XM Radio Trial Subscription period?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzJazz

How long is the XM Radio Trial Subscription period?

I was expecting around 3 months, but we have already had it running for over 4 months now.

Thanks,

AzJazz

The Nissan literature said "3 month trial XM subscription". Mine stopped after 5 weeks, so I called XM. They said they could start a 6-month trial, and it has been working for 5 months now. They also phoned last month to offer a discount if I renewed for 6 months or 1 year, at the end of the trial period.

As an aside, never used it. Consider it a bloatware nuisance. Recurring monthly fees, something I avoid or try to minimize.

Of course, some folks really like it. Fine with me....

Coming up on 6 months, and just got a letter in the mail saying the trial is about to end...

My trial subscription was supposedly three months; if they are "sirius" about pulling the plug on me that means it will be ending in the next few days. I get some enjoyment out of it, but not $10/month worth. They just sent me an offer for $30 for six months. No doubt their game plan is to get me signed up with a CC and play the odds I won't notice when they jack the price at the end of that time (they will lose that bet with me). Apparently this is like broadband, to get a good deal you have to plan on futzing around with it every 6-12 months.

From past experience and other comments it seems their system for shutting people off is not very reliable, but they usually manage to eventually kill receivers for which the subscription has lapsed. Unless someone knows of another way to play them I'll see how long it takes them to kill me, then see if they'll do the $30 deal. I have read you can get it for about $70 a year if you work the right process through their customer service. Their incremental cost of serving another customer must be near zero.

LTLFTcomposite said:
My trial subscription was supposedly three months; if they are "sirius" about pulling the plug on me that means it will be ending in the next few days. I get some enjoyment out of it, but not $10/month worth. They just sent me an offer for $30 for six months. No doubt their game plan is to get me signed up with a CC and play the odds I won't notice when they jack the price at the end of that time (they will lose that bet with me). Apparently this is like broadband, to get a good deal you have to plan on futzing around with it every 6-12 months.

From past experience and other comments it seems their system for shutting people off is not very reliable, but they usually manage to eventually kill receivers for which the subscription has lapsed. Unless someone knows of another way to play them I'll see how long it takes them to kill me, then see if they'll do the $30 deal. I have read you can get it for about $70 a year if you work the right process through their customer service. Their incremental cost of serving another customer must be near zero.

We already got 'the letter' and it's 3 months to the day that it expires from when our 2012 was delivered -- as we have had SIrius (not XM) on other vehicles and have kept it on one we can apply for a multiple car discount but it's a bit of a cumbersome process because of the Sirius/XM merger where each has its own subscription service -- we use it a lot on long trips on the one car, it has decent weather/traffic in major cities (not the add-on GPS traffic which is quite limited) and you can listen to live sports, comedy, etc. which helps a lot on long drives. We'll probably go with the music only on the LEAF as it's obviously not going on long trips but will see how much it ends up costing. We'd be OK with the $70/yr as that's less than half price over a 'regular' subscription.

TomT said:
Mine is still working after almost 8 months...

DarkStar said:
Just checked again this morning and it's still working... 7 months later...

Same here...hopefully we've "fallen through the cracks". While I listen to it now ant then, I never planned to subscribe.

Ours lasted about 4 months and then the discount mail / calls started. They got down to around $6 per month if we prepaid for a year. Still too expensive!

All we listened to was Radio Margaritaville and we're not in the car that much.

I showed the wife how to record a few random hours of RM on the iPhone and that works just as good.

Since the communication is one way, from my understanding killing a receiver is initially dependent on it receiving a "kill" signal they send down in their data stream, basically turn off all the other channels except preview. They can send these fairly frequently, but there is some speculation if your receiver is off and misses the kill messages, after some period of time they might stop sending kill messages for your ESN. I don't know if the receiver is still receiving while it's off, I wouldn't think so, as that would be a battery drain. Beyond that they may send some "life pill" message that if your receiver doesn't get after a long period of time it's like a kill. Or maybe they send new encryption keys. Point is the killing seems a little hit and miss. So we'll see. I remember having Sirius sever years ago and it took at least a couple months before my service stopped after I ended it.

As for paying, I can see maybe $5 a month tops, so the $30 for six months is interesting. It must be quite a project for these guys to be constantly exploring the price elasticity, since on one hand you have some customers who value the service higher and are willing to pay more, and others like me who are apathetic, but might pay some small amount, which is lost revenue if they don't take it.

I discussed this extensively way back in this thread so I'll not go in to it in detail again here, but there is also a timed mechanism that OEM manufacturers can choose to use for the trial period that operates independently of an off-air signal...
LTLFTcomposite said:
Since the communication is one way, from my understanding killing a receiver is initially dependent on it receiving a "kill" signal they send down in their data stream, basically turn off all the other channels except preview.

TomT said:
I discussed this extensively way back in this thread so I'll not go in to it in detail again here, but there is also a timed mechanism that OEM manufacturers can choose to use for the trial period that operates independently of an off-air signal...
I don't see that post, but what you just said is clear enough. Time will tell; I don't expect it will last indefinitely no matter what.

Mine is still working at more than 14 months (1/4/11 delivery). It died at around 6 months but I called in and on the 3rd try got a 6 month extension. So I expect mine to die soon. Then I'll try just traffic for a while. Most likely I'll stop that because of little use.

Mine lasted a solid 7 months. When it died it did so in stages. For the first week it lost about half the channels (mostly ones I seldom listen to) then it lost the rest and went to preview-only.

I renewed because I found a decent deal on RetailMeNot.com. I like it enough, my only complaints are that I wish they'd make The Verge channel available with less compression like most of the mainstream channels and that they'd fire that incredibly obnoxious Madison woman from 80s on 8 and AltNation.

Uhhh. Watches are obsolete. Why would you even try to advertise old technology stuff in a new technologies forum?

The rest is just crap, and probably counterfeit crap too.

BRBarian said:
Uhhh. Watches are obsolete. Why would you even try to advertise old technology stuff in a new technologies forum?

The rest is just crap, and probably counterfeit crap too.

Not even a acceptable bulk of them for that appropriate someone? :lol:

Yeah, he walked into the wrong room.

I find Pandora Radio on my cell phone connected to the leaf via bluetooth more enjoyable and it's paid for already with the cell phone.

Back