2nd "WE REALLY NEED YOUR LEAF" letter from Dustin Fleishman

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the folks at Autonation Marietta. 1st one was by mail, this one by email. Both exactly the same...Nissan has a HUGE demand for used Leaf's...but, in truth, the same dealership that sent the letter says Nissan will not take the Leaf on trade.

Dustin was nice enough to send a few emails, and did say the letters are little more then marketing ploys to trick people into coming in. Kinda refreshing hearing a car salesman admit they're dishonest low-lifes!

Most dealerships do this. I got two priority letters from my dealer saying I'm among a limited few that qualify for lease pull ahead. In both letters, they say, "this is not an advertisement" (lol)- and when I contacted them about it- nope, LEAF doesn't qualify.

kubel said:
Most dealerships do this. I got two priority letters from my dealer saying I'm among a limited few that qualify for lease pull ahead. In both letters, they say, "this is not an advertisement" (lol)- and when I contacted them about it- nope, LEAF doesn't qualify.

I've lost track of the number of these I've gotten over the years...I followed up on this one because they gave me a free $25 gift card just for showing up - and I juiced the leaf up while I was there.

I sure hope Nissan is being honest with new buyers about their "no buy back" policy on the Leafs.

kubel said:
Most dealerships do this. I got two priority letters from my dealer saying I'm among a limited few that qualify for lease pull ahead....snip.....
.... yea, you can pretty much translate those ads as saying, "we really need you to be as dumb as we hope you are ..."
everyone gets these ads - kinda like their specials for changing your leaf's oil
:roll:

hill said:
kubel said:
Most dealerships do this. I got two priority letters from my dealer saying I'm among a limited few that qualify for lease pull ahead....snip.....
.... yea, you can pretty much translate those ads as saying, "we really need you to be as dumb as we hope you are ..."
everyone gets these ads - kinda like their specials for changing your leaf's oil
:roll:

ha! Yes, I had to bite my tongue when they gave me the $25 gift card to a GAS STATION!...but I still have a gas car, so I was happy to go in and talk to them as my leaf was charging on their level 3 charger. I think they've sent about 3 oil change vouchers to me for my leaf.

Not the smartest folks in the world of car sales.

2014GunMetalSL said:
I sure hope Nissan is being honest with new buyers about their "no buy back" policy on the Leafs.
Ummmm, you do realize that this was simply another lie they told you? There is no Nissan "no buy back" policy. Nissan has no control and no financial interest in whether trade ins are accepted. The dealer is the only one that makes decisions about that. This dealer didn't want to do it because they couldn't offer you enough to entice you into a deal on a new car. Rather than say that, they shifted the blame to Nissan. A dealer will take pretty much ANY car in trade (at wholesale prices) if it will make them a sale. If they don't want it on their lot, they simply send it to auction and some other dealer picks it up.

davewill said:
2014GunMetalSL said:
Ummmm, you do realize that this was simply another lie they told you? There is no Nissan "no buy back" policy. Nissan has no control and no financial interest in whether trade ins are accepted. The dealer is the only one that makes decisions about that. This dealer didn't want to do it because they couldn't offer you enough to entice you into a deal on a new car. Rather than say that, they shifted the blame to Nissan. A dealer will take pretty much ANY car in trade (at wholesale prices) if it will make them a sale. If they don't want it on their lot, they simply send it to auction and some other dealer picks it up.

Well, you're only mostly wrong. ;)

After the salesman at Autonation said it was nissan's policy, I took the car to 2 other nissan dealerships - capital city nissan and nalley nissan. Both stated (in oddly similar language) that they had a policy of not taking an Leaf's on trade.

Georgia (the second highest Leaf sales in US) leased a lotta Leafs. According to the salesmen (and woman) I spoke to, with the tax credit ending, Nissan is worried about a "Lease Bomb" and "Lease Bubble". According to all the dealerships, they are waiting for the "Dust to settle" after credit, and see where the inventory numbers are. None of the dealerships would offer a number for a trade, but all three were very desperate to sell me a new one.

But under normal circumstances, yes, what you said is pretty obvious.

2014GunMetalSL said:
After the salesman at Autonation said it was nissan's policy, I took the car to 2 other nissan dealerships - capital city nissan and nalley nissan. Both stated (in oddly similar language) that they had a policy of not taking an Leaf's on trade.

Georgia (the second highest Leaf sales in US) leased a lotta Leafs. According to the salesmen (and woman) I spoke to, with the tax credit ending, Nissan is worried about a "Lease Bomb" and "Lease Bubble". According to all the dealerships, they are waiting for the "Dust to settle" after credit, and see where the inventory numbers are. None of the dealerships would offer a number for a trade, but all three were very desperate to sell me a new one.

But under normal circumstances, yes, what you said is pretty obvious.
But Nissan has no authority to set such a policy. The traded in cars belong to the dealer, Nissan never touches them. It may be that Nissan has scared all the dealers and maybe they don't qualify for some Nissan certified pre-owned program, but it's still the dealer's decision and no one else's whether they take the LEAF in trade. So I stand by my statement, they didn't offer a trade because they didn't want to, not because Nissan told them no.

Agreed! And another argument toward why dealers are terrified of Tesla and their model... (I've received a number of those "promotions" myself, including one in the mail just today...)

davewill said:
So I stand by my statement, they didn't offer a trade because they didn't want to, not because Nissan told them no.

This just happened to my sister. Since 2011, she has traded her 1 year old leaf for a newer model to take advantage of the tax credits. She would get a good trade, and an even better deal on a new car, and walk away each year with money in her pocket.

She tried to trade her 2014 three weeks ago and was very politely told, “sorry, we can’t take your trade right now”.

Apparently Nissan believes the world is going to end once the Georgia tax credit ends. Record low gas prices are also throwing a little cold water on the “buy a new Leaf every year” tax shuffle.

Back