Goodbye Nissan Leaf, hello Kia Soul EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILETRIC said:
I did inflate them to 38 psi (44 max) as soon as we brought our Soul home. Hopefully we can bring them bald back to the dealer at 45,000 miles, with my wife following me in Model III :cool:
if you bring the tires in bald they will charge you to replace them J/S

I said it it jest.

I have yet to see original tires last any longer than 30,000 miles, i.e. our '11 Leaf Ecopias. The tires on our '94 Dodge Caravan lasted only 8,000.

so max TP is 44 PSI?

I have always had my OEMs last near to their rating but then again, Max range usually requires Max TP...
just saying

You would be ill advised to run tiles on max rated pressure because you're crossing it once the tire gets hot driving. I've done that long long time ago and actually wore out the center.

6 psi down from max rated (maybe 5 psi in winter) seems just right. The tire is not too hard (better grip) and will wear evenly. And give you best mpg, of course. I've been doing this on all of my cars and never had any problem with uneven tread wear. I also do alignment with every set of new tires.

I do fine with 10% below the max pressure, usually 40psi. No uneven wear and no hot tires. I also get long tire life, usually replacing them due to age, not wear.

ILETRIC said:
You would be ill advised to run tiles on max rated pressure because you're crossing it once the tire gets hot driving.
The max tire pressure is the max cold tire pressure. It's absolutely fine to exceed that pressure when hot.

Some vehicles's recommended pressure is the same as the tire's listed max pressure. Ford F150 comes to mind here - recommended pressure = 36 psi and the max pressure on the sidewall was also 36 psi.

ILETRIC said:
You would be ill advised to run tiles on max rated pressure because you're crossing it once the tire gets hot driving. I've done that long long time ago and actually wore out the center.

6 psi down from max rated (maybe 5 psi in winter) seems just right. The tire is not too hard (better grip) and will wear evenly. And give you best mpg, of course. I've been doing this on all of my cars and never had any problem with uneven tread wear. I also do alignment with every set of new tires.

since you say this and don't believe the 36 PSI reference in a later post I'm going to quote tire rack for you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maintenance Tips to Increase Tire Performance, Life and Durability

Check and adjust first thing in the morning. Set according to the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire pressure(s) recommended on the vehicle's tire placard or in its owner's manual. This must be done before rising ambient temperatures, the sun's radiant heat or even driving short distances temporarily warms the tires.

Accommodating Variables

Indoor-to-outdoor Temperature Variation. Significant differences between the conditions tire pressures are set (the warmth of an attached garage, heated garage or service shop) and in which the vehicle will be driven (winter's subfreezing temperatures) requires inflating tires 1 psi higher than recommended on the placard for every 10° F difference in temperature between interior and exterior temperatures.

Afternoon Ambient Temperature Increase.* Set 2 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations when installing new tires or if the vehicle has been parked in the shade for a few hours.

Tire Heat Generated While Being Driven (or at speeds of less than 45 mph).* - Set 4 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations.

Heat Generated While Being Driven Extensively (or at sustained speeds greater than 45 mph).* Set 6 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations.

Do Not Release Hot Tire Pressure if any of these variables could be the cause of measured tire pressure exceeding the maximum psi branded on the tire's sidewall by the 2, 4 or 6 psi indicated above for the various conditions. This temporary pressure increase is expected and designed into the tire's capabilities.

you set the tire pressure in the cold, shade. If it goes above sidewall max due to usage or temperature swings then so be it, don't adjust down just because it goes higher.

ILETRIC said:
drees said:
Ford F150 comes to mind here - recommended pressure = 36 psi and the max pressure on the sidewall was also 36 psi.
Sorry, but I don't even remotely believe it.

I picked a random F150 on tirerack and found an OEM tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+Long+Trail+T%2FA&partnum=66TR8LONGTTAOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2010&autoModel=F150%20FX2%204x2&autoModClar=Super%20Cab&tab=Specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

35 psi max on the sidewall.

So I guess you are saying you don't believe that Ford suggests you air it up to 35 PSI?

http://www.f150forum.com/f2/best-psi-mileage-proper-treadwear-145707/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what the door sticker says. which is like 35psi.

and most of the people in that thread are running 40 or above.

I'm not sure why you don't believe simple things like this.

Previous experience with regular 44 psi Michelin tires.
Fact of a matter is, when I ran my Michelins at 44 psi I wore out the center. That was the lesson.

ILETRIC said:

I found 44psi to be the best pressure for the Ecopias on my 2012. After 25000 miles the treadwear was even across the tires and they were still serviceable. Contrast that with many reports of premature shoulder wear, often from people following Nissan's 36psi recommendation. Also I generally preferred the handling at 44psi; turn-in was crisper, handling had less wallow overall, reduced tramlining and it removed a vague tendency to hunt towards the right. In my opinion the higher pressure helped to offset the effect of very soft and supple sidewalls and the LEAF's considerable weight.

I've just gotten a 2015 that has the Michelin tires so I'm curious to see what the best pressure turns out to be for those. Whenever I get a new car I tend to slowly bracket the tire pressures 1 or 2 psi at a time until I find the best handling compromise that suits my taste. I also rotate my own tires which gives me a chance to spot any unusual wear patterns fairly early. Of all my cars, the 2012 LEAF was my largest excursion from the OEM recommendations, but still within the listed sidewall pressures.

I thought the reason the tire pressure is stamped on the car is because for that car's weight on each axle that's the pressure at which the tire has the correct contact patch and sidewall flex, based on the specs of the tire (the load inflation table). It was never clear how you would know that was still correct once you replaced the tires, seems like you would need to know the weight on each wheel and go to the LIT for the new tire to be sure.
Why I would mention that in the context of a guy switching from a leaf to a soul escapes me.

"I've just gotten a 2015 that has the Michelin tires so I'm curious to see what the best pressure turns out to be for those. Whenever I get a new car I tend to slowly bracket the tire pressures 1 or 2 psi at a time until I find the best handling compromise that suits my taste. I also rotate my own tires which gives me a chance to spot any unusual wear patterns fairly early. Of all my cars, the 2012 LEAF was my largest excursion from the OEM recommendations, but still within the listed sidewall pressures."

My 2013 Leaf with Michelins show no wear problems at 13K miles with 42 psi.

i wanted to go today to go test drive the kia soul, didn't get to today but i will be soon. My leaf was handed down and replaced 6 months in with the Toyota Rav4, i have never had any range anxiety or troubles. Next car will be a model s or 3.

I am just shocked that nobody even mentioned Soul comes only with Manual transmission

Did you guys know it?

Guess what, the Leaf only comes with a "manual" transmission too! One gear in forward and the same gear in reverse! :lol:

misterno said:
I am just shocked that nobody even mentioned Soul comes only with Manual transmission

Back