14 SL for 240/mo or 15 S+QC for 190/mo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Can you live without cruise control and a heat pump for efficient heat? If you like simple cars and low payments, get the S. If you like more luxury and don't love higher payments but can afford them, get the SL. I suggest a battery check first, or if you can't do that, have them guarantee a certain % capacity (it will be below 100%). Anyone know a good number to ask for? 96%? If the dealer won't budge on that, try for a lower price. The only advantage I see to the '15, aside from payment (which I think just matches the more spartan equipment level) is the newer battery pack. If you have to drive a lot of miles that's a real factor. If you have a fairly short commute, don't worry much about capaciy loss during the lease.

well that is news to me

as far as the OP; apparently all that clamoring for a lizard battery does not affect our purchase/lease decisions. you need to be a bit more specific on your location before I can give you an answer

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
Can you live without cruise control and a heat pump for efficient heat? If you like simple cars and low payments, get the S. If you like more luxury and don't love higher payments but can afford them, get the SL. I suggest a battery check first, or if you can't do that, have them guarantee a certain % capacity (it will be below 100%). Anyone know a good number to ask for? 96%? If the dealer won't budge on that, try for a lower price. The only advantage I see to the '15, aside from payment (which I think just matches the more spartan equipment level) is the newer battery pack. If you have to drive a lot of miles that's a real factor. If you have a fairly short commute, don't worry much about capaciy loss during the lease.

well that is news to me

as far as the OP; apparently all that clamoring for a lizard battery does not affect our purchase/lease decisions. you need to be a bit more specific on your location before I can give you an answer

I stay in the SF Bay Area.

pluginmax said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

well that is news to me

ok, I lived there as well and there is at least a 20º temp difference in a 30 mile stretch but assuming your weather is primarily marine controlled (there are actually two distinct types of these as well) your weather is likely just a few degrees warmer than what i see in Olympia.

#1 your 2015 will have cruise control and B mode. Now how you decide to drive is up to you but I think (and I am guessing if its hot for you this past week as it was for us) your best bet is getting the car with the better battery. you will lose efficient heating but you can easily get away with wearing a coat and using the seat heaters and being comfortable enough. granted that is a personal decision you have to make

other than that, its NAV and other ammenities that I think you could easily do without

otoh; they are cutting the price big time on the 2014 so a great opp to get the features for cheap but $50 is $50. up to you to decide whether its worth the 2 extra grand.

as for me? I would not hesitate to take the cheaper and newer option but guessing my decision is based a lot on my income level

DaveinOlyWA said:
pluginmax said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, I lived there as well and there is at least a 20º temp difference in a 30 mile stretch but assuming your weather is primarily marine controlled (there are actually two distinct types of these as well) your weather is likely just a few degrees warmer than what i see in Olympia.
+1, and the difference can be 30 or even 40 degrees depending where in the Bay Area you are - Pacifica versus Livermore or Antioch, for example.

DaveinOlyWA said:
#1 your 2015 will have cruise control and B mode. Now how you decide to drive is up to you but I think (and I am guessing if its hot for you this past week as it was for us) your best bet is getting the car with the better battery. you will lose efficient heating but you can easily get away with wearing a coat and using the seat heaters and being comfortable enough. granted that is a personal decision you have to make

other than that, its NAV and other ammenities that I think you could easily do without

otoh; they are cutting the price big time on the 2014 so a great opp to get the features for cheap but $50 is $50. up to you to decide whether its worth the 2 extra grand.

as for me? I would not hesitate to take the cheaper and newer option but guessing my decision is based a lot on my income level
Given the OP's daily commute needs and the fact that they're leasing not buying, either car will work. The heat pump (available SV/SL only) is nice here in the Bay Area, because our mild winters mean you will never need to use the resistive heater that sucks up range. If you had a longer commute or were buying I'd say opt for a car with the heat pump for sure.

As mentioned, the 2015 S includes B mode and the cruise control, so those aren't issues. Really, it comes down to what minor amenities the OP cares about - do they want the all around display and assorted other options that are only available on the SV and/or SL? Personally, I recommend people get the SV here if they need to maximize their winter range with the heat pump, the S otherwise. And get QC whichever trim level you choose, unless you _know_ you will only use this car for commuting; you may rarely or never need it, but it's nice to have and gives you the option of taking longer regional trips. The faster L2 charging that comes with the QC upgrade on the S (and is standard with the SV/SL) is also useful for such trips, and if you have a circuit and EVSE at home that can take advantage of it, will also give you added flexibility for short notice trips.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Given the OP's daily commute needs and the fact that they're leasing not buying, Either car will work. The heat pump (available SV/SL only) is nice here in the Bay Area, because our mild winters mean you will never need to use the resistive heater that sucks up range. If you had a longer commute or were buying I'd say opt for a car with the heat pump for sure.

As mentioned, the 2015 S includes B mode and the cruise control, so those aren't issues. Really, it comes down to what minor amenities the OP cares about - do they want the all around display and assorted other options that are only available on the SV and/or SL? Personally, I recommend people get the SV here if they need to maximize their winter range with the heat pump, the S otherwise. And get QC whichever trim level you choose, unless you _know_ you will only use this car for commuting; you may rarely or never need it, but it's nice to have and gives you the option of taking longer regional trips. The faster L2 charging that comes with the QC upgrade on the S (and is standard with the SV/SL) is also useful for such trips, and if you have a circuit and EVSE at home that can take advantage of it, will also give you added flexibility for short notice trips.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the help. I ended up leasing a 2015 S+QC, because we (me and another board member) were able to negotiate it down to $155+taxes

I would suggest you wait for the Labor day sale to see if something pops up. The previous three day weekend I was able to lease a 2014 SV model Lease for $2400 down plus tax, coming to total around $4100 and a monthly lease of around $109 with tax. I don't know whether they were completely getting rid of the 2014 models for the upcoming 2015 ones, and they were successful. Only negative thing is that it has the 120V charger instead of the 240V or the quick charger :(
Else we're pretty happy with the car and the price. DM me if you want any other info.

pluginmax said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Given the OP's daily commute needs and the fact that they're leasing not buying, Either car will work. The heat pump (available SV/SL only) is nice here in the Bay Area, because our mild winters mean you will never need to use the resistive heater that sucks up range. If you had a longer commute or were buying I'd say opt for a car with the heat pump for sure.

As mentioned, the 2015 S includes B mode and the cruise control, so those aren't issues. Really, it comes down to what minor amenities the OP cares about - do they want the all around display and assorted other options that are only available on the SV and/or SL? Personally, I recommend people get the SV here if they need to maximize their winter range with the heat pump, the S otherwise. And get QC whichever trim level you choose, unless you _know_ you will only use this car for commuting; you may rarely or never need it, but it's nice to have and gives you the option of taking longer regional trips. The faster L2 charging that comes with the QC upgrade on the S (and is standard with the SV/SL) is also useful for such trips, and if you have a circuit and EVSE at home that can take advantage of it, will also give you added flexibility for short notice trips.

Thanks so much for the help. I ended up leasing a 2015 S+QC, because we (me and another board member) were able to negotiate it down to $155+taxes[/quote]
good deal I'd say, what dealership has the offer and was an sv much more all things considered? I cant decide what is best choice seeing and sv and a sl are very close in value but being in Texas/Dallas I want to just make sure of battery issues if buying used 2013's. appreciate it!

Back