Do All Nissan Dealers Have Chargers? Do They Charge $?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycenphil

I was at the Nissan dealer yesterday, and he mentioned that his charger is available 24/7, and they sometimes have Volts charge up there too.

Wondering:

Do all Nissan dealers have chargers?
Are most available 24/7?
Do they charge you if you didn't buy the car there?
How about Chevy dealers?

Graycenphil said:
Do all Nissan dealers have chargers? NO
Are most available 24/7? NO, but it is up to the dealer
Do they charge you if you didn't buy the car there? Usually, no.
How about Chevy dealers? Don't know in general... The one by me has two chargers and anyone is welcome to us them...

Most if not all Nissan dealers have 220/L2 charging stations, and I think they will "always" be free.

A small but growing percent have DCQC "fast" chargers, and I think the dealers are encouraged by Nissan to offer them for free for a year after first installation. I have yet to experience a dealer that does charge yet, even though I have experienced one being out of service (so best to call ahead when planning a trip that would require one).

Another difference is that L2s are often accessible 24/7 and require no "activation"; DCQCs are only open during business hours and require activation (by swiping a "fob") by someone from the dealership.

mbender said:
Another difference is that L2s are often accessible 24/7 and require no "activation"; DCQCs are only open during business hours and require activation (by swiping a "fob") by someone from the dealership.

This is only true for the QCs installed on the West Coast last year. The recent QC installations all seem to require no keyfob, or they just require a Chargepoint card, which most Leaf drivers already have. There are even QCs on the West Coast that initially needed the dealership keyfob to work and now have been changed to accept Chargepoint cards.

NYLEAF said:
This is only true for the QCs installed on the West Coast last year. The recent QC installations all seem to require no keyfob, or they just require a Chargepoint card, which most Leaf drivers already have. There are even QCs on the West Coast that initially needed the dealership keyfob to work and now have been changed to accept Chargepoint cards.
This is great news!

Graycenphil said:
Are most available 24/7?

In Plattsburgh (upstate New York), the Nissan dealer used to charge for the L2, but got asked by Nissan to back off. So now, they will have you pay a 50$ fee to use the parking spot in front of the charger (charger is free, parking is not). Crazy right? Well, since they have the ONLY charger in the area, they still get people who are STUCK to pay the fee. If you get your car fixed there, and they charge it up afterwards, they charge you 50$.

They were on PlugShare, but had such horrible comments, the location has been deleted.

I placed a complaint to Nissan USA, who -NEVER FOLLOWED UP-. I think they're just too afraid to lose their only Leaf dealership in that area.

Most chargers at dealerships are placed behind closed gates after business hours, so they are not accessible 24/7 at all. Do check PlugShare.com to see if the specific charger you need access to has comments about its availability, or you might have a bad surprise.

mbender said:
I'm hoping that's $50 per year, which would only be a little nuts. $50 per visit would be bat "guano" crazy, as they say.

No, 50$ to use the parking spot in front of the charger, at every single visit. No mulla, no juice.

And even if you get your car fixed there, they charge you $50 to charge it?! I would never return to that dealership, under any circumstances.

cwerdna said:
^^
$50!!??!?! Are they nuts?

You should add it back to Plugshare.

Garrand Nissan is still on PS, it's marked restricted and payment required, check your filter settings.

It's the only L2 for many miles either way off of 87 and they know it. But, at least you can still use it. There's a couple of dealers in NH who refuse everybody, even LEAFs. They don't want money, they want EVs to go away.

Graycenphil said:
I was at the Nissan dealer yesterday, and he mentioned that his charger is available 24/7, and they sometimes have Volts charge up there too.

Wondering:

Are most available 24/7?
How about Chevy dealers?

Most dealers around you have L2 and let you use them free, including Chevy and some Fords and Toyotas. 24/7 varies, some lots are closed after hours. Cargill Chevrolet in Putnam is very nice.

CHAdeMO has appeared a half of the MA dealers and so far 2 in CT, none in RI. Same terms. Only Hadley MA restricts it to customers, so they win the prize. Don't know why they bothered putting one in.

There's still a lot of gaps, even in L2 coverage. It's only the beginning here still. Many people here are totally unaware that BEVs exist.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Garrand Nissan is still on PS, it's marked restricted and payment required, check your filter settings.

It's the only L2 for many miles either way off of 87 and they know it. But, at least you can still use it.

Who here would pay for a 50$ charge? I guess they figured filling up with gas is around 50$, and so should an electric charge.

SimonMTL said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

It's the only L2 for many miles either way off of 87 and they know it. But, at least you can still use it.

Who here would pay for a 50$ charge? I guess they figured filling up with gas is around 50$, and so should an electric charge.

Heck, that's a great business model; free charger, already existing parking spot that generated zero in direct revenue now is worth $50 every 30 minutes.

I want to install one across the street and just charge $49.

Try that with a gas station in an isolated location.

Doesn't NY have laws against fuel price gouging? Like during the super storm?

Upstate NY is totally void of L2. Better to use RT 7 on the west side of VT.

Back