Who misses the hum of the combustion engine?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And accelerating faster makes your average speed for the same trip higher and therefore aero drag will be higher. Yes, time will be less but time is linear whereas aero drag goes up with the square of the velocity.

Yep, it is all about the area under the curve...

Electric4Me said:
And accelerating faster makes your average speed for the same trip higher and therefore aero drag will be higher. Yes, time will be less but time is linear whereas aero drag goes up with the square of the velocity.

Also, while style of acceleration and style of braking are independent of each other, MOST people who accelerate hard also maintain a high speed longer and then brake harder to decrease the distance over which they must brake. Thus they dissipate more energy in the brakes than drivers who allow the inherent internal drag to do much of their slowing down. (Even an EV or hybrid with regenerative braking loses energy with braking due to the charging losses in the battery.)

Electric4Me said:

How about if you brake slower!
Than that will compensate for this small drag increase and you still enjoy acceleration and maybe even capture more during regenerative breaking (due to less loss to heat the brake).

About less loss in slow acceleration, I just don't accept it... Even in my old clunker I was not getting any noticeable increase in MPG while accelerating fast or slow (well, maybe I did not pay enough attention), but I did a week of slow acceleration and week of fast acceleration in Leaf driving same ~40 miles roundtrip, and I fail to see any difference...
What I find is that the most effect on consumption is breaking anticipation. That I can notice. I drove like in ICE for the fist few weeks and was getting about 3.2 mpk, if I keep the distance and use only brake pedal tapping to increase engine braking, I'm getting about 3.9 mpk
With slow/fast acceleration the difference is probably in hundredths of mpk...

I know that I did not apply any scientific data gathering, and didn't do temperature and wind/rain adjustment, but still I don't think the rapid acceleration has really big effect on energy economy, unless you accelerate to higher speeds, that will affect things greatly. You just need to learn to drop the accelerator at the right moment...

UkrainianKozak said:
Why is it that everyone thinks that accelerating fast is using more energy?
as long as you are not burning rubber, if you accelerate slow or fast, to reach the SAME SPEED, it should take the same amount of energy, actually accelerating fast SAVES energy as you are getting to your destination faster and lose less "parasitic energy" (AC/NAV, other electronics)
If this was true ECO Mode would be full or off rather than the sluggish feeling compared to regular Drive.

smkettner said:
If this was true ECO Mode would be full or off rather than the sluggish feeling compared to regular Drive.

THAT IS MY DREAM!!!

I actually think we should have a Speed pedal in Leaf instead of acceleration pedal.
I mean position should be tied to a certain speed, so if the speed is less, full throttle is applied (maybe with some padding/adjustment to avoid over-accelerating and to avoid possible regen/accel du to some latencies)
if the speed is more, then full regen should kick in. If you drop the pedal, the vehicle should eventually stop. Then you don't need to use breaks much if you will keep enough distance (hey, that's a safer driving, and you save mony! win-win) kind of variable cruise-control instead of accelerator behavior copy from ICE...

I want to have fast and responsive accelerator, and I want to have as much regen as possible without hitting brakes...

Back