Why I want to be Off-Grid

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smidge204 said:
Herm said:
PS: I dont worry about asteroids either.
Would you worry about asteroids if there were piles of scientific evidence to suggest there was one big enough to cause an extinction-level even headed right for us?

=Smidge=
No Smidge - people that don't recognize science would not acknowledge the evidence of an asteroid, either.

It appears their agenda also blinds them to a polite request to opt-out of a 'debate'. :(

hill said:
There's a less expensive way. So ... why bother having multiple sets of batteries when you can us an ev / phev / or standard hybrid to do the same thing?

http://priups.com/riddle/answer-1.htm
Thanks Hill! I hadn't seen this project - great!

edit...Really Great! Better living brought to you by Toyota and eBay! :lol:

AndyH said:
hill said:
There's a less expensive way. So ... why bother having multiple sets of batteries when you can us an ev / phev / or standard hybrid to do the same thing?

http://priups.com/riddle/answer-1.htm
Thanks Hill! I hadn't seen this project - great!

edit...Really Great! Better living brought to you by Toyota and eBay! :lol:

Delighted to help . . . yes, we bought OUR DC/AC backup system on ebay. It was up in the bay area ... quite a load for the Prius to bring home . . . somewhere in the neighborhood of 700lbs ... just shy. Here's shots of the Prius prior to unloading, as well as the power supply with the battery bank just visible on the side:

PowerSupply1.jpg

1025PriusSide1.jpg

It taks up WAY less space than a generater, and we don't have to worry about generator gas turning into varnish ... filter changes, oil etc. Much cleaner way to go.

Yes sir - she's loaded! And a nice drive from the Bay to OC!

I have a couple of smaller UPS units that keep the network, VoIP phone, file server, etc. alive. They're portable and have been used for lights, the microwave, or a quick check with the TV from time to time. A large UPS, though, with some large format lithium cells... It should give much of the capability of a genset or PriUPS without a Prius.

Toy Shopping Time! :D

"Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electric service, typically lasting 10-45 minutes per neighborhood."

Less than an hour? Just get a flashlight if you are afraid of the dark ;)

smkettner said:
"Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electric service, typically lasting 10-45 minutes per neighborhood."

Less than an hour? Just get a flashlight if you are afraid of the dark ;)
:D

These specific rolling blackouts were about one hour off every three hours. It's the uncontrolled outages that I have the UPSes to deal with.

I still want to be off-grid ultimately, and in a place that doesn't need more than about 1KW of solar to keep everything running. One of these days... ;)

Today's Power Stability Giggle... :lol:

February 8, 2011

ERCOT ISSUES WATCH TO UTILITIES; CONTINUED CONSERVATION ENCOURAGED

Dear Valued Customer:

Energy conservation remains critical, as Texas weather dips below freezing again, particularly on Wednesday and Thursday. The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) today issued a statewide watch, cautioning utilities that they may have to "shed load," which could create rolling outages such as those that occurred last week.

Although ERCOT is not anticipating that statewide outages will be needed, customers are asked to help avoid emergency conditions by limiting energy use, especially during times of high demand: 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m., weekdays. Easy ways to conserve include:

Avoiding tasks with high energy use: washing and drying clothes, automated dish washing, etc.
Setting thermostat at 68 degrees while at home, and slightly lower when away.
Turning off lights and appliances when not in use.
Unplugging appliances, electronics and chargers that are not in use, such as coffee pots, toasters, phone chargers, etc. If it's plugged in, it's drawing at least a small amount of energy.

Customers also are advised to use surge protectors to minimize the impact on electronics for any type of outage. To report 24-hour gas and electric emergencies, call 353-HELP (4357).

Sincerely,

Sandra Noble-Currans, Senior Manager
Customer Contact
CPS Energy

http://texasvox.org/2011/03/13/ferc-to-use-texas-outage-inquiry-to-evaluate-national-energy-issues/
FERC to use Texas outage inquiry to evaluate national energy issues
March 13, 2011 by Citizen Carol
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) wants to know the reasons for the Texas power generation outages and for the interruptions in natural gas delivery to New Mexico.

As Texas officials began looking into the causes of the Texas electricity blackouts, New Mexico was holding its own hearings. The ripple effect felt by down pipeline states when Texas’ electric grid and natural gas supplies went awry during an abnormally cold winter storm in February of this has prompted the federal agency to examine how to ensure that a new fleet of natural gas plants around the country can get plenty of fuel.

This has major implications for a state that has been expanding natural gas drilling operations exponentially over the past several years, many think to the detriment of the environment and the health of those who live around those operation. Just ask the folks in the Barnett Shale region of North Texas. Some of them might even be able to light their water taps on fire for you.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1957362.shtml
Posted at: 02/03/2011 5:19 PM | Updated at: 02/03/2011 9:50 PM
By: Jeremy Jojola, KOB Eyewitness News 4; Charlie Pabst, KOB.com

New Mexico Gas Company is speaking for the first time about why tens of thousands of New Mexicans have no natural gas service.

The company blames supply and demand, and a lack of pressure to push the gas through the pipelines.

Power blackouts in Texas have cut off power to compressors in West Texas that feed gas into New Mexico.

With the low pressure and high demand for natural gas, the gas utility says it's impossible to supply everyone.

Up to 32,000 customers across the state are doing without natural gas.

Fast forward to summer...

http://www.cpsenergy.com/Services/Power_Outages/Power_Emergency/index.asp
Power Emergency: June 27, 2011
CPS Energy will utilize this page to post periodic updates to our current power emergency event. Also, see our Power Outages page for information and tips for what you should do during an outage.

ERCOT ENERGY EMERGENCY ALERT ISSUED; ENERGY CONSERVATION NEEDED TO AVOID OUTAGES
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.

CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:

- Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
- Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
- Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
- Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
- To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.

Just a follow-up for the folks that took time to show me some battery options.

It's been difficult to get information on how the modern NiFe cells perform. There's info the Edison-era cells, but precious little info on how well the Chinese cells operate day to day or long term. The vendors and/or promoters will not sell individual cells and will not entertain orders for small capacity cell purchases. The Chinese manufacturer, Changhong, makes them as small as 10Ah.

There appear to be three main promoters of the cells - BeUtilityFree, Iron Edison, and Ian Soutar. Ian Soutar says he will sell individual 10Ah cells for testing/research but didn't respond to multiple emails or telephone calls. John DAngelo at BeUtilityFree could not provide tech info beyond the Changhong brochure, or any data from his multiple customers on how the cells perform in the real world. He made it painfully clear that he was only interested in selling a large battery bank. Brandon Williams from Iron Edison was nice to talk with and while he couldn't provide any long-term performance data, he did have info from a number of charge/discharge bench tests. Multiple requests for information from Changhong went unanswered.

Edison NiFe cells have proven to last a good long time but they are designed to be taken apart for cleaning/refurbishment. The Chinese cells, on the other hand, are welded together. The biggest reason I chose to bypass these cells is that while the cells last a good long time, the electrolyte absorbs carbon from the air. The carbonation process was slowed in Edison cells by adding a layer of oil on top of the electrolyte, but the last manufacturer of the specialized product stopped manufacturing it a number of years ago and it's no longer available. Replacing the electrolyte every 5 or so years will cost almost as much as buying a new battery - and these are not inexpensive cells.

LiFePO4 is also an option and is being used for off-grid batteries but there's no good info yet on calendar life in this service. I have been cycling a small 10Ah 12V LiFePO4 pack with a solar panel but it'll take years for changes to appear. They should do a good job when kept in the middle 60-70% state of charge range, rather than the 'keep full' norm for lead acid.

After running numbers and better defining my off-grid loads, I'll probably go with industrial lead-acid, at least for the first battery. They're made on this continent and don't have to be shipped across the Pacific, they're a very well known entity, and all the balance of system equipment is designed for lead acid - SOC meters, charge controllers, etc.

Thanks very much for the chat, gents, and for the info on NiFe!

Andy

http://www.changhongbatteries.com
http://www.beutilityfree.com/Electric/Ni-Fe
http://ironedison.com/
http://www.zappworks.com/index.htm
http://www.microsec.net/index.html
http://www.nickel-iron-battery.com/
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146519.0
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,145957.0.html
http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5259-carbonated-NiFe-issues
http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?6267-LIOH-function-and-charge-efficiency

Ladies and gents,

The time has come for the next chapter. When I arrived here I was completely in love with the Leaf and thought it was my next best option to make my life a bit more sustainable. In the course of learning from and enjoying your company, my view continued to evolve. The next step has morphed into something that'll take my life well past my original plans - and for that awareness I thank each of you!

I'll soon close on almost 21 acres of abused pasture land. My Earthship plans are taking shape and it's time to stock up on Motrin and move my house into temporary storage. Once the summer heat eases a bit, it'll be time to pound tires, get the off-grid solar system connected, get the water harvesting pipes connected, and figure out where to put the house and garden.

The first building will be a modified 'packaged model' Earthship that'll be the garage/shop in the future. In the mean time, I'll be the 'studio apartment' and shelter for the winter while building the main Global Model house. Once the house is done, the real fun begins while the land is brought back to life thanks to permaculture. And there are telescopes to use and model rockets to fly.

I'll still be EVing on the motorcycle, and will start distilling alcohol for the truck once I have a sugar crop ready. Aside from the propane for the kitchen stove, I'll be oil free. Hopefully biomathane will replace the propane before I get too old to appreciate it. ;) Progress. One step at a time. As I approach 50, I hope there will be plenty more steps where those came from! :lol:

Blessings to each of you. Thank you for making this community what it is - and thank you for helping me see the importance of being true to ourselves, the importance of dumping dead dinosaurs, and caring enough about what's important to put your money and your lives where your heart is. You're all pioneers and I'm thankful to have been allowed to spend time here.

So long.

Andy

Good luck Andy! You are in for a great adventure, and a lot of hard, but rewarding work. Are you staying in Texas or moving to higher elevation? I have always appreciated your contribution to the forum. Stay in touch.

Andy; good luck on your new adventure. it sounds like its daunting challenges come with equally lofty rewards. please stop by time to time when you can. your contributions will be missed

leafkabob - Yes, staying in Texas - don't want to get too far away from my son. Thank you! I continue to enjoy the family that's formed here!

Dave - Thanks! It feels like a significant change, that's for sure, but also feels like the next logical step. Thankfully, since walking the property, I'm fairly certain the next step won't be into a cow pie. :lol:

I'll definitely be back from time to time until the move. It'll be interesting once the move happens as there's no internet access out there without going to satellite, so I'll be off-line for some time. It appears from the trembling that happens when I say that, that I'll have to add "internet" to the list next to my coffee addiction. ;)

edit...typos...

AndyH said:
I'll definitely be back from time to time until the move. It'll be interesting once the move happens as there's no internet access our there without going to satellite, so I'll be off-line for some time. It appears from the trembling that happens when I say that that I'll have to add "internet" to the list next to my coffee addiction. ;)
Hope you are able to blog about your adventure -- I for one would enjoy keeping up with it all.

Well, that was fun...I think...

The land deal fell through so back to shopping. So y'all are stuck with me for a while longer. (Sorry - need to be more inclusive -- All y'all are stuck with me a while longer. :lol: )

Maybe for a reason, however. I'm headed to work on an Earthship in East Texas in the Crockett National Forest - apparently we'll be installing new mods to the building to improve cooling during the HOT and humid late summers. This'll be a good opportunity to find out what the 'latest and greatest' is, and to get some first hand info on how the buildings work in this neck of the woods.

Everything in its time. ;)

Hindsight... I am SO glad this property purchase and the subsequent three attempts fell through. I was concentrating on Wilson county, SE of San Antonio. Here's what's happening there now:

http://stories.weather.com/fracking

Thank God for unanswered prayers...

KARNES CITY, Texas — When Lynn Buehring leaves her doctor’s office in San Antonio she makes sure her inhaler is on the seat beside her, then steers her red GMC pickup truck southeast on U.S. 181, toward her home on the South Texas prairie.

About 40 miles down the road, between Poth and Falls City, drilling rigs, crude oil storage tanks and flares trailing black smoke appear amid the mesquite, live oak and pecan trees. Depending on the speed and direction of the wind, a yellow-brown haze might stretch across the horizon, filling the car with pungent odors.

Sometimes Buehring’s eyes burn, her chest tightens and pain stabs at her temples. On those days, she touches her inhaler for reassurance.

texasoilfiel-1392342858-30.jpg

missed a word...again...

Back