White House petition for more chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Online petitions are nice, but meaningless. In order to move forward and go mainstream, EV's have got to stop relying on Uncle Sugar. There has to be a business case for somebody - auto manufacturers, coffee shop owners, parking garage operators - to install infrastructure. And they cannot compete with tax subsidized "free" stations, few though they might be. Perhaps you could team up with other EV drivers in your area to pitch in and fundraise to get an L2 charger put in. I know of at least one Tesla group trying to do that here in WA state.

hyperlexis said:
Cluttered up with stations? OMG is this a joke. Like we are cluttered up with light poles and public mailboxes?

+1 to this and most of what else you said, hl. I think fire hydrants are getting a bit numerous and unsightly as well, don't you? Not to mention any number of other things, let alone gas stations. I almost am ROFLMAO, that comment is so ridiculous.

Nevertheless, I do think it's a bit early for this petition, partly because we need to let the standards war come to a resolution first.

Umm.. maybe because hydrants are part of our fire/life & safety infrastructure... You of all people being in SF should appreciate that :roll:

Charging stations are not, and a quick look on PS shows how well we're doing.. we don't need to stack more every 50 on the hwy. Make the vehicles more efficient for long range and it's a done deal.

Tesla has the right idea and is WINNING currently..

I mean COME ON.. I went on a 65 mile trip this weekend (130rt) and there's 195 CHARGING STATIONS ALONG THE FREAKING WAY!!! within a 4mi radius of the freeway... AND NO CHAdeMO... I don't have it...

I have a Brusa :D

Oh oh. Now you are going to piss him off again! :lol:

JasonA said:
Umm.. maybe because hydrants are part of our fire/life & safety infrastructure... You of all people being in SF should appreciate that :roll:
Charging stations are not, and a quick look on PS shows how well we're doing.. we don't need to stack more every 50 on the hwy. Make the vehicles more efficient for long range and it's a done deal.

Newporttom said:
Won't sign. Leaf is not a highway vehicle. Stopping to charge every 50 miles is crazy. Put those same chargers strategically placed in all the majors cities makes the Leaf a totally viable city vehicle.

so a charger 20 miles from your house is out of the question because you dont plan to drive to another state?

that is a bit shortsighted dont you think? I have one 30 miles from my house that is PERECTLY positioned for me and I have never used my LEAF for a roadtrip longer than 140 miles.

For anyone who uses their LEAF as a commuter only and never needs to charge publicly then that is great but for me? my life is much less predictable and my desire to see things 30-50 miles away in my LEAF is very great. This "oasis" is one that is VERY much appreciated.

Lasareath said:
I'm sorry in advance and if you hate me after saying, well I don't give a ****.. All the people on this post that say they won't sign are idiots.

agree with you 100%.... but your tact needs a bit of work.

its interesting that we now need the batteries with longer ranges first before we will consider building a network to support them.

this seems to be a HUGE turnaround in ideology when we were pining for our first few quick charge stations...

If it is a destination that you would WANT to spend a few hours at for the sake of the destination itself, that is fine. Otherwise, QC is the only thing that makes much sense to me, and not for extended road trips regardless, which is not the Leaf's forte...

DaveinOlyWA said:
For anyone who uses their LEAF as a commuter only and never needs to charge publicly then that is great but for me? my life is much less predictable and my desire to see things 30-50 miles away in my LEAF is very great. This "oasis" is one that is VERY much appreciated.

TomT said:
If it is a destination that you would WANT to spend a few hours at for the sake of the destination itself, that is fine. Otherwise, QC is the only thing that makes much sense to me, and not for extended road trips regardless, which is not the Leaf's forte...

DaveinOlyWA said:

right! and QC's should be spaced 10 miles apart ideally and networked to allow drivers to determine if the QC is currently being used. The West Coast Green Highway Project has them 20-30 miles apart which is "barely" acceptable

Well the closest one to my house is 103 miles away. I don't think I can make it!, every 20 miles would be wonderful. Then I can get rid of my ICE car!

Here's where it's located: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=travel+plaza+carneys+point+NJ&fb=1&gl=us&hq=travel+plaza&hnear=0x89c71df0867b4435:0xa3ee3892fb7ce346,Carneys+Point+Township,+NJ&cid=0,0,4561571390203801453&ei=Y9r_UbeyGJbK4APQ_4DYAg&ved=0CJYBEPwSMAs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put a damn CHAdeMO at every 7-11 and liquor store!!! (next to the RedBox)

There!! happy people?? :roll:

You guys and your RA... worse then my wife..

Lasareath said:
Well the closest one to my house is 103 miles away. I don't think I can make it!, every 20 miles would be wonderful. Then I can get rid of my ICE car!

Here's where it's located: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=travel+plaza+carneys+point+NJ&fb=1&gl=us&hq=travel+plaza&hnear=0x89c71df0867b4435:0xa3ee3892fb7ce346,Carneys+Point+Township,+NJ&cid=0,0,4561571390203801453&ei=Y9r_UbeyGJbK4APQ_4DYAg&ved=0CJYBEPwSMAs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is not your situation the entire reason for this petition? equal access!

I would think so Yes.

I posted the link on the Nissan Leaf Facebook page today. Maybe We'll get more signatures.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Lasareath said:

is not your situation the entire reason for this petition? equal access!

signed. The petition just gets people thinking about an EV infrastructure and MAYBE gets the attention of the White House.

Its a basic role of the government to develop transportation infrastructure to encourage commerce. This is a new step in the evolution of transport infrastructure: Rail, highways, EV network.

I'm not sure why, but I have been watching this thread silently, and now I can no longer resist becoming one of Lasareath's "idiots".

I love my LEAF. My 2011 and now 2013 are my favorite cars in all my 60 years of driving. But ...

The LEAF top speed is 40 mph for distance travel.

That's a scientific fact, and there is no way around it without a new and better battery. This is not a touring car, and even if you spend a Bazillion dollars putting in QC stations every 100 yards on every road in the nation, you still will be limited to an effective speed of about 40 mph for long trips.

I can't believe that even 1% of the nation's population would find such a restriction reasonable. So it is not reasonable that the general public can be sold on accepting the LEAF as a touring car. But that is exactly what we would be trying to sell them on by making a huge investment in inter-city QC stations.

No, I haven't signed the petition, and I have no intention of doing so. The nation has far more important uses for its money.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I'm not sure why, but I have been watching this thread silently, and now I can no longer resist becoming one of Lasareath's "idiots".

I love my LEAF. My 2011 and now 2013 are my favorite cars in all my 60 years of driving. But ...

That's a scientific fact, and there is no way around it without a new and better battery. This is not a touring car, and even if you spend a Bazillion dollars putting in QC stations every 100 yards on every road in the nation, you still will be limited to an effective speed of about 40 mph for long trips.

I can't believe that even 1% of the nation's population would find such a restriction reasonable. So it is not reasonable that the general public can be sold on accepting the LEAF as a touring car. But that is exactly what we would be trying to sell them on by making a huge investment in inter-city QC stations.

No, I haven't signed the petition, and I have no intention of doing so. The nation has far more important uses for its money.

Ray
+1. I can't imagine anything more idiotic than having the government installing QCs every x number of miles on I-80 from Reno to Wendover across Nevada, given the current limited ranges of affordable BEVs. None of the current affordable BEVs can even do an hour at the freeway speed limit in any state under ideal conditions, with an 80% QC and recharging at LBW or equivalent. Let's concentrate for now on putting them in where both the population and the distances make them reasonable for travel within or between metropolitan areas or city pairs. E.G., by all means put them along I-17/I-10 to allow travel between Flagstaff, Phoenix and Tucson, as well as recreational areas within range of a single QC around each of these metro areas (Grand Canyon from Flagstaff), but don't put them along I-90 from Spokane to Butte. Let Tesla cover that, as they have the only BEV with the necessary (barely) range to make it worthwhile.

Much as I want to see L3 charge stations in a lot of locations, we are currently in the same situation with L3 charge stations that we were in in the late '90's / early '00's with L2. There are *AT LEAST* 3 standards for Quick Charge right now! (Back then at L2 it was Inductive [small and large paddle] vs. Conductive [Avcon + a few other proprietary]. Thank God *THAT* VHS vs. Betamax battle was settled before the current round of EVs hit the market!!!)

1) CHAdeMO - Nissan & Mitsubishi
2) Tesla Supercharger - Tesla Model S only
3) SAE - currently vaporware - slated to appear on Chevy Spark EV in the Fall and the BMW i3 shortly after that.

Then there is the projected $20 / charge fee. No thank you!

I love my Leaf for local driving, but if I'm going more than 100 miles in a day I'll take another car (and it's been a few months since I've done that!). I have to agree that a Leaf isn't a long distance vehicle. If you want a long distance EV, get yourself a Tesla Model S (or an electrified train on the East Coast ;-) ).

For the record: I once took my NiMH EV1 from Pasadena to Sacramento and back (that didn't have a Quick Charge option - though it did charge at 6.6 kW on 240 power) so I know that long distance driving in an EV is possible. It took 3 days going up and 3 days coming back. Not exactly an efficient use of time, but that trip was about the journey, not the destination. ;-)

planet4ever said:

That's a scientific fact, and there is no way around it without a new and better battery.
What do you consider "distance" travel? I posted this in the CANbus thread.. but I went down to GregH's this last weekend.. (130 RT miles)...

coming back, uphill from Irvine to Sylmar I still had 26% pack left..and I DO NOT HAVE CHAdeMO..

70-75 frw miles is doable in a Leaf... stop for 20min.. charge (DCQC).. and you're off. Tony has done enough range tests on various LEAFs at 100 km/h GPS ground speed (which is 64-65 mph speedometer speed) to pretty easily confirm that a new LEAF driven at 65 mph indicated on the freeway will do 80+ miles from 100% to turtle. BTW - we aren't talking about "LAB" conditions here. We are talking about real-world range.

b0488f4f451218bbb6707f1d25f3dd34.jpg

Again, just bad driving habbits and RA on this forum and thread

Back