White House petition for more chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield has weighed in. Short version, not now, making the same points that have been previously expressed here by many:

http://www.plugincars.com/rapid-chargers-every-50-miles-white-house-petition-127930.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield has weighed in. Short version, not now, making the same points that have been previously expressed here by many:

http://www.plugincars.com/rapid-chargers-every-50-miles-white-house-petition-127930.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now that is sound reasoning. Thanks, Nikki.

We have both a local and a road EV, and use them appropriately.

Bluebull said:
planet4ever said:
The LEAF top speed is 40 mph for distance travel.
Just curious, but where do you get your 40 mph figure? In my Leaf I can go 80 miles traveling 55 mph and that is in the dead of summer with temp at 100+ F.
Yes, indeed Tony's chart says you should be able to go 89 miles at 55 mph with a 100% charge. But that's to Turtle. You obviously aren't going to wait to anywhere close to Turtle before you start looking for a QC station. And if you charge to 100% it will take a loooong time.

So, here is where I get my figure. I think you will find that my assumptions are reasonable. Some of them are, in fact, wildly optimistic. My spreadsheet can take different values for the variables, and I have played around with them. The only way I could get a result even slightly faster than 40 mph was to reduce the overhead time to less than 5 minutes.

Assumptions
  • New battery. (Degraded batteries would give worse results because they require more stops, and there is fixed overhead per stop.)
  • 80% Quick Charge. (Charging slows dramatically beyond that, making the numbers much worse.)
  • Locations always have a charging station that is not out of service.
  • Driver willing to go down to VLBW if necessary to reach the next charging station.
  • Use Tony's numbers for distance vs. speed.
Variables
  • 25 minutes to Quick Charge a new battery, LBW to 80%
  • 5 minutes overhead to get off the highway, to the station, plug in and start charging, unplug and get back on highway.
  • 0 minutes average to wait for a charger to be available.
  • 5 miles between QC stations. (In reality spacing would be more random, but that would give worse results because drivers would need a larger buffer at the bottom.)

40mileLimit1.png

* Miles from 80% is interpolated
Minutes charging is adjusted proportionally according to how far above or below LBW the charging starts.
Total cycle time is (driving time) + (wait time) + (overhead time) + charging time).
Effective speed is (driving speed) * (driving time) / (cycle time).

40mileLimit2.png

Ray

I would like to thank you guys for taking a look at my petition and posting your thoughts.

The main point of this petition was to spark a conversation about electric vehicles and find ways to broaden their acceptance with the public. I didn’t expect to get 100,000 signatures but I did hope that it would garner some support and get people talking. In this respect, I feel that it did because there have been articles written on green auto sites as well as more traditionally known sites like the Chicago Tribune.

A little background on how this got started. I have always been interested in electric vehicles and getting the nation off oil, which is something, we spend 435 billion a year importing. With that in mind, I decided to look into getting an electric car. In that process, I realized that if I purchased a Nissan Leaf that I would not be able to drive to Austin, which is a city that is only 90 miles away. I would be more then happy to stop in San Marcos and grab a cup of coffee while my car recharges on a quick charger (20 minutes) but that is not an option. The only option is a level 2 charger (4 + hours) that would take longer to recharge my vehicle then it would take to drive to Austin in an ICE car. This trip isn’t something I do all that often but it would be nice to have the option. So I started looking around and there are hardly any quick chargers in the U.S. That means that electric cars no matter what their range are limited. Tesla sees this issue and is taken it head on with their super charger network so that the idea of “range anxiety” is a thing of the past. This is a great talking point for them but this only helps Tesla vehicles, which are priced above the average consumer car (60k +).

I’ve heard it said that we should just wait for the cars to get better range and then start installing the quick charger infrastructure. This is a classic chicken or the egg problem. The infrastructure allows electric cars to go further, which in turn gets people to purchase the cars. The increased demand allows the companies to have to greater resources to spend on further developing the electric vehicles.

Again, I appreciate all of the interest and I hope that I was able to clarify a few things. This plan might not be perfect and it might make more sense to adjust charger distance based on local factors such as population density but lets continue the conversation. The goal here is to help promote the electric vehicle as an alternative to the gas car so I welcome any feedback that you may have.

Thank you,

Ryan
@evguy4

evguy5 said:
I would like to thank you guys for taking a look at my petition and posting your thoughts....

...Thank you,

Ryan
@evguy4

Ryan, i signed your petition although i dont think its the best option. I posted a response to Nikki's article if you want details.

I do live in an area that has put in QC's that cover about 50-60% of the trip options for the region and yes it is wonderful. Many take trips from 100-250 miles round trip by LEAF and that is possible due to the fast chargers we have here. Its a start and there is a long way to do and redundancy and filling in the gaps are next on the list. its a slow process that was first proposed 3 years ago. the rollout has been slower than expected, locations changed (not always for the better) and we still have very large gaps that are not any closer to being filled today than they were 14 months ago when the first station was turned on.

I don't want to leave the impression that I am totally opposed to Quick Chargers. I agree with Dave and many others that they can be very useful as range extenders for trips in the 70-150 mile zone. I simply think that, with the possible exception of Tesla, no electric cars today can reasonably be used for touring, and that we do not yet know what kind of infrastructure will be useful for that in the future. I am reminded of the early 1990's when I was convinced that HTTP was bloated nonsense, and that the internet would run forever on Gopher.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I don't want to leave the impression that I am totally opposed to Quick Chargers. I agree with Dave and many others that they can be very useful as range extenders for trips in the 70-150 mile zone. I simply think that, with the possible exception of Tesla, no electric cars today can reasonably be used for touring, and that we do not yet know what kind of infrastructure will be useful for that in the future. I am reminded of the early 1990's when I was convinced that HTTP was bloated nonsense, and that the internet would run forever on Gopher.

Ray
Ray, I don't know if anyone had the impression that you or anyone else not signing the petition was totally opposed to QCs; if they did, they need to work on their reading comprehension. What we're against is the indiscriminate installation of QCs along all 47k+ miles of the Interstate system which the petition calls for, as opposed to the targeted installation of QCs around appropriate metropolitan areas on freeways, highways and main roads for limited range extension which we're all for.

Many of us are also against having the government be involved in this. While government support was necessary to provide seed money for dem/val such as the EV project etc. in limited, selected areas, their (lack of) oversight has allowed the incompetence and inefficiency (to put the best possible interpretation on it) of Ecotality to continue for far longer than it should, and also enabled the outright fraud of 350Green in Chicago. And these government projects continue to value number of locations over number of chargers _per_ location, despite our repeated explanations (and now Tesla's demonstration) of why single QCs per site won't do.

In short, we have zero confidence that the federal government won't continue to waste oodles of cash through waste, fraud and abuse by their contractors, while ignoring the needs of the users. We all know places where QCs are vital to provide the range extensions that we know to be valuable given the current state of the art (chant with me: Gilroy! GILROY! GILROY!), but despite many of us lobbying the appropriate entities for as much as two years, such lobbying typically has no effect. Bay Area residents still can't get to Monterey using a (single) QC; Sacramento residents still can't get to Lake Tahoe with 1.5 to 2. Other areas with similar obvious weekend destinations remain unserved by QCs. Meanwhile, single, redundant QCs continue to be put in in areas that are already well-served, wasting their potential.

And then we have this well-meaning but entirely wrong-headed petition that would have the federal government paying to install (undoubtedly single) QCs every 50 miles (too far, in many cases) along interstates, with equal priority given to:

1. The often frigid emptiness of eastern Oregon and Washington, all of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, North and South Dakota and the western parts of Minnesota, Nebraska and Kansas, as well as hot but equally empty parts of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Texas;

2. Those areas with both the population density and the relatively short distances between cities and/or recreation areas that QCs can have a positive impact on trips with current BEVs, _and be cost-effective_ .

The sheer fiscal stupidity of any such project that installs QCs in the areas mentioned in paragraph #1 AT THIS TIME should be obvious to any EV user who is familiar with the real capability of QCs used with current limited-range BEVs. The problem is that the general public is unaware of most of the factors that make any such move a bad idea, and given that they are most likely to retain that information that is shouted the loudest, i.e. that from the anti-EV blogosphere, this poorly thought-out petition just provides abundant ammo for the anti-EV crowd.

GRA said:
Ray, I don't know if anyone had the impression that you or anyone else not signing the petition was totally opposed to QCs; if they did, they need to work on their reading comprehension.
First sentence and you are already attacking some phantom person. No one attacked Ray. He was just being polite. Why are you so ready to fight with someone on this board? Why don't you use some of that energy and go after oil companies? It is very discouraging to anyone trying to help.

GRA said:
What we're against is the indiscriminate installation of QCs along all 47k+ miles of the Interstate system which the petition calls for, as opposed to the targeted installation of QCs around appropriate metropolitan areas on freeways, highways and main roads for limited range extension which we're all for.
Fair enough (although I didn't realize you talked for the whole board) but why not make your own petition instead of just attacking someone else's who is trying to help? Do keep in mind that there are people who live in smaller towns that want and deserve EV's just as much as you.

GRA said:
Many of us are also against having the government be involved in this. While government support was necessary to provide seed money for dem/val such as the EV project etc. in limited, selected areas, their (lack of) oversight has allowed the incompetence and inefficiency (to put the best possible interpretation on it) of Ecotality to continue for far longer than it should, and also enabled the outright fraud of 350Green in Chicago. And these government projects continue to value number of locations over number of chargers _per_ location, despite our repeated explanations (and now Tesla's demonstration) of why single QCs per site won't do.
Again, make your own petition instead of just attacking others. Keep in mind that every day that we don't do something is another day we are stuck on oil which has very real cost in dollars and in blood. I personally would rather waste some dollars on too many chargers than not do anything. Time is of the essence.

GRA said:
In short, we have zero confidence that the federal government won't continue to waste oodles of cash through waste, fraud and abuse by their contractors, while ignoring the needs of the users.
Are you also railing against home and business EVSE tax credits?

GRA said:
We all know places where QCs are vital to provide the range extensions that we know to be valuable given the current state of the art (chant with me: Gilroy! GILROY! GILROY!), but despite many of us lobbying the appropriate entities for as much as two years, such lobbying typically has no effect. Bay Area residents still can't get to Monterey using a (single) QC; Sacramento residents still can't get to Lake Tahoe with 1.5 to 2. Other areas with similar obvious weekend destinations remain unserved by QCs. Meanwhile, single, redundant QCs continue to be put in in areas that are already well-served, wasting their potential.
Your focus is wrong. We need thousands of more chargers around the country. You should not be upset that one place has too many. You should be happy for them and continue lobbying for your own.

GRA said:
And then we have this well-meaning but entirely wrong-headed petition that would have the federal government paying to install (undoubtedly single) QCs every 50 miles (too far, in many cases) along interstates
Actually the petition doesn't say who should pay. It definitely does not say it should be single QCs. Why do you assume that? Why do you read a petition from someone trying to help in the most negative way possible? Also, when you say 50 miles is too far, you are assuming that chargers will be installed tomorrow and that the Leaf can't drive that far. It is likely that the range of cars will increase by some amount before construction would begin on the first charger.

GRA said:
The sheer fiscal stupidity of any such project that installs QCs in the areas mentioned in paragraph #1 AT THIS TIME should be obvious to any EV user who is familiar with the real capability of QCs used with current limited-range BEVs. The problem is that the general public is unaware of most of the factors that make any such move a bad idea, and given that they are most likely to retain that information that is shouted the loudest, i.e. that from the anti-EV blogosphere, this poorly thought-out petition just provides abundant ammo for the anti-EV crowd.
Someone has an idea, creates a petition, writes on this board for help and you call his idea stupid while offering no action of your own. Kind of shameful in my book. Should't we all be working together?

Everyone knows the limits of EV's today but I think Tesla has proven that the technology can do better if we demand it from Nissan, GM and others. By the time this network was put in, range is likely to increase but that is still not the point. The petition, as the author states, is about extending city driving, not long distance trips.

GRA said:
most likely to retain that information that is shouted the loudest, i.e. that from the anti-EV blogosphere, this poorly thought-out petition just provides abundant ammo for the anti-EV crowd.
Read your own post, you have become the "Anti-EV crowd." I am sure you have put in more than your fair share of energy fighting for chargers and other things to help the movement but I think you have lost your way at least temporarily. Reach out and help instead of try to tear people and/or ideas down. If we are going to convince a real % of the country to get of gasoline, we can't do it by fighting each other.

fastcharge said:
I personally would rather waste some dollars on too many chargers than not do anything. Time is of the essence.
Creating waste because of a sense of urgency is a bad idea in my book. Our federal government is entirely capable of generating a massive amount of waste without us petitioning them to do so.

Keep in mind that we will not only be wasting money, but we will also be wasting energy and other physical resources to install such a network. The current generation of quick chargers are expensive and unreliable and the standards are still being fought about. On top of this, the electrical requirements are quite steep for each and every charging location. If we endeavor to have our government build a gigantic charging network, I am convinced we will do more damage to the environment than if whey had done nothing.

My vote is that we let this network develop organically so that clever methods of making charging points pay for themselves can be worked out. So far, there have been some poorly-conceived business models put into place to try to make this happen, but eventually some approaches will work and the network will grow.

RegGuheert said:
fastcharge said:
I personally would rather waste some dollars on too many chargers than not do anything. Time is of the essence.
Creating waste because of a sense of urgency is a bad idea in my book. Our federal government is entirely capable of generating a massive amount of waste without us petitioning them to do so.

Keep in mind that we will not only be wasting money, but we will also be wasting energy and other physical resources to install such a network. The current generation of quick chargers are expensive and unreliable and the standards are still being fought about. On top of this, the electrical requirements are quite steep for each and every charging location. If we endeavor to have our government build a gigantic charging network, I am convinced we will do more damage to the environment than if whey had done nothing.

My vote is that we let this network develop organically so that clever methods of making charging points pay for themselves can be worked out. So far, there have been some poorly-conceived business models put into place to try to make this happen, but eventually some approaches will work and the network will grow.
You are much more patient than I am but I respect your opinion.

Bluebull said:
Just curious, but where do you get your 40 mph figure? In my Leaf I can go 80 miles traveling 55 mph and that is in the dead of summer with temp at 100+ F.

Sure, but what if you wanted to go 800 miles?

Leave with 100%, drive, stop and quick charge, repeat as needed. How fast could you do that trip?

Don't even worry about battery damage.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
Ray, I don't know if anyone had the impression that you or anyone else not signing the petition was totally opposed to QCs; if they did, they need to work on their reading comprehension.
First sentence and you are already attacking some phantom person. No one attacked Ray. He was just being polite. Why are you so ready to fight with someone on this board? Why don't you use some of that energy and go after oil companies? It is very discouraging to anyone trying to help.
As for using some of that energy to go after oil companies, see my sig. As to being ready to fight someone on the board, if I think an action will be damaging to EVs, of course I will resist it.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
What we're against is the indiscriminate installation of QCs along all 47k+ miles of the Interstate system which the petition calls for, as opposed to the targeted installation of QCs around appropriate metropolitan areas on freeways, highways and main roads for limited range extension which we're all for.
Fair enough (although I didn't realize you talked for the whole board) but why not make your own petition instead of just attacking someone else's who is trying to help? Do keep in mind that there are people who live in smaller towns that want and deserve EV's just as much as you.
Clearly, I wasn't trying to speak for the whole board, just many of us who are against the idea of this petition, as is clear from the start of the very next sentence you quote below. As to people who live in small towns 'deserving EVs', none of us 'deserve' them, and as my sig states I don't have one, because none of them meet my performance and financial requirements yet. I need a car for out of town trips only; everything else I do by walk/bike/transit.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
Again, make your own petition instead of just attacking others. Keep in mind that every day that we don't do something is another day we are stuck on oil which has very real cost in dollars and in blood. I personally would rather waste some dollars on too many chargers than not do anything. Time is of the essence.
I have no intention of making any such petition, because (as should be obvious) there is absolutely zero chance of any such program being enacted in the current congress. Just as there was zero chance of President Obama's last energy budget proposal, which called for changing the federal tax credit into a rebate and boosting it to $10k, being passed; it was a meaningless gesture to his political base, costing him absolutely nothing.

I have better things to do than sign or originate petitions which have no hope of being implemented (unlike, say the one for Tesla operating without dealerships, which can influence politicians at the state level even if nothing happens at the federal level), especially when they are so poorly conceived that they will just provide negative talking points for the anti-EV crowd for the next year or two without providing any benefit to EVs. Now, petitions or lobbying of California state and local governments is a different matter, because they are normally supportive or at least neutral towards EVs, and that's where I put my efforts at the moment. Should the situation in the national government change in 2015 or subsequently, I will happily redirect some of my efforts that way.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
In short, we have zero confidence that the federal government won't continue to waste oodles of cash through waste, fraud and abuse by their contractors, while ignoring the needs of the users.
Are you also railing against home and business EVSE tax credits?
Railing against them, no. I do believe that it's time for many of them to end, though. In the '80s I saw what happened to the solar water heating industry in California, which was totally dependent on government subsidies early on, and which had far too many companies that only existed because of them; many of them declared bankruptcy the day the subsidies expired. I don't want to see us repeat the same mistakes with EVSEs (or EVs, for that matter). Ecotality is likely to prove such a company; have a read of this topic, which is just the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=182350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With EVSE prices having dropped considerably in the past two years, partly thanks to members of this board like Phil ("Ingineer") who developed the EVSEupgrade, I can see little justification for continuing subsidies for single-family home installations. Credits for retrofitting multi-unit dwellings, public garages, workplaces and the like with L1/L2 should probably continue for a couple more years yet before phasing out, and where not already implemented it makes sense to lobby to change state or local codes to require new construction to be fitted 'for if not with'. DC, it's probably time to start phasing the subsidies out. I think Tesla has demonstrated a workable business model to finance them, and it's time for other companies to try a similar approach with CHAdeMO/CCS, or else buy a license from Tesla to use Superchargers. Edit: It appears that someone has already begun doing so in Canada, albeit using 80A AC J1772 instead of DC. Far more affordable, albeit too slow for longer road trips. But might be okay for single en route charge trips.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
We all know places where QCs are vital to provide the range extensions that we know to be valuable given the current state of the art (chant with me: Gilroy! GILROY! GILROY!), but despite many of us lobbying the appropriate entities for as much as two years, such lobbying typically has no effect. Bay Area residents still can't get to Monterey using a (single) QC; Sacramento residents still can't get to Lake Tahoe with 1.5 to 2. Other areas with similar obvious weekend destinations remain unserved by QCs. Meanwhile, single, redundant QCs continue to be put in in areas that are already well-served, wasting their potential.
Your focus is wrong. We need thousands of more chargers around the country. You should not be upset that one place has too many. You should be happy for them and continue lobbying for your own.
You're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. But why do you think that so many members of this board, many with far more experience of the early stages of EV and EVSE introduction than you appear to have, are unwilling to sign this petition? Is it due to selfishness on their part, i.e. they've got theirs and the hell with everyone else? Or is it more likely that based on their experience they see this petition as a bad idea, one that is more likely to hurt than help the adoption of EVs?

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
And then we have this well-meaning but entirely wrong-headed petition that would have the federal government paying to install (undoubtedly single) QCs every 50 miles (too far, in many cases) along interstates
Actually the petition doesn't say who should pay. It definitely does not say it should be single QCs. Why do you assume that? Why do you read a petition from someone trying to help in the most negative way possible? Also, when you say 50 miles is too far, you are assuming that chargers will be installed tomorrow and that the Leaf can't drive that far. It is likely that the range of cars will increase by some amount before construction would begin on the first charger.
Excuse me, but who else is going to pay for all these chargers, when the private sector has with very few exceptions been unwilling to pay for them themselves, even in areas with far more traffic than will be the case if these things are installed on rural interstates?

As for them being single QCs, well, if the federal government and the various companies that have been installing them under federal contract have been willing to ignore our feedback up till now, what makes you think that they'll suddenly start listening to us? All the contractors care about is putting the systems in and collecting their government money, not building a system that will be of maximum utility. Only Tesla is doing that, and it's not an accident that they're not doing it as part of a government contract.

As to 50 miles range being too far, sure, BEV ranges will increase, but you have to design for the lowest common denominator which will include a variety of cars operating with various loads, in various conditions, and with degraded batteries. We're against putting this system in NOW because almost all the BEVs extant won't be able to use it for much of the time. Once large numbers of BEVs can go 100 miles at the freeway speed limit with a battery at the end of its life, while fully loaded and with the heater/defroster or A/C, lights and wipers all on max in any temp, and once the QC standards war is settled, THAT will be the time when putting QCs every 50 miles along interstates will make financial sense. Not before, because we risk stranding far too much capital (see the remaining small and large paddle inductive chargers from the last time BEVs were the 'coming thing'). Many of us would agree to putting some QCs on rural interstates once a significant quantity of BEVs could drive for one hour at freeway speeds in the above conditions, and we're a long way from that yet. The only current BEVs that can possibly be practical in such areas now are built by the one company that's installing their own dedicated QC network.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
Someone has an idea, creates a petition, writes on this board for help and you call his idea stupid while offering no action of your own. Kind of shameful in my book. Should't we all be working together?
I call it stupid because that's exactly how I perceive it. How about I start a petition saying that the federal government should buy anyone who wants one a Porsche 918 PHEV? At $845k each (plus tax, license etc.) it may seem a bit steep to some, but hey, if it means we'll increment the number of PEVs by just a couple of hundred, let's do it - the technology will undoubtedly improve, even though it will probably take 50 years before that kind of performance is affordable by the average person. If someone calls such a petition stupid, well, I think that's shameful. Shouldn't we all be working together? Who cares if this will drive the blogosphere into a froth, not to mention the more legitimate media who will also be pointing out the financial irresponsibility of this, in a time when the government's in the red and operating under a sequester - after all, it's not as if any of them have any effect on public perceptions. A billion wasted here or there, who's to notice?

fastcharge said:
Everyone knows the limits of EV's today but I think Tesla has proven that the technology can do better if we demand it from Nissan, GM and others. By the time this network was put in, range is likely to increase but that is still not the point. The petition, as the author states, is about extending city driving, not long distance trips.
Pity that's not how the petition's worded, then, don't you think? As I've said, a better written petition would garner far more support. As it is, not even the majority of people here who are most supportive of EVs (which they've proved by voting with their wallets), are willing to sign it.

fastcharge said:
GRA said:
most likely to retain that information that is shouted the loudest, i.e. that from the anti-EV blogosphere, this poorly thought-out petition just provides abundant ammo for the anti-EV crowd.
Read your own post, you have become the "Anti-EV crowd." I am sure you have put in more than your fair share of energy fighting for chargers and other things to help the movement but I think you have lost your way at least temporarily. Reach out and help instead of try to tear people and/or ideas down. If we are going to convince a real % of the country to get of gasoline, we can't do it by fighting each other.
Spare me the Rodney King, please. I'll support pro-EV efforts that make sense, not meaningless petitions designed to make us feel good about ourselves (especially if the likely result of them is to damage EVs). I don't wear plastic 'cause' wristbands either. And that's the last thing I have to say about this mis-guided petition. Sign, don't sign, it's still a mostly free country (obligatory nod to the NSA).

Thanks Ryan for starting the petition. I agree with your below statement 100% and I have signed the petition but I am the minority here, it looks like there are only 1 out of 10 Leaf owners that agree with you and me. For some reason the other 9 think the country does not have the funds to spend or this will ruin the further development of EVs.

I have the same problem as you; I have two clients that are 150 miles round trip from my house. I am keeping my ICE car just for those two clients. If there were QC's on the Garden State Parkway every 50 miles I could sell off the ICE car and save 2 grand a year.

I have no intention to drive to Florida or Tennessee. I live in NJ, That would be stupid. I just want to extend my range to the entire state I live in. (I don't live and work in San Francisco, I live in NJ, We travel on highways to get to work, My Daily commute is 52 miles, Not the 29 miles that Nissan claims.)

The US Government spends Billions of dollars on other countries to make sure we can buy Oil. I'm pretty sure they can take a billion or two and set up a QC infrastructure across the United States.

Plus this will produce more jobs for American Citizens.

Sal

evguy5 said:
I’ve heard it said that we should just wait for the cars to get better range and then start installing the quick charger infrastructure. This is a classic chicken or the egg problem. The infrastructure allows electric cars to go further, which in turn gets people to purchase the cars. The increased demand allows the companies to have to greater resources to spend on further developing the electric vehicles.

Ryan
@evguy4

palmermd said:
hyperlexis said:
So you will, of course, then be writing a check back to the taxpayers of the United States and your state, who gave you tens of thousands of dollars to buy an EV and L2 charger in your private home?

You know, your own private, taxpayer-funded car and fueling network, for you and you alone, of course.

Cause you deserve welfare for your own private, taxpayer-funded car and fuel station, just for being you!

Are you saying that because I vote no on something and then it passes anyway, that I do not have the opportunity to get the benefit of the bill/law? All I said was that I vote no on the Government spending money building a network of charge stations. If they build it of course I'll use it, but I think that this network of charge stations will be built with or without the Government help. I believe it will get built better and for less money if a business builds it rather than the government. Look at Tesla Supercharger network for example. Somebody will figure out how to do it for ChaDeMo or SAE-DC and it will get done eventually.

No not at all.

I'm saying you're a self-centered hypocrite who would gladly take handouts from taxpayers for yourself and yourself alone, but for people needing L3 public charging stations, including those actually wanting to travel farther than the neighborhood store, well if the government wants to fund interstate chargers for those folks, well then those Leaf drivers can just go pound sand right? So much for the comraderie of EV drivers. Typical I've got mine mindset.

The government was fine and good enough to give you, essentially, most of your car, plus the charger in your garage. Eating from that trough is ok, because it benefits you directly. But the government, gasp, shouldn't dare build what, around a thousand L3s on its national interstates, because that would just be 'wasteful' and private industry would do it better? Do you know how much we spend in Afghanistan each day? So don't complain to me about a proportionally miniscule cost for a national interstate charger network that would benefit everyone with cleaner air.

And private industry will do it better? Well here's some news. No, they wont. It's not profitable, and never will be profitable, and that's why private companies will only consider doing it in certain geographic areas -- as they have been. But no where else.

Do you know why there is electricity and telephone service out in the middle of rural areas and out in sparsely populate states? Because the federal government forces the utilities to do so, and even imposes special taxes to fund it. Why? Because it's completely unprofitable for private electricity and telephone companies to even bother doing so for a handful of people living out in the styx. Same reason there is airline service to those areas -- the federal government forces it. Otherwise those people would be completely on their own.

The Tesla is a fantastic car and the supercharger network is a great - for them- -- but the S is a niche, very limited production vehicle, with an enormous battery. So only a handful of 'superchargers' would be needed to cover the country.

But with a cheaper, mass market car with a tiny battery like the Leaf, if you want a viable EV industry, not just a few playtoys for the rich with 200 mile range, you either: 1.) magically increase the mass-market car's battery size and range, yet still somehow lower the cost to affordable levels; or 2.) You accept mass-market EVs will have smaller, cheaper batteries and lower range, but build a bigger network of L3 chargers to accommodate the limitation.

Otherwise EVs will simply remain a niche market product with very limited range, thus turning off a huge number of potential buyers, who don't want to have to insure and garage two different cars.

If Nissan can sell a 200 mile Leaf for the same cost as an unsubsidized Prius C, then great. You could get by with a few hundred, Tesla-like L3 charger network. Otherwise you will simply need to build a much more extensive network. You just can't have both.

But you don't care cause you have your private garage charger courtesy of the US taxpayers.

RegGuheert said:
fastcharge said:

the problem with that is too many vested interests against this idea. Oil, Gas, Coal, etc. they have the money to sway public opinion and line politicians pockets without approaching the bottom of the "chump change" drawer of the receptionist's desk.

this only buys them time because all good ideas will likely flourish eventually. but we really dont have the time. the basic infrastructure in the ground can change protocols quite easily. electrons dont give a rat's ass if its SAE or chademo

davewill said:
hyperlexis said:
I'm saying you're a self-centered hypocrite who ...
OK, I don't care who you are or what you advocate for. We don't need this kind of name calling. Off to the foe bin with you.

This is true -- while direct, it was not a very refined comment in that respect and I apologize.

I don't think coal interests are against QC's. Coal loves EVs - look at the West Virginia EV credit. Now gone but was the most generous in the nation from one of the poorest states in the nation. Who lobbied for that I wonder.

Amazing how installing QCs could become a polarizing issue.

There are widely varying ideas of what government should do and there will always be vast disagreement about that. Even if we can agree on some things, there will never be agreement on that part of it.

Back