Winter range observation/question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gregn said:
jjeff said:
While the EVSEupgrade will be better than nothing, actually more than twice as fast as your OEM EVSE, you still won't be getting the maximum benefit from your work 30a outlet, only about half (16a). Now if you had a pre '15 OEM Leaf EVSE you'd get closer as those could be upgraded to 20a. In your case a 24a EVSE would gain you the fastest recovery time for your 27a Leaf. Of course if 16a gives you more than enough charge thats OK too, just thought I'd point this out :)
Lastly do you know the NEMA type of outlet you have at work? EVSEupgrade uses a L6-30 but I believe they sell adapters($25 each) that allow you to plug into various other outlets. You can also make your own adapter if your technical but often times the cost of the parts might approach the $25, if they sell adapters to the outlet you have.

That speed increase is fine for what I need. I like the fact that it is a versatile unit. 120 or 240 V. Yes I bought the adapter.
Yes versatility is what sold me on doing the EVSEupgrade but I was lucky enough to be able to have mine upgraded to 20a as I have a '13, to me the extra 4a was really needed at times. It's a little bit unnerving having to push a paperclip inside the end of a live j1772 end so I generally unplug it first, then install the paperclip and finally plug it back in to make adjustments. Other than that it's a breeze to change the maximum output current.
Not sure of your commute distance but at 15 degrees and snowing I'd be pressed to do 60 miles on my full bar '13, I generally need to charge at least 1hr at 19a L2 halfway to make that trip, warmer temps it's just fine without a supplemental charge and in the summer I can even make it with a 80% starting charge. Cold and even snow kills range :(

Well I thought I'd report on the adventure in the snow and cold. It was nasty greasy driving both ways. I ran the interstate on the way in. 50-55 was the max for being safe. Sometimes slower. Kept the heat minimal. Set to 65 floor only, fan @2 with the partial recirculated mode on.
Arrived at work with 57% battery.
The temps had dropped to 4°F for the ride home. Not snowing but roads were still covered and slippery.
I was debating about heading to a fast charger with a ways in the wrong direction, but LeafSpy said I had enough to make it home without hitting LBW. Just barely. There are many charging options on the way so I figured I would go for it.
I took the slow road and that was quite slick so I didn't go much over 40. That was the speed other cars were traveling. Left the heat the same as the trip in. It was pulling 1.2kWh most of the time. Just resistance heat. Too cold for the heat pump. About 8 miles from home LeafSpy still had 11 mile before LBW so I kicked on the auto heat. Got home with 3.7 miles before LBW left.
So that was 64 miles traveled so add what LeafSpy said for distance to 5% and that's 72 miles.
I would have to say then don't expect to get more than 65-70 miles without charging in the winter with a 30kWh leaf. If you have to have real heat and travel 65 or faster you won't even get that. I'm still very happy with that range for what I do with the car.
I want to say the ABS saved me today as well. There is a light in Waterbury VT that has a down hill right after it and after the green everyone in front of me stopped. I was definitely going to reared the truck in front of me so I turned to avoid any the car steered perfectly while braking. I was able to stop then cut back in without incident. I do miss studded tires for situations like that.
I bet those kill range though. Anyone run them?
High of 8°F tomorrow. We will see how that goes. I'll be on public charging only till mid next week so this should be an adventure.

I also had a longer commute today in cooler weather(7 degrees F to start 15 on way home) but clear blue skies and roads.
Left with 100% charge(on my 12 bar '13S w/24kwh battery) drove 1 mile side roads to freeway, drove 27 miles mostly 65mph, 2 miles side roads to destination, with heat setting of 2, partial recirc floor only. Arrived with only 40% battery left :( so I knew I had to charge.
Charged for 1hr @ 18a 204v adding about 3.6kwh, SOC was now 62%. Left and did the same route home, same speed and arrived home with 7% to spare!
I can make this same trip in the summer charging to only to 80% and still have teens to 20% left, winter is a range killer :(
I kind of roughly figured I could make the same trip easily with your 30kwh battery, glad I have 1/2 way charging possibilities.

There and back again.. 0ºin/4ºback. 98% charge at start/ 12% charge at end. 64 miles RT. 3.4 m/kWh from LeafSpy. Min heat and 45 mph max. Took 10 min longer that the same trip at the speed limit on the interstate. Nice peaceful drive.

gregn said:
I do miss studded tires for situations like that.
I bet those kill range though. Anyone run them?

I have one of the best studded tires available: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 - on snow/slush they are as good as real winter studless tires
(with snowflake symbol of course, not some all-season crap). On ice they are slightly better, but not a lot.
Hakka 8 should be one of the quietest studs on the market due to special stud design, but they are still pretty noisy on clean
roads (not snow, not ice, not slush, not water). I will switch to studless Nokian R2 next winter. I see no reason to have studs
due to few weeks/days per winter. I just keep more distance ahead. Like 10% more.

PS! Your driving style is good. I have 24kWh and at those temperatures I can do 50-55 miles at nominal speeds for me, 55-60mph.
At around 0C 32F I can drive pretty much the same as in the summer. Therefore those Hakka8 have excellent rolling resistance.

Your CC settings are perfect. Keep airflow at minimal and partial/AUTO recirculation with minimal temperature setting.
Feet only will reduce slightly airflow to the windscreen. With 1 bar fan "feet only" is not enough, defr+feet must be selected and
side vents closed manually :)
Even with minimum temperature setting air that exits the vents is between 115-130F 45-55C.

Back