EV charging stations. Any options for a house renter for home-based charging?

I would talk to the landlord and see if they would allow putting in a 208/240V outlet in the garage. They may ask you to pay for it and leave it when you leave but I think it would be worth it (depending on the run and cost).

L1 is slow but depending on how far you drive it might be "good enough". If there's a dryer outlet in the garage you might be able to utilize that as well with an appropriate adapter and EVSE.

Otherwise, agree that talking to the landlord, and possibly offering to pay would be a good idea.

You can probably get by on L1 if no 240V outlet is available. But there are quite a few public charging facilities around the Atlanta area if you need something faster. I've still never used one (I charge at home) but they are around.

Have you signed a lease yet? I heard all Post properties in Atlanta will have charging stations in common areas, free, "as an amenity for renters."

You can call them to find out how soon and how they will be managed.

Here is the link:

http://electrifyatlanta.com/wp/?page_id=118

condo / apartment complexes in Atlanta with EV charging.

Many houses will have dryer outlets in the garage. Also, 240v outlets for welders, power tools or RVs are not uncommon. All can be used for EV charging. If you're still shopping for a house to rent, put that on your must have list. What kind of EVSE do you have?

I don't rent, but I charge exclusively on L1. Do you really drive so much that you NEED L2? If you sleep at some point in the day, chances are you and the car can recharge at the same time.

Otherwise the easiest solution would be those 220VAC adapters that take 2 110VAC leads and make 1 220VAC outlet. You plug each end of the 110VAC into different outlets probably on the different sides of the house and that uses both legs, just like how the dryer outlet is wired.

That is not "just how the dryer outlet is wired"! That outlet uses a 3 wire plus ground cable connected directly to the service panel, which is much safer than using two circuits at once.

LeftieBiker said:
That is not "just how the dryer outlet is wired"! That outlet uses a 3 wire plus ground cable connected directly to the service panel, which is much safer than using two circuits at once.

No duh, the point is the 2 phase is split in a house for the most part except for large appliances. There's no reason you can't rejoin them.

You would get 2 hots, 2 neutrals, and 2 grounds with the phase combiner so even better if that's your point.

Thanks for all the thoughtful ideas.

inphoenix said:
I would talk to the landlord and see if they would allow putting in a 208/240V outlet in the garage. They may ask you to pay for it and leave it when you leave but I think it would be worth it (depending on the run and cost).

If I am able to get a 208/240V in the garage, what hardware would you recommend using? I'm considering leaving my EVSE in my old house.

BillM said:
Thanks for all the thoughtful ideas.

inphoenix said:

If I am able to get a 208/240V in the garage, what hardware would you recommend using? I'm considering leaving my EVSE in my old house.

Do you mean a new EVSE? I just bought a JuiceBox 40 ( a true 40 A system so needs a 50A breaker) and pretty happy with it so far. Though some forum members prefer Clipper Creek HCS-40 (32A system so 40A breaker will work).

2k1Toaster said:
LeftieBiker said:

No duh, the point is the 2 phase is split in a house for the most part except for large appliances. There's no reason you can't rejoin them.

You would get 2 hots, 2 neutrals, and 2 grounds with the phase combiner so even better if that's your point.

The point is that using two outlets (double the risk of worn socket-related failure) and two extension cords (with associated risks, times two) is much less safe than using a single 240 volt outlet. You can choose not to accept that, Homer, but I'm going to try to counter bad advice when it's posted. Using a circuit combiner as a regular charging power supply is dangerous and unwise.

BillM said:

If it is an existing circuit, you would need an EVSE that matches the current rating of the circuit. For a rental house, I would consider an EVSE that has adjustable pilot signal so it can be used on circuits ranging from 15 amperes to 40 amperes. GE makes a basic residential unit (available through Home Depot or Amazon) that can be adjusted with a jumper wire to accommodate different circuit ratings. It is designed to be hard wired, but you could put a cord and plug on it to match an existing receptacle and set the pilot signal accordingly. QuickChargePower (http://www.QuickChargePower.com) sells the portable JESLA and various plug adapters that accommodate a wide range of circuit ratings. The OpenEVSE hardware available in kit form or as an assembled unit from various sources has programmable pilot signal to accommodate a wide range of circuit ratings.

If a new circuit will be installed, a Clipper Creek EVSE with appropriate current rating is a good choice.

2k1Toaster said:
Otherwise the easiest solution would be those 220VAC adapters that take 2 110VAC leads and make 1 220VAC outlet. You plug each end of the 110VAC into different outlets probably on the different sides of the house and that uses both legs, just like how the dryer outlet is wired.
The devil is in the details.

You have to have two 120V outlets connected to opposite sides of the panel. Not all that common.

And then the adapter has to be properly designed to be safe with appropriate relays to be safe.
A few are.
Many are downright unsafe.

Back