Who buys a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

This is a provocative question, and here is an equally provocative article discussing it.

electric_top_shot.jpg

interesting article. well, for whatever the reason anyone doesn't want to drive an EV, they are missing out!

edit: and I will smoke their Escalade any day!

hybrids only represent approximately 2.5 percent of the overall market
Wow, you certainly don't get that sense in California. I'd tend to agree that most people want to make a statement with their car, and environmental concerns are not on the top of our collective list. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, of Top Gear fame: "I am very aware of the environment, and I'm still not interested in it".

I'd like to know what this refers to:

"...with the cost of regular maintenance and up-keep, which requires ordering special parts from the dealer, pretty much diminishes whatever practical values the vehicle may offer for the everyday user."

I agree with the self esteem issue and I do not think it is exclusive to people of color. Alot of people just want to buy a car (Brand) they think will elevate social status in their culture. It does not matter how efficient it is, how much it costs, etc. If the car will project the image they want to portray then they will covet it. EX: An Escalade on 24's is a much more meaningful brand image of success to the Hip Hop culture than a LEAF. But a LEAF is an extremely meaningful product to the Tech and Enviro culture.

Some people shop for status "Brands" and others the best products. It's just different priorities for what you "Need".

I for one hope that Nissan does not try to "Brand" the LEAF the way Toyota has done with the Prii. It is now a cliche and filled with mixed meaning. Fortunately, it already looks like Nissan will be providing unique names and identities to it's electric cars. IMHO, this will go far in attracting a much more diverse group of car enthusiasts.

Well, there went 90 seconds of my life I wish I could have back, and I just skimmed the article. Our Nissan salesman, Dino Tukes, is African-American, and I challenge you to find a more knowledgeable advocate for EVs no matter what their skin color. It's really a shame in this day and age we have not been able to move beyond stereotypes and evaluate people individually.

sproqitman said:
Well, there went 90 seconds of my life I wish I could have back, and I just skimmed the article. Our Nissan salesman, Dino Tukes, is African-American, and I challenge you to find a more knowledgeable advocate for EVs no matter what their skin color. It's really a shame in this day and age we have not been able to move beyond stereotypes and evaluate people individually.

??? The OP article makes no judgement on people of color. The question is one of statistics. As in why do people of color seem to statistically NOT be interested in environmentally responsible cars? No matter our race, we all breath the same air, drink the same water and spill the same blood in the Middle East. It's a good question.

IMHO the Leaf has been initially selling well to middle-aged tech-nerdy types with some disposable income. Well, I'm one, so please don't throw rocks at me. A Nissan marketing guy smiled and nodded when I mentioned this impression to him. He said it's a pretty narrow demographic at this early-adopter stage of things.

At the current state of cultural development in the USA, many if not most most of the above are of European ancestry. This is changing, and I'm happy to see it, but that's where we are now.

Instead of linking to the Jalopnik blog, I like to cite the original study cited by the article from Fast company, which was cited in the Jalopnik Blog.

The original study is from Greenlining Institute's Electric Vehicle's report titled: Who's left stranded.

Two findings that I find interesting about California's demographic and Hybrid ownership:

1. Asians and Latino are more concerned than Whites about global warming, as polled in 2010 by LA Times / USC

2. Yet Asians and Latinos own disproportionally fewer Hybrids than White, based on data from the 2010 US Census and 2009 Household travel survey from US Department of Transportation. I took the liberty and normalize data (in parenthesis) by dividing hybrid ownership by population. If the ratio is greater than 1, then the group are overrepresented as hybrid buyer. IF it's below 1, then it's underrepresented.
- Whites make up 42% of the population and own a whopping 69% of hybrid owners (ratio of 1.64)
- Blacks make up 6% of population, and owns 4% of hybrid (ratio of 0.67)
- Asians make up 13% of population, but owns only 8% of the States hybrid cars (ratio of 0.62)
- Latinos make up 39% of population, and own only 19% (ratio of 0.49)

Here's my take on the data (just speculation)
- While minority as a whole buy fewer hybrids as their population will suggest, I suspect this more to do with the social-economic factors such as: higher initial cost of the hybrid; minority participate more in the used car market where fewer hybrids may be available and those for sale likely retain their value better.
- On the other hand, minorities (Asian and Latino are polled in the study, but not blacks) as a whole are polled to be more environmentally conscious, probably due to their political affiliation.
- One last point: while Blacks buy disproportionally fewer Hybrids than Whites, they do purchase hybrids at a higher rate than Asians or Latinos!

Hmm...

As a black Leaf owner (for clarity, *I'm* black--the Leaf is blue :)), I'll weigh in.

I feel that the factors involved with ownership have much more to do with one's ability to afford the vehicle (socio-economic status) and awareness of the environmental issues at hand (a loose proxy for education).

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that in general, people of color in the U.S. tend to score below average on the above measures, for long and complex reasons which I will not attempt to address in this (brief) reply. There are notable exceptions to this, of course.

What would be more interesting to me than owner skin color is correlation of ownership with the level of affluence and/or education of said owners. My suspicion is that adoption rates will fall off sharply (regardless of skin color) as wealth and/or level of education decreases. I believe skin color is serving as a reasonable proxy for this phenomenon (and perhaps, as a way to sensationalize the article to increase readership).

Just my two cents,
-Brad

bradleygibson said:
Hmm...

As a black Leaf owner (for clarity, *I'm* black--the Leaf is blue :)), I'll weigh in.

I feel that the factors involved with ownership have much more to do with one's ability to afford the vehicle (socio-economic status) and awareness of the environmental issues at hand (a loose proxy for education).

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that in general, people of color in the U.S. tend to score below average on the above measures, for long and complex reasons which I will not attempt to address in this (brief) reply. There are notable exceptions to this, of course.

What would be more interesting to me than owner skin color is correlation of ownership with the level of affluence and/or education of said owners. My suspicion is that adoption rates will fall off sharply (regardless of skin color) as wealth and/or level of education decreases. I believe skin color is serving as a reasonable proxy for this phenomenon (and perhaps, as a way to sensationalize the article to increase readership).

Just my two cents,
-Brad

+1

bradleygibson said:

Just my two cents,
-Brad

Well said and spot on.

bradleygibson said:
Hmm...

Just my two cents,
-Brad

Well said! You should add that response to the Google+ discussion thread. :)

Let’s face it that was not a scientific study that would stand up to peer review. It was an article based upon some information and blogs. We do not have any of the details associated with that study. We have no way of knowing how people were questioned, who was questioned, what questions were asked, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. It strikes me as sensationalism, rather than something of real value. Having said that….

We all should know that as Leaf owners, we represent a small niche demographic, very early adopters. I personally am less interested in: who is purchasing a Leaf and more interested in supporting alternative means of transportation. I would like to think that my expenditures are making a difference by drawing attention to vehicles like the Prius, Leaf, and Tesla..... Until the consumer demands better, cheaper, safer, etcetera industry will sit back and give us what they think we want. That is why the Leaf and its siblings are so important at this present time. Nissan appreciates that without government support vehicles like the Prius or Leaf will not go beyond very small numbers. So I do my best to promote the Leaf to anyone who will listen.

Yes, the car is rather expensive. It does have limited application in comparison to our 2006 Prius. I am not sure had I not received the $7500 from Uncle Sam, and the $5000 from wonderful California that I would have been able to purchase the car. But, I did and I am going to sell it to everyone I can, because I think it is the right thing to do.
Manny :)

yoyofella said:
2. Yet Asians and Latinos own disproportionally fewer Hybrids than White, based on data from the 2010 US Census and 2009 Household travel survey from US Department of Transportation. I took the liberty and normalize data (in parenthesis) by dividing hybrid ownership by population. If the ratio is greater than 1, then the group are overrepresented as hybrid buyer. IF it's below 1, then it's underrepresented.
First you have to control for economic status, education & occupation - only then you can draw any conclusions. I'm not a statistician, but have been reading Nate Silver for a long time ;-)

My guess is that those three are a good predictor of EV ownership.

Repost with the study's figure embedded for your viewing pleasure. This is the data the OP's blog is based on.

The original study is from Greenlining Institute's Electric Vehicle's report titled: Who's left stranded. There are three Figures:

hybridownership2009.jpg

Source: 2009 National household Travel Survey, U.S. Department of Transportation

californiademographics2.jpg

Source: 2010 Census Data

globalwarmingpoll2010.jpg

Source: LA Times/University of Southern California poll, 2010.

Two findings that I find interesting about California's demographic and Hybrid ownership:

1. Asians and Latino are more concerned than Whites about global warming, as polled in 2010 by LA Times / USC

- Whites make up 42% of the population and own a whopping 69% of hybrid owners (ratio of 1.64)
- Blacks make up 6% of population, and owns 4% of hybrid (ratio of 0.67)
- Asians make up 13% of population, but owns only 8% of the States hybrid cars (ratio of 0.62)
- Latinos make up 39% of population, and own only 19% (ratio of 0.49)

Here's my take on the data (just speculation)
- While minority as a whole buy fewer hybrids as their population will suggest, I suspect this more to do with the social-economic factors such as: higher initial cost of the hybrid; minority participate more in the used car market where fewer hybrids may be available and those for sale likely retain their value better.
- On the other hand, minorities (Asian and Latino are polled in the study, but not blacks) as a whole are polled to be more environmentally conscious, probably due to their political affiliation.
- One last point: while Blacks buy disproportionally fewer Hybrids than Whites, they do purchase hybrids at a higher rate than Asians or Latinos!

bradleygibson said:
Hmm...

Just my two cents,
-Brad

+ 2

It has everything to do with the resources of the individual and nothing to do with race. Education tends to lend itself to a higher socioeconomic status, so that would also be a factor or rather a correlation between the two.

My question is do those of us that purchase the leaf also have above average intelligence to go with our ability to pay a premium price for all electric? Probably also another correlation between higher incomes and above average intelligence, so it probably goes without saying.

Back