EVS comes back to LA for 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I was talking to Richard K. about EVS this weekend, and how I was there the last time it rolled through (2007 at the Anaheim Convention Center). Anyway, as it happens, it's back in LA for 2012 (LA Convention Center), and the exhibit hall and ride-and-drive parts of the event are generally open to the public and free! So save the date - May 6-9, 2012:

http://www.evs26.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Michael,

Thanks for doing the Huntington Beach Goes Green expo with us this year. It was amazing having five people this year working the Plug In America booth. Add that to the fact that there were a total of six plug-in vehicles at this little fair, I'd say any attendee must have gotten the point that plug-ins are definitely here. At least three couples I spoke with sounded like they were convinced to buy a LEAF for themselves.

Other MNL'ers in attendance were Aeolus, hill, and at least one other (whose name escapes me, sorry)

Nice to see the EVS show come back to SoCal. My first EVS was #20 in Long Beach. This show keeps coming back through here pretty regularly.

We're lucky to be in one of the hubs of the EV world. Although, certain recent posts are making me a little envious of Amsterdam right now. ;-)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=132980#p132980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The EVS26 at the Los Angeles Convention Center is around the corner!

The 'GoElectricDrive Day' (public day) is on Sun., May 6th, 9a-5p.

http://events.ntpshow.com/evs26/public/Content.aspx?ID=5985&sortMenu=103006

Come drive and experience electric cars and other electric vehicles firsthand. To see and drive all of the latest major plug-in hybrid electric, battery electric, fuel cell electric or hybrid electric vehicles there is only one place: the Los Angeles Convention Center. On Sunday May 6, 2012 a the Ride, Drive & charge and the exhibitor floor will open to the general public so that consumers can see the vehicles, learn about charging electric cars or refueling fuel cell versions, and drive them!
Registration will only be available on-site for the general public. Fees are $10 for adults and $5 for children (6 -18 years old). Children 5 or younger are free of charge.

Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult during show hours in the exhibit hall and Ride, Drive and Charge area.

The general public will also be invited to participate in the Ride, Drive & Charge Monday and Tuesday. Pricing information for the Ride, Drive & Charge will be forthcoming.

Gonna try to head up early Sunday morning, as well. Though not sure how bright I'll be. ;)
Has anyone tried any 110v/L1 charging at any Convention Ctr parking structure?

I'll be attending as well. If interested, please send me PM and email address for Sunday discount coupon...

JPVLeaf said:
Has anyone tried any 110v/L1 charging at any Convention Ctr parking structure?
Also note that Nissan of Downtown LA is less than a mile away. This post claims there are 5 L2 stations there available 24/7: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8390&p=187514#p187514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm debating whether to try the Nissan dealer or not. It may be rather popular due to the nature of the event, and we shouldn't really have any problem doing the 78-mile round trip on a single charge.

Boomer23 said:
Gonna be there on Sunday bright and early with tbleakne!
I am going to try to get to the parking structure by 9 am. A PM from Matt (Keijodosha ??) on another subject revealed he is also planning to be there on Sunday. Perhaps a bunch of us can meet-up for lunch, which I assume can be done inside.

I'm planning to stop by Sunday too. No idea yet what time.

A downloadable discount coupon is available here

I have gone through the full exhibitor list. Here are my priority booths to visit, not listed by priority. I am probably more interested in QC than the average.

QC relevant or product:
ABB B.V.
AV
Combined Charging System
Coulomb
Delta Electronics (according to 91040)
Ecotality
EDTA/GoElectricDrive
Efacec (350Green)
ElCon Chargers
Fuji
IES Synergy (CHAdemo)

Plugless charging:
Evatran
Qualcomm Halo

Concept EV
Nissan/Infinity

Public Data
UC Davis Institute of Transportation Studies

Have I missed some sights high priority for others ?

I'm going to make it down (or I should say "UP") there ... along with 'she-who-must-be-obeyed'. Is there nybody else besides me that's anxious to pose questions with some of the key note speakers? Maybe even some very very very hardball questions? ;)

For example;
1) Bob Lutz (former GM exec) .... I'd LOVE to hear his (wacky) opinion as to why SAE/GM have such an aversion against Chademo (especially now that he's done a 180 towards plugin's) ... opting in stead for the 'FrankenPlug' ... a non existent technology ... a technology that has nothing to do with the Volt ... since there are no future plans to ever QC the Volt ... and since GM has no plans for a mass scale EV.

2) Ted F. Craver (Edison exec) .... I'd LOVE to hear why SCE can't lobby the Public Utility Commission (PUC) hard to exempt QC's from strict application of "demand fees" which have been so horribly onerous on QC implementation in So Cal ... a policy that flies in the face of State & Federal EV objectives ... namely insure EV quotas by the end of certain future dates. After all ... if SCE can lobby the PUC had core - in order to keep PV surplus payments to a minimum (which also flies in the face of green objectives) ... why not work at least HALF as hard to help EV infrastructure grow ... by supporting QC infrastructure. SCE frequently touts their green & EV objectives - yet behind the scenes, the real world goings on almost seem schizophrenic when one contrasts SCE's actions against their advertised goals.

Our leadership don't/can't make their self available to the masses on a frequent basis ... so opportunities to actually hear from the top don't present their self very often. Anybody else going that hope to hear from the powers that be? ... maybe frame a few other thought provoking questions?

Naw, I'm going just to look at the exhibits and talk to the exhibitors... Maybe drive a vehicle or two if they appeal to me...

hill said:
Anybody else going that hope to hear from the powers that be? ... maybe frame a few other thought provoking questions?

hill said:
Is there nybody else besides me that's anxious to pose questions with some of the key note speakers? Maybe even some very very very hardball questions? ;)
Back when I drove 80,000 miles a year, I remember the first time I saw a stop light being installed on an on-ramp??? A sign adjacent listed a “Public Comment” CalTrans event that I attended, anxious to give these nit witts a piece of my mind about their stupid idea.

The traffic engineer running the meeting opened with “A show of hands, who is here to register a complaint about on-ramp metering?” I was well represented. But within 15 minutes his explanations convinced most of us of the counter intuitive wisdom of metering and how it could improve, not delay traffic. Only two people with very short commutes ended up registering complaints.

I hope to get explanations that make sense, from people willing to share what they know :)

The heavy hitters probably won't be walking around on Sunday in the exhibit hall (although you never know). The presentations and other networking opportunities will take place later in the week (when it costs $1000 to attend)...I'm just looking forward to seeing the exhibit hall along with some of the newer cars.

Here's a summary of my day at EVS 26.

The good folks from this forum that I met up with were tbleakne, KieJidosha, JPV, Devin, Randy, JeremyW, and Hill and his missus. Nice to see the fellow LEAFers and fun to drive and walk around with them

The Drive and Charge event had the Ford Focus Electric (FFE), LEAF, Volt, Coda, Mitsubishi i, BYD E6, Prius Plug-in. Hydrogen Fuel Cell EVs available to drive were the Toyota Fuel Cell SUV, the Mercedes FCEV and the Honda Clarity. There was also an Arcimoto SRK tandem two-seat three-wheeler. The model available to drive lacked body work and only had a tubular space frame. I drove the FFE, The BYD and the Coda. See the individual threads for the FFE, the Coda and the E6 for drive impressions and pictures.

The queen of the exhibit floor was the Infiniti LE Concept, and a beautiful queen she is. Check the Infiniti LE thread for more pictures than the one below. The car is of a nice size, maybe slightly smaller than an Infiniti G37, but similar in size, and not as large as a Tesla S. With all of the non-Tesla EVs being rather compact, the LE might be a very nice mid-size choice. We weren't allowed to touch the car or even climb over the barrier rails, and while the dash and all lights were on, including the odd light-up grille, the nice woman in charge was not allowed to operate any of the features. And though I asked, she wasn't able to extend the charging ports behind the large Infiniti badge in the grille. Of course, the wireless charging feature was on display, with special lighting to call attention to it.

There was a red LEAF on the floor, and I think it was also locked, though several LEAFs were available to drive at the driving event. Nissan also had some of the fake "gas powered" appliances on display from the popular commercials.

BMW was present with an ActiveE on display, featured along with a VW electric UP Blue Motion at the SAE combination QC exhibit. The ActiveE had been retrofitted with an SAE QC combo port and we were told that the car was actively charging on DC using the proposed SAE standard plug from an ABB quick charger. The BMW had a special piece of hardware sitting in the trunk that was taking the DC feed from the QC unit and sending it to the battery pack.

That SAE QC Combo Plug display was impressive in the number of QC manufacturers that were shown. The most exciting thing that I heard all day was a comment from one of the BMW techs that at least three QC makers have said that they will make a charger with both CHAdeMO and SAE QC plugs. These included ABB, AV and Eaton. If this dual plug solution turns out to be common, we might find that there is a solution for the standards issue. It's not a trivial thing, of course, to include both charging standards in one box. A rep from Fuji told me that the internal component requirements are different for each standard, beyond software and, of course, the plugs and cables.

The QC charger makers that shared the stage with BMW and VW at the SAE area and were showing SAE combo QC capability were ABB, AV, Eaton and EFACEC. Siemens and PhoenixContact were on the same display, but were not showing SAE combo capability.

As for other EVs on the display floor, Honda had the Fit EV (locked) and their Clarity FCEV. Besides the Up Blue Motion, VW also showed their test fleet EV, the E Golf that is in fleets here and in Europe, but not in consumer use. Toyota had the RAV4/Tesla concept along with the PIP and Priuses C and V. I was told that there will be a major press conference at the show at noon Monday, where the production version of the RAV will be unveiled, along with pricing and reservation details.

Wireless charging technology was well represented, with Qualcomm, who are marketing to car makers, Delphi, also an OEM maker, and Plugless Power, who are marketing to consumers as a dealer-installed retrofit for about $3,000 as well as to the OEM market.

Most of the exhibits were aimed toward the automaker industry and included high voltage cabling and connectors, on board chargers, and many other technical systems. Besides the QC charger makers that I mentioned above, there were others including Fuji, Delta, Shneider, PNE and others. FLUX Power was one the battery makers on display, complete with sexy girls in tight short dresses and high heels that seemed weird for something as mundane as battery packs (I guess that was the point :lol: :oops: ).

Attachments

• aIMG_8694.jpg
    aIMG_8694.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 36
  • aIMG_8701.jpg
    aIMG_8701.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 36
  • aIMG_8648.jpg
    aIMG_8648.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 36
Boomer23 said:
...AC Propulsion and FLUX Power were some of the battery makers on display...

AC propulsion is now a "battery maker"?
What were they showing there?

Traditionally they were doing drivetrains (AC-150) and vehicle conversions (eBox).

Latest posts

Back