EV credit eligibility for used Leaf (NYS)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbast

I'm nearly certain we're not eligible for any tax credits, but I thought I'd check.

We just bought a 2012 SL. I don't think it would make any difference, but we bought it out of state (in PA) and live in NY (near Rochester).

The carfax indicates the car spent a year moving between dealers on the east coast then spent two leased years in MD.

nbast said:
I'm nearly certain we're not eligible for any tax credits, but I thought I'd check.

We just bought a 2012 SL. I don't think it would make any difference, but we bought it out of state (in PA) and live in NY (near Rochester).

The carfax indicates the car spent a year moving between dealers on the east coast then spent two leased years in MD.

I would research the law in NY. I don't think the laws preclude "used" cars, they only limit you to a single credit per vehicle. Since probably every EV on the road has already claimed the federal and state rebates when it was new, that's why used cars don't qualify. Not because they are used, but because they already claimed their credit. I think I could buy a brand new Leaf, claim no credit, and sell it used to someone who could then claim the full credits based off of their used purchase price.

Here in CO, you could claim a state credit if it was never registered here.

From the "Income 67" page:

Limitation on multiple credits for a single vehicle
In general, no more than one tax credit shall be allowed for any single motor vehicle. Consequently, the purchase of
a used vehicle generally will not qualify for a credit because the prior vehicle owner likely claimed a credit for the
original purchase of the vehicle. However, the purchase of a used vehicle may qualify if the vehicle was not
previously registered in Colorado. Any credit claimed for the purchase of a used vehicle must be accompanied by a
"Vehicle History Report" showing the vehicle was not previously registered in Colorado. A “Vehicle History Report”
can be obtained from any of a number of third party companies that offer such reports. An internet search for the
phrase "Vehicle History Report" should provide a listing of companies that can produce this report.

Back