Got passed by a Tesla :)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockWI

I have to share this, mostly because most other people wouldn't get it. I was on may way to pick up some home supply stuff and driving in a four lane divided road, I saw a car a ways back in the left lane slowly catching up with me, didn't think much of it. I went around a small curve and the next thing I know the car is just back in my blind spot. I thought what the heck? Then he pulls up next to me, rolled down his passenger window, smiled and waved. I looked at him all confused like, wondering, do I know this guy? Waived back and then he slowly moved up and passed me. Then I noticed, it was a Tesla S, and I had the ahhhhhh moment and off he went.

Up here you don't see many of leaf's much less a Tesla, it was nice :)

Great story, here in Southern California there are tons of them, we had 3 show up to our EV Meet... I tend to want to race other Leafs when I see them.

One thing I like to add is that My color is Burgundy, Maroon, not the Fire Engine Red, well Tesla only made 1000 Model S in Burgundy and that's it, the color they offer is Red.

Fred

I get passed on the freeway sometimes by Teslas too. The drivers always wave, which is nice. Kinda like when i had my '81 Honda triple motorcycle and people on Ducatis would wave. Then I have to pull off for a quick charge. Haha.

I get the feeling like some kind of critical mass is being reached. we have 5 EV's in our neighborhood. A white Tesla drove by the house yesterday, I was sure they were looking for my 80A charging station listed on plug share, nope, just taking a drive. Then today we did a little easter egg hunt at the neighbors next door and one of their relatives pulled up in a Leaf. Turns out they were the 3rd Leaf in that family!

The bug is catching and I feel so fortunate to be around to witness this see change... who would have thunk that EV's and solar panels would be the topic du jour in suburbia!?

Wennfred said:
Great story, here in Southern California there are tons of them, we had 3 show up to our EV Meet...
DNAinaGoodWay said:
At our local plug in day event, there were 5 Teslas, 2 LEAFs, and 2 Volts, and that's about the ratio I see on the road.
We counted 12 Model Ss and 4 Roadsters at our event, but only 7 LEAFs...and that was at just one of four events around Washington, DC. But I've only seen one Tesla Model S in the wild. I guess they must all be near the city and I am a ways out. I see LEAFs occasionally.
Wennfred said:
...I tend to want to race other Leafs when I see them.
How about when you see a Model S? :lol:

For the past few months I have seen some sort of plug in every day. Now it's almost every day I see at least one Model S... or if not instead I see a few Volts, Leafs, or PiPs. Regular Prii are truly everywhere here... like, every intersection it seems. :)

I used to get a lot of gripe over why I got the leaf from the dumb asses at work, well today with the gas prices at $4.35 and could be possibly hitting over $5.00 this summer, I tell them who's laughing now!!

I like to stay along side the mustangs and if a Model S pulls up, I will check my LeafDD first and then chase it down hahaha

I also seen a Tesla in my town (the first so far, even though we have 3 LEAFs) and I honked my horn and he waved! :)

I'd get a poster and put it in your back window when you park at work that said:

I FILLED UP THIS MORNING
AND SPENT $2.20
HOW MUCH DID U SPEND!!!!?
LMAO

Wennfred said:
I used to get a lot of gripe over why I got the leaf from the dumb asses at work, well today with the gas prices at $4.35 and could be possibly hitting over $5.00 this summer, I tell them who's laughing now!!

I like to stay along side the mustangs and if a Model S pulls up, I will check my LeafDD first and then chase it down hahaha

I commute between San Francisco and Fremont every day (where the Tesla factory is located). Some mornings, I see more Tesla Model S on the road than LEAFs... and we have a lot of LEAFs already.

Last summer I was doing an Alaskan cruise and saw a Model S in Ketchikan, AK. THAT was a surprise.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I get the feeling like some kind of critical mass is being reached. we have 5 EV's in our neighborhood. A white Tesla drove by the house yesterday, I was sure they were looking for my 80A charging station listed on plug share, nope, just taking a drive. Then today we did a little easter egg hunt at the neighbors next door and one of their relatives pulled up in a Leaf. Turns out they were the 3rd Leaf in that family!

The bug is catching and I feel so fortunate to be around to witness this see change... who would have thunk that EV's and solar panels would be the topic du jour in suburbia!?
You live in a different world there on the West Coast. I've only seen one LEAF in the wild and that was when I was visiting Portland. And the only Model S I've ever seen was in one of their mall stores, also in Oregon. I do know someone here with a Volt, but that's it for plug-in cars in my six county area.

On the north shore of Chicago, Leaf sitings are becoming less rare, same with Teslas. My wife is slowly becoming a leaf fanatic, trying to record the different number EV plates as she sees them.

The leaf drivers generally still give each other a small wave or toot. Tesla drivers seem to feel they are in a different class of car, so less likely.

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA so about 4.5 hours west of Chicago and Leaf's are starting to gain traction here. I think I've personally seen about 5 or 6 different Leaf's around here which is pretty good. To my surprise though, I was sitting at a traffic light waiting for it to turn green and I saw a car out of the corner of my eye that looked a bit "different". I've seen a lot of videos and pictures of a Tesla, but never seen one in person. I almost gave myself whiplash spinning my head around just in time to catch the big T on the back of the car. Sure enough it was a Tesla Model S. I believe it was either red or burgundy but was night time when I saw it. We are no big town by any means and was completely shocked to have seen it. I've only seen it once, kind of been watching to see if I see it again but I haven't yet.

My 72 house neighborhood in San Diego now has two Rav4 EV's (both at my house), two Spark EV's (both at the same house), and one Tesla Model S.

There are now 4 houses with solar.

More and more Leafs appearing in the DFW area. I see at least 1-2 a day not including my own. I see a Tesla about once a month so it is still a rare treat!

I have noticed that all the ICE owners go up to the Leaf owners to inquire about their ride

...but they are not available because all the Leaf owners are over talking to the Tesla owner! :lol:

Particularly fun to wave at the three LEAFs and 1 Tesla that I see in my weekly travels as I drive my daily pattern here in Martinez, CA... When I go drive random deliveries around the Bay Area... I see dozens. At least 2 Tesla Model S and the occasional roadster a day and many LEAF and gobs of plug in hybrids... hundreds of Prii.

Keep the brotherhood of the electron alive... wave at the others... keep the energy positive.

Back