Nissan LEAF and Chevy Volt Target Different Drivers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

http://www.triplepundit.com/2011/11/nissan-leaf-chevy-volt-target-different-drivers/comment-page-1/

Nissan LEAF and Chevy Volt Target Different Drivers
By Presidio Marketing | November 14th, 2011

Nissan LEAF and Chevy Volt Target Different Drivers article: said:
<snip> two very different companies would go about marketing a seemingly similar product.

In reviewing the marketing collateral and ad campaigns for the LEAF and the Volt, I was immediately struck by the fact that the LEAF is clearly going after the early adopter/leading user market and plays much more strongly on potential customers’ sentiments about the environment to evoke a very strong sympathetic and emotional response. The LEAF has some functional drawbacks as compared to the Volt, such as not having gasoline as a substitute in between charges if needed. Nissan’s messaging appears to embrace this distinction with pride by suggesting the car is on the absolute cutting edge of the new electric vehicle technology.

The Volt on the other hand, clearly plays up the idea that the Volt is just a small change for the typical American car consumer, and that it is not in fact disrupting our driving habits too greatly. Their campaign tagline says it all: “More car than electric.” GM has clearly opted to skip the early adopters and leading users altogether and move right on to the early majority, mainstream car enthusiasts. The Volt’s advertising is designed to evoke a feeling of slow and steady progression both in history and in technology to arrive at the Volt today. The commercial shows quick time shots of cars over the last century or so and then moves to recent history highlighting GM’s small and fuel efficient cars, to GM’s hybrid SUV’s and finally arrives at the Volt. Clearly, the messaging is designed to build on history and legacy to give the mainstream consumer the warm and fuzzy feeling of incremental change. The ability to use both gas and electric power consoles the mainstream user with a feeling of safety and comfort in “the way I’ve always done it.”

Interestingly, the Volt advertising uses almost no emotional piquing with regard to environmental issues, while the LEAF advertising seeks an almost visceral response from its emotional and environmentally charged ads about the polar bear and the value of ZERO emissions, pollution, and dependence of foreign oil. The other angle highlighted in LEAF advertising is a challenge to the status quo. This line of thinking targets the early adopter who avidly embraces change, versus the early majority who like things to stay more or less the way they are. Nissan questions our assumptions rather brilliantly by showing all the common machines we have come to know as using electric power and asks, “what if everything ran on gas…then again, what if everything didn’t?” Nissan shouts, “This car will change your life!” and GM says, “This car won’t really change the way you live your life.”
<snip>

What, of being arrogant and building really crappy cars for decades? :lol:

scottf200 said:
Clearly, the messaging is designed to build on history and legacy to give the mainstream consumer the warm and fuzzy feeling of incremental change.

TomT said:
Nissan LEAF and Chevy Volt Target Different Drivers article said:
Clearly, the messaging is designed to build on history and legacy to give the mainstream consumer the warm and fuzzy feeling of incremental change.
TomT, So do you agree or disagree about the fact there are two major (with some overlap) different target audiences for the Volt and Leaf? And why?

ummm, wasnt it GM that wanted to lump the Volt in with the momentum of the EV movement in the first place.

i dont know of anyone who thinks the Volt was built to compete with the Leaf

TomT said:

scottf200 said:

Does the Volt ad campaign show the other engineering achievements of the Chevy "legacy", such as the Vega, Citation, etc.?

I can't recall seeing any Volt ads myself, other than that one featuring the guy who has to take a dump, and the gas station makes him buy gas to use their crapper...

edatoakrun said:
TomT said:
Does the Volt ad campaign show the other engineering achievements of the Chevy "legacy", such as the Vega, Citation, etc.?
I can't recall seeing any Volt ads myself, other than that one featuring the guy who has to take a dump, and the gas station makes him buy gas to use their crapper...
edatoakrun, So do you agree or disagree about the fact there are two major (with some overlap) different target audiences for the Volt and Leaf? And why?

scottf200 said:
TomT said:
So do you agree or disagree about the fact there are two major (with some overlap) different target audiences? And why?

completely different. i think the Volt's competition is hybrids and plug in hybrids but that would make sense since that is what a Volt is.

now, granted the extra EV range the Volt has may push it one notch higher than the 15 miles the Plug in Prius has, but then again, its priced 2 steps higher.

not sure that the difference is enough to warrant the extra cost.

scottf200 said:
TomT said:
TomT, So do you agree or disagree about the fact there are two major (with some overlap) different target audiences for the Volt and Leaf? And why?

I would own either car, each would be used in a different way though. Wait and see when the lower cost used models start coming up to the great white wisconsin territory. Volts will probably come first it appears.

The article probably doesn't realize it, but they clearly state the core fundamental flaw in the Volt's marketing campaign:

Members of the early majority don't pay the premium required for a product that, as described in the article, claims to bring very little change (I think it brings a lot of change, but we're talking about the marketing) - whereas early adopters do. Couple that with the Volt's higher pricetag, and I think GM really failed to choose an effective marketing strategy for the Volt.

Don't get me wrong, as a car the Volt is great; I'm just saying GM screwed up the marketing. I think Nissan could've done a better job with their marketing too, but I think they did at least target correctly (but I agree that they're a bit too emotionally-focused; plus the environmental debate is a bit too politically charged for a marketing message IMO)

The creepy part is why these kind of posts are happening on the LEAF site. If GM is targetting different owners (than EV's), as the OP Volt owner suggests, why not post this on the Volt site and leave it at that??? Why are EV owners being told to care about the Volt if it's truly different???

TRONZ said:
The creepy part is why these kind of posts are happening on the LEAF site. If GM is targetting different owners (than EV's), as the OP Volt owner suggests, why not post this on the Volt site and leave it at that??? Why are EV owners being told to care about the Volt if it's truly different???
Well - this thread is clearly linked to Leaf.

I'd like to see stats on the actual owners before agreeing or disagreeing with the article.

Afterall, if we got Volt here in Seattle 1 yr before Leaf, may be I'd have bought it.

I was at a focus group recently, with a mixture of Volt and Leaf owners.
The client clearly was most interested in charging issues and range issues. There was many questions on how and when you charge and discussions of what you use to monitor your driving and range, contemporaneously and daily.
There also was discussion of how the Volt rangeometer (guessometer) was more accurate.

Then, a Volt owner said that could be incorrect because they dont really care about range because it is not a do-or-die issue for them when they are on the road. What was also clear is that most Volt owners in the group DO care about getting very high mileage and minimizing gas use. One bragged he had not bought gasoline in six months, and everyone of them knew how much gas they had bought since buying the car and what their mpg was.

thankyouOB said:
I was at a focus group recently, with a mixture of Volt and Leaf owners.
The client clearly was most interested in charging issues and range issues. There was many questions on how and when you charge and discussions of what you use to monitor your driving and range, contemporaneously and daily.
There also was discussion of how the Volt rangeometer (guessometer) was more accurate.

Then, a Volt owner said that could be incorrect because they dont really care about range because it is not a do--or-die issue for them when they are on the road. What was also clear is that most Volt owners in the group DO care about getting very high mileage and minimizing gas use. On bragged he had not bought gasoline in six months, and everyone of them knew how much gas they had bought and what their mpg was.

On the comment on 'six months w/o buying gas' -- I would be concerned about gas getting 'stale' as that's longer than when I store my Miata for the winter and need to put in gas stabilizer, the gas we use nowadays has a much shorter 'shelf life' than in the past and I believe even in the Volt manual is probably has something about the need to run the engine/generator on occasion so that you don't have problems later on. With such a short EV range (but perhaps even shorter commutes) I would have thought that this quoted Volt owner would even more strongly consider a LEAF but if it's his/her only car the occasional longer drive needs wouldn't be satisfied -- as it appears the market will easily support both 'types' of vehicles we can speculate all we want but each person just needs to think through before buying either one -- for the car that I'm replacing and after looking at hybrids, etc. the LEAF just makes sense for me this time around.

well i for one, had full intentions of buying a Volt to compliment my Leaf. i wanted a bit more EV range than the Prius plug in and the Volt was originally set to sell for "nicely under $30,000 after incentives" (yes, that is direct quote read from billboards on display when i did the Volt test drive.

well, the price did not happen. i would have gladly traded some of the bling for a lower price which is exactly what i did when i purchased the Leaf.

as it stands now, i will hold onto my Prius until something does come along to cover my needs. i would prefer to be all electric except for an occasional trip out of town. i just dont want to pay $36,000 for it

redLEAF said:
thankyouOB said:
On the comment on 'six months w/o buying gas' -- I would be concerned about gas getting 'stale' as that's longer than when I store my Miata for the winter and need to put in gas stabilizer, the gas we use nowadays has a much shorter 'shelf life' than in the past and I believe even in the Volt manual is probably has something about the need to run the engine/generator on occasion so that you don't have problems later on.

In addition to keeping the tank pressurized, the Volt monitors the age of the fuel in the tank, and prompts the driver to burn some gas to both keep the engine lubricated, as well as keep the average fuel age less than a year.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/09/10/how-the-chevy-volt-deals-with-gas-and-rare-generator-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I've said all along. The only reason the Volt and LEAF have been lumped together up to now is that they were the only two plug in cars available from top tier makers in quantity. With the PIP and the "i" and Focus EV coming into the market, they won't be seen as direct competitors so much any more. People will decide whether they want an EV, HEV, or PHEV, then start comparing choices within those categories.

davewill said:
This is what I've said all along. The only reason the Volt and LEAF have been lumped together up to now is that they were the only two plug in cars available from top tier makers in quantity. With the PIP and the "i" and Focus EV coming into the market, they won't be seen as direct competitors so much any more. People will decide whether they want an EV, HEV, or PHEV, then start comparing choices within those categories.
True.

But as categories EV/HEV/PHEV are competitors. Just like Coffee, Tea & Soft Drinks are competitors.

I believe there is some competitiveness, but just some. I am sure there are people that really did consider both, but I don't think its a huge number. Most people who wanted a leaf didn't really want a volt. Probably some of the main reasons were the use of gas versus not. For me, I really was contemplating both, I was leaning towards the leaf because I really did prefer an all electric. The two items that really sealed the deal with me and the leaf were: size, my wife's car is a small audi TT, the leaf replaced a pontiac vibe, which we needed the additional space for moving stuff around. Second was the price.

While tea and softdrinks may "compete" I will tell you when I want a coke, I don't even consider tea (I don't think I have drunk tea in years).

But, I think its good they have separate audiences, it means more adaption of plug in vehicles as a whole. Sometimes innovation needs a leap (leaf) but sometimse you need to make small changes (volt). Hell I would even put the honda civic CNG car in that whole "small changes" category.

I was one of those who initially and briefly considered both a year and a half or so ago. I ultimately chose the Leaf and haven't looked back since! With what I know now, I'd make the same decision again, only instantly.

Pipcecil said:
I believe there is some competitiveness, but just some. I am sure there are people that really did consider both, but I don't think its a huge number.

Back