New incentives in CA response to suspended $2500 rebate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian123

So, while looking to purchase or lease a LEAF in California, some new Nissan incentives popped up in California this month.

• Lease went from $7500 incentive (Federal) to $8200.
  • Purchase now has a $2500 cash back from Nissan financing

After speaking with Nissan dealer, I'm told this is Nissan's response to California's $2500 rebate being suspended (News?). I knew it was lacking funds and having delays based of forum posts, but is the situation that dire that this is Nissan's response? I'm told you can still apply for the rebate and put on a list, just no guarantee. I suppose things can turnaround for the better and the rebate continues, but since Nissan can't guarantee it to customers, this must be there way of compensating to not lose a sale. Though, the marketing may be confusing because a buyer might come in thinking they will get that cash back and the rebate and learn that's not likely going to happen.

Was there recent news about California's rebate that motivated Nissan to do this?

Found this article about the situation, doesn't sound like all hope is lost, just likely a longer wait?
http://www.plugincars.com/california-forms-waiting-list-electric-car-rebates-129566.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The same thing has happened before. The fund has distributed all of its money for the current run so it just puts all the rebate apps on hold until it is refunded and then the rebates are distributed... There is little chance of not getting one, you'll just be delayed some number of months until it is refunded...

TomT said:
The same thing has happened before. The fund has distributed all of its money for the current run so it just puts all the rebate apps on hold until it is refunded and then the rebates are distributed... There is little chance of not getting one, you'll just be delayed some number of months until it is refunded...

Thank you for the history. So then this is probably a good opportunity then to buy a LEAF while there's this additional $2500 cash back I suppose.

If that is what the Nissan cash back is about, definitely, since you'll eventually get the $2,500 too...

brian123 said:
Thank you for the history. So then this is probably a good opportunity then to buy a LEAF while there's this additional $2500 cash back I suppose.

TomT said:
Yes and the amount was reduced by half. This could well happen again.

smkettner said:
TomT said:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/april2014_aqip_fpworkshop_discussion_document_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staff proposals for future CARB rebates include:

Limiting BEV rebate to $2,000.

Limiting PHEV rebate to $1,000.

Limiting rebates to 2 per individual.

Limiting rebates to PHEVs/BEVs priced at $60 k or less.

Actually, that was planned and announced before the fund ran out so it was not unexpected... We've heard nothing to that effect this time around... But it is certainly a possibility...

smkettner said:
TomT said:

Back