Included cable with 2015 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wufnu

Hi All,

I'm interested in leasing a '15 Leaf and went to the dealer today to check rates, etc. I wanted the 6.6kW charging package on the S trim, which they had available. However, when I mentioned getting a home charging station he said, "oh, you don't need one of those. The upgraded cable that comes with the charging package does that. It can charge at 6.6kW and works off of 110 or 220 outlets."

This doesn't jive with everything I've read about the included cable. Further, the amperage required at 115V is extremely high so I don't understand why he said it could charge the car in a few hours on a normal outlet. That's ridiculous. I said, "Yah, but in a normal outlet it takes around 21 hours to charge from 0%, right?" He said no. He said it worked at 110 or 220 volts. Does Nissan have an upgraded cable option? I told him I hadn't heard anything about that cable and that every report I read mentioned that the included cable took 20+ hours to fully charge the batteries from 0%. He said, "it's all in how you order it; I got the owner to only order a Leaf if it had the charging package and the upgraded cable". What? That wasn't on their options list.

He owns a Leaf...

I"v read here that some dealers are selling EVSEupgrade(d) cables with Leafs, but you'd have to confirm that. It's also well known that Nissan salescreatures will lie with no shame at all.

I'm sure he just has no idea what he is talking about or is just making stuff up. I'm not sure why though because it's not going to take long before one realizes that he is full of it. Your instincts and readings are spot on. Hopefully you can find a more trustworthy sales person/dealership.

Before you sign any papers, check the cable. Once you determine that it's not an upgraded unit, make them deduct $350 from the agreed on price. :D

Even the upgraded EVSE is probably limited to 16, or at most 20 amps
on 240v, which is only 4.8 kW (240 x 20 = 4800 watts).

Perhaps the "other" (not Nissan included) EVSE that I have seen in
at least one dealership will support higher power, like 30 amps?
If so, it would need a 40 amp breaker, or more.
However, I do not remember any "amazing" feature, except it
had an attachment or option what would make it work at 240v.

Anybody know the features for sure?

smkettner said:
Take a pic of the disclosure label on the OEM brick. We would like to see it.

I looked at mine. It is the 20A rated J1772 connector with 12 AWG and the label says 120VAC 12A 60Hz. I can post pictures later today.

billg said:
Before you sign any papers, check the cable. Once you determine that it's not an upgraded unit, make them deduct $350 from the agreed on price. :D

$350?? I would say THANK YOU!! my local dealer has them but they are like $550ish or so

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think it might have just been a cable upgraded to 240V capability but he was just too salesman-like to point out that the 110V charge rate is abysmal. He only charged his at work so he probably wasn't too into the cable.

In the end it doesn't matter much as the lease quotes I've gotten from other dealers are like $100 less per month. So far the best I've gotten was from a dealership in Marietta, supposedly the dealership that has sold the most Leafs (leaves??) in the USA. I'd be open to suggestions from others for particular dealers to check out. I'm in the Lagrange area but I'd be willing to drive a couple hours if it'll save me a lot of money.

Thanks again!

Wufnu said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think it might have just been a cable upgraded to 240V capability but he was just too salesman-like to point out that the 110V charge rate is abysmal. He only charged his at work so he probably wasn't too into the cable.

In the end it doesn't matter much as the lease quotes I've gotten from other dealers are like $100 less per month. So far the best I've gotten was from a dealership in Marietta, supposedly the dealership that has sold the most Leafs (leaves??) in the USA. I'd be open to suggestions from others for particular dealers to check out. I'm in the Lagrange area but I'd be willing to drive a couple hours if it'll save me a lot of money.

Thanks again!

whats the lease quote in marietta? Im in so cal lookig also

I just leased a 2015 SV with 6.6 charger. BOUGHT a TurboCord from the dealer that sounds like what you're talking about. It was $600. It uses a 220 outlet with 20amp breaker.

Andolyn said:
whats the lease quote in marietta? Im in so cal lookig also

Marietta, GA.

Best I've gotten so far was $269/month, 36 month lease, 12k miles/year. That price is $0 down, includes destination charge, and all taxes (including TAVT). Supposedly. I'm expecting a bait and switch or similar. These were email quotes, no official paperwork quotes, so I don't entirely trust them.

Yes, Many dealers stock our upgraded units. It's easy to check, just look for the black L6-30 twist-lock male connector coming out of the unit instead of the standard 120v plug (NEMA 5-15):

evse-g2h-ug-bright.jpg

The unit should also be provided with an included 120V adapter:

L6-30to120.jpg

-Phil

Thanks for the confirmation, Phil.

I'd also like to say that I'm glad you're doing what you're doing. It's a true boon to the community.

briankwest said:
I've noticed that the EVSEUpgrade for 2015 is limited to 16 amps on 240, Is this a recent change?

i thought it was 20 amps?? or is that just for the 2014's??

my upgrade goes to 25 amps but is apparently only a short window for the 2013's I guess??

Back