14 SL for 240/mo or 15 S+QC for 190/mo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluginmax

Hi,
I am in California and have a choice of leasing a 14 SL+Prem for $240/mo + tax or a 15 S+QC for $190/mo + taxes. All other terms of the lease remain the same.

My head wants to go for the S, but the heart is pushing me towards the SL. Which one do you think is a better deal. With the SL, I dont have a lot of time.

Can you live without cruise control and a heat pump for efficient heat? If you like simple cars and low payments, get the S. If you like more luxury and don't love higher payments but can afford them, get the SL. I suggest a battery check first, or if you can't do that, have them guarantee a certain % capacity (it will be below 100%). Anyone know a good number to ask for? 96%? If the dealer won't budge on that, try for a lower price. The only advantage I see to the '15, aside from payment (which I think just matches the more spartan equipment level) is the newer battery pack. If you have to drive a lot of miles that's a real factor. If you have a fairly short commute, don't worry much about capaciy loss during the lease.

Thanks for the replies. I stay in Bay Area.

I didn't know that the heat pump was not available on 2014 S. How badly does the resistance heater impact the range during the winters, when the temperature drops to 40-50C.

I think the 2015 S has a cruise control built in, so that is not a factor.

My commute to 20 miles one way and there are charging facilities at work.

You have a perfect lifestyle for a LEAF! Range won't be much of an issue on a daily basis. And the Bay Area is cool enough so you won't really need the 2015's lizard battery. But you will want the heat pump, it uses a fraction of the power of the resistance heater at 40-50 F.

You know you want the SL anyway. What's $50/month? Couple bottles of wine? Drink less.

Do the deal today, they're always hot to sell one more at the end of the month. Maybe you can talk them down to $220/month.

Hmm. I was trying to get him to budge to 230/mo yesterday but he wouldn't. I would try again today. I am assuming 240/mo + tax is not a bad deal on the SL. Sometimes you are never sure about pricing when there are only a few left in the market.

pluginmax said:
Hmm. I was trying to get him to budge to 230/mo yesterday but he wouldn't. I would try again today. I am assuming 240/mo + tax is not a bad deal on the SL. Sometimes you are never sure about pricing when there are only a few left in the market.

My '13 SV+QC costs me 290 a month. I'd jump on that deal if I could. :D

pluginmax said:
Hi,
I am in California and have a choice of leasing a 14 SL+Prem for $240/mo + tax or a 15 S+QC for $190/mo + taxes. All other terms of the lease remain the same.

My head wants to go for the S, but the heart is pushing me towards the SL. Which one do you think is a better deal. With the SL, I dont have a lot of time.

How much due at lease signing? With or without VPP?

pluginmax said:
I didn't know that the heat pump was not available on 2014 S. How badly does the resistance heater impact the range during the winters, when the temperature drops to 40-50C.

At 50C, you'll probably pass out from heat exhaustion. CA Winters never (and rarely Summers in some areas) get that hot. It looks like you meant F.

I've yet to drive my Leaf through a Winter, so I can't say first-hand, but the heat pump is a lot more efficient. Using seat heaters instead of, or in tandem with, air heating can help a lot as well.

I really like my SL, and I wouldn't even consider an S for many reasons. Here's my quick list:
Cruise Control ('15 has it, though)
Heat pump
Larger console screen
Eco tires
CarWings/Telemetrics

Thanks for the replies, and obviously I meant 40-50F. Sorry about the typo.

The deal is a VPP deal with $2500 down including all DMV fees and driveoffs for 36 months,12000 miles/year. I have just hear back from another dealer and he is offering me a 2014 SL+ prem for 217 + tax with these lease terms.

The dealer is pushing me to add maintenance package to the deal and make the monthly payment $240-245/mo. He said that if I get the car maintained by a non-Nissan dealer, then Nissan charges for this maintenance at lease return. To me this appears like pre-payment of regular maintenance charges, and I will discuss this further with him when I go there. Any thoughts?

pluginmax said:
He said that if I get the car maintained by a non-Nissan dealer, then Nissan charges for this maintenance at lease return. To me this appears like pre-payment of regular maintenance charges, and I will discuss this further with him when I go there. Any thoughts?
Flat out 100% illegal.
Keep all receipts/quotes for any work you get done, or parts you buy.

This is true of all vehicles, not just Nissan, or electrics.

More on this is available at consumer.ftc.gov

pluginmax said:
He said that if I get the car maintained by a non-Nissan dealer, then Nissan charges for this maintenance at lease return.

Total horse ****. I encourage you to tell that to his face. Be sure to clearly articulate the word "HORSE" and the word "****". Also, see Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

There is no value in a maintenance contract or extended warranty while you're within a lease. Furthermore, you can perform maintenance and repairs by a non-Nissan dealer. Nissan doesn't ask for receipts, but it doesn't hurt for your own sake to record maintenance and save receipts. With that said, I'm past year #2, 31,000 miles, and I have put no money into my LEAF except for tires (which wouldn't be covered by a maintenance contract anyway).

At the end of a lease, you won't be charged for anything that isn't in the "Nissan Guide to Chargeable Wear and Use", except a disposition fee.

I would find another dealer just based on the fact that he's using illegal and unethical sales tactics to get you to buy something.

pluginmax said:
The dealer is pushing me to add maintenance package to the deal and make the monthly payment $240-245/mo. He said that if I get the car maintained by a non-Nissan dealer, then Nissan charges for this maintenance at lease return. To me this appears like pre-payment of regular maintenance charges, and I will discuss this further with him when I go there. Any thoughts?
That seems like a lot of money to rotate the tires and fill up the washer fluid. :eek:

KJD said:
Everyone gets those for free.
Maybe so, but we're also talking about a $5/mo difference. $180 over 3 years. That's pretty much the retail value of 6 tire changes, which is pretty much the number recommended over 3 years.

I'd say $5/mo is a fair price.

pluginmax said:

The deal is a VPP deal with $2500 down including all DMV fees and driveoffs for 36 months,12000 miles/year. I have just hear back from another dealer and he is offering me a 2014 SL+ prem for 217 + tax with these lease terms.

Total BS. Use the search function and discover just how little maintenance is involved over three years.

Probably their $217/month offer is bait and switch if they're telling you stuff like that.

Could you please let me know which dealer has 2014 Leaf in stock in the bay area - I tried a few , all of them seemed out.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
pluginmax said:

Total BS. Use the search function and discover just how little maintenance is involved over three years.

Probably their $217/month offer is bait and switch if they're telling you stuff like that.

So true. I made it clear to them that I didnt care about the maintenance package. I receive a call from them half an hour later that someone came to test drive it and have decided to buy it.

divbell2003 said:
Could you please let me know which dealer has 2014 Leaf in stock in the bay area - I tried a few , all of them seemed out.
The autocom guys in Walnut Creek might have 1-2 left.

Back