"Electricity has the capacity to stun."

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

That's from a print ad for (GM's) Cadillac ELR that I just happened to come across (I don't even know which magazine it was in; the page had been torn out an abandoned).

Anyway, I get the double entendre -- yuk-yuk -- but really, is the connotation of danger, shock &or pain really something you want associated with your new (plug-in hybrid) vehicle? Let alone build a marketing "campaign" around? No wonder GM only sold 1310 ELRs in its first full year of being on the market (2014)! And no doubt they'll point to the numbers as lack of demand for plug-in cars. Let's hope things improve with the Volt 2.0 and the Bolt*, but I wouldn't be that confident of it happening.

Because once again (at least with this ad), it appears that GM has outdone itself in the duh-department. Remember the post-apocalyptic commercials for the EV1 (highlighted in 'Who Killed the Electric Car')? There's no good reason that GM (or Nissan, or anyone) shouldn't be able to build an excellent campaign, highlighting all the benefits of electricity that most of us are already aware of.

So why haven't they?

* Will the "Jolt" be next? Wouldn't be that surprised, given this theme!

Back