Wow! I knew range was supposed to increase in warm weather..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipscoggins

I got my LEAF in November 2012 and knew that the range was supposed to be better in the warm weather than cold, but didn't realize how much!

The night I purchased, I drove home in 30deg weather and proceeded to learn how to drive an EV in a very cold winter (for southern middle TN) and let me just say that when it was really cold I averaged low 3's miles/kWh & warmer winter weather low 4's & now that we are having highs in the upper 70s I'm FLYING around town and getting 5.2 miles/kWh!

I think everyone should purchase in the winter, so they can get all their range anxiety out at once & not have it at the initial purchase and then again at the first winter.

Once I get my Gid meter back (cable issue) I think I can join the 100 mile club easily!

(I Love my LEAF)

Philip

agreed!

I took delivery on December 27th of my 2012. Today I saw my first 6 temp bar day. Yesterday it was in the high 50's at 6am when I drive 8.2 miles to the train station. I didn't even loose one charge bar during the morning drive! On cold days this winter this 16.5 mile round trip could cost me 5 bars of charge if using the the heat!

Even more pronounced difference for me up here in Canada. In the dead of winter at -20 degrees F I'd use 10 bars for my 40 mile RT commute. Yesterday, with a temp of around 40-50 degrees F I used 5 bars.

philipscoggins said:
I think everyone should purchase in the winter, so they can get all their range anxiety out at once & not have it at the initial purchase and then again at the first winter.

Same experience for me in Upstate SC. Our winter was not as severe as yours up yonder there in the highland rim of middle TN.
I leased in Dec 2012, and the past couple weeks, with this warm weather, has contributed to a significant spike in the LEAFs energy efficiency.

Additionally, this equates to savings since I am using less electrons each day.

I am also glad I learned to drive my LEAF in Winter. But, unlike some new owners, I never had range anxiety because I had done my homework and knew what the car would and would not do.

The second Winter was a bit tougher because my car has lost a bit of battery capacity and I had to work harder to make my longer trips. But I find it fun.

Ditto in Minnesota. We've had an unusaully cold spring with high temps struggling to get out of the 40's. I've had my 2013 SL for about a month. Yesterday I drove a 6 mile stretch in the city at 41F that I've previously driven in temps from about 5F to 25F. Just turned 5% at the 6 mile mark...was never less than 8%. First time getting over 1 mile per battery percent loss. Maybe not the most scientific method of measurment but it was a very noticable difference...

Back