Why isn't there more unity in EV community?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 8423

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a lot of FUD/BS/misinformation being shared in the thread. Not the first time I've seen it here, or on the Volt forum.

Obviously I get that people are very passionate about their cars. But in the very tiny community of owners of cars that have some EV capabilities, I'd think there'd be a little more support for one another.

Maybe it's just a normal thing for an internet forum, where there will always be some blowhards that will chime in with their opinions no matter the topic (and no matter their knowledge of the subject matter). Most folks on this forum are passionate early adopters & evangelists. Seems like the uninformed/incorrect bashing of one model has the potential to scare people away from EV's completely. In the end, that doesn't help any of us.

I've been following that thread on and off and I haven't seen anything there that would suggest anything other than an argument over which vehicle fits a persons needs better.

Now, there is one person over on the GM-Volt forum that I can't stand because he absolutely hates the Leaf and anytime somebody mentions it he goes onto a rant about how it is not really made in America (rather assembled, he says) and it is a piece of junk, ugly, etc. Anyone who spends any time on that forum will know who I'm talking about.

Personally, I'm interested in any and all plug-in vehicles and even regular hybrids too. I like them all. However, we obviously have to pick 2 vehicles for our household and we've picked the Leaf and the Volt. Who knows what we'll have 5 or 10 years down the line, other than they will be plug-in vehicles. For example, I am not personally adamant that my vehicle does or does not have an I.C.E. My main concern is that I can plug it in every day and do my daily commuting on electric power. That means anything from a C-Max energi and up would work for me.

smkettner said:
When the Mustang & Camaro people start to get along we can have hope for the EV community. (pure EV that is ;) )

Mustang owners are hardly classifiable as "people". Don't get me started on EVs with gas tanks. :lol:

adric22 said:
I've been following that thread on and off and I haven't seen anything there that would suggest anything other than an argument over which vehicle fits a persons needs better.
Ditto.

I think there is a lot of unity. And you will find a lot of people that support 'the right tool for the right job' position.
But there are always those few that have a personal bias, and even a very few with really irrational positions.
What I have to laugh at is the people that defend their favorite plug in vehicle from FUD, and then turn around and spew FUD about another plug in vehicle. Truly funny and they don't even see it.

And as one of both those Tesla and Volt guys, I DO appreciate the greatness in the Leaf :D

Zythryn said:
What I have to laugh at is the people that defend their favorite plug in vehicle from FUD, and then turn around and spew FUD about another plug in vehicle. Truly funny and they don't even see it.
Exactly my point. And at the same time, they can't figure out where people hear all of these "crazy stories" about their favorite car.

smkettner said:
When the Mustang & Camaro people start to get along we can have hope for the EV community. (pure EV that is ;) )
I remember when I use to drive a Mustang and a guy told me "I'd rather be sitting along the side of the road in my Chevy truck than be driving your Ford." To which I replied "That's perfect. I'd rather drive past you sitting in your broken down truck than have you driving my Mustang!" :lol:

The term "compliance car" is thrown around in this forum like a slur.

Why does it matter why a manufacturer makes a car or where they sell it, as long as it's compelling enough to get more people interested in EVs? You guys should embrace ANY progress in the EV space. Or are you all just worried about competition for your favorite public L2/DCFC? :)

^^^
It matters because it demonstrates the level of commitment an automaker has to making EVs.

Sergio Marchionne of Chrysler/Fiat has complained loudly about losing $10K on each Fiat 500e (http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/fiat-not-pleased-with-electric-vehicles-will-los-10-000-on-eac/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/marchionne-claims-10000-loss-on-each-fiat-500e/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and many other sources).

ITestStuff said:

Why does it matter why a manufacturer makes a car or where they sell it, as long as it's compelling enough to get more people interested in EVs? You guys should embrace ANY progress in the EV space. Or are you all just worried about competition for your favorite public L2/DCFC? :)

I understand cwerdna's response to this - especially regarding a manufacturer who produces a highly limited EV run and then has the CEO piss on the EV in public - that manufacturer deserves a negative response.

Nevertheless, I salute any *DRIVER* who actually buys or leases any EV, including a compliance car (and also including the Volt, which is technically a PHEV but in reality is something in-between). I travel on business to the SF bay area a lot so I know that there are places where EVs are common - however in our little backwoods part of Colorado all of us EV owners wave to each other because we are part of a brother/sisterhood - LEAFs, Volts, Teslas, and any other EV that comes along.

cwerdna said:
^^^
It matters because it demonstrates the level of commitment an automaker has to making EVs.

Sergio Marchionne of Chrysler/Fiat has complained loudly about losing $10K on each Fiat 500e

surely you cannot be suggesting that he nor any other profit making entity wants to lose that or any amount of money making a product they've been coerced into making. sure he is going to be complaining about it, and if he didn't his shareholders should fire him.

ITestStuff said:

Um... The Frankenplug? I'm worried that I might need a QC someday but the nearby infrastructure winds up not fitting my car because a cynical mfr came up with a competing standard for their own compliance car to sow FUD among PEV buyers.

That's one reason.

Back