White House Petition for Direct Tesla Sales - All States

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brg2290

As the holder of a 2012 Leaf 24 month lease, a fan of EV's in general, and a follower of what Elon Musk and Tesla are doing, I signed the petition mentioned in the title. 100,000 signatures are necessary before the White House will

Linked here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ell-directly-consumers-all-50-states/bFN7NHQR

and worded thus: "We petition the obama administration to allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consumers in all 50 states.
States should not be allowed to prevent Tesla Motors from selling cars directly to customers. The state legislators are trying to unfairly protect automobile dealers in their states from competition. Tesla is providing competition, which is good for consumers."

I thought I'd post it here, as I recognize the Leaf community as an active one in support of the Leaf in particular and larger BEV issues in general. A compelling argument for supporting the petition, and further discussion, can be found here on the Tesla Motors Club website:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-Requesting-Direct-Tesla-Sales-in-All-States

You have to create an account before you can sign, but it's not a lengthy or onerous process. If 100,000 signatures are achieved by July 5, I believe the White House issues an official response, which may be valuable in guiding lawmakers positions on the subject.

BTW, love my Leaf!
Gary

Maybe its because I ‘like’ too many EV related people and organizations on Facebook; maybe its because I frequent EV forums and news websites…. But I am fed up with this Tesla direct to consumers petition /movement. To the point where I am annoyed by it and probably won’t sign it.

Besides, what’s so hard about ‘playing by the rules’ or ‘playing ball’ for a few years until they have a more established presence in the in the market? How many Model S’s are out there? How many have been made? Less than 100k I assume. That is very few units to go change a bunch of state laws and petition the federal government over….

It is very hard for a middle class American like myself to be empathetic to Tesla’s situation because they don’t make anything I can afford; so why should I care? Why should I sign?

If this whole thing is for the consumer then shouldn’t it be about selling cars that a majority of consumers can actually afford? Wouldn’t this whole campaign make more sense when the ‘affordable’ Tesla ‘Gen 3’ comes out and production volumes are greater - affecting more consumers?

What about getting other auto makers to become part of this - wouldnt they and ICE consumers also benifit from selling cars direct?

Ok, end rant. I have nothing against Tesla... great cars... great technology... they got me interested in EV's and now I have a Leaf. I just dont get why they refuse to 'fit in' on this level.

CMYK4Life said:
Maybe its because I ‘like’ too many EV related people and organizations on Facebook; maybe its because I frequent EV forums and news websites…. But I am fed up with this Tesla direct to consumers petition /movement. To the point where I am annoyed by it and probably won’t sign it.

Besides, what’s so hard about ‘playing by the rules’ or ‘playing ball’ for a few years until they have a more established presence in the in the market? How many Model S’s are out there? How many have been made? Less than 100k I assume. That is very few units to go change a bunch of state laws and petition the federal government over….

It is very hard for a middle class American like myself to be empathetic to Tesla’s situation because they don’t make anything I can afford; so why should I care? Why should I sign?

If this whole thing is for the consumer then shouldn’t it be about selling cars that a majority of consumers can actually afford? Wouldn’t this whole campaign make more sense when the ‘affordable’ Tesla ‘Gen 3’ comes out and production volumes are greater - affecting more consumers?

What about getting other auto makers to become part of this - wouldnt they and ICE consumers also benifit from selling cars direct?

Ok, end rant. I have nothing against Tesla... great cars... great technology... they got me interested in EV's and now I have a Leaf. I just dont get why they refuse to 'fit in' on this level.

Perhaps Amazon should have first be made to have a store before they were able to sell on the internet? If Tesla has a new and possibly better model for selling why should they be forced from selling direct? No reason all cars can't be sold this way and you should also care because this reduces costs and selling the expensive cars now allows them to sell affordable cars later, this was part of their model. Why should we dictate how products are sold? Making auto makers directly tied to product sales wil make them more accountable vs using dealers as shields, it also puts them closer to consumer needs. Everyone should be able to sell direct, it happens with all types of goods. Dealers are just trying to be insulated from competition, a bit of a joke. Tesla should be allowed to sell their products any way they choose and so should any auto maker and this is only an example of more lobbying type BS and unfair competition.

CMYK4Life said:
Looks like you haven't been paying attention.

The big point is - Tesla is not trying to change the rules. It is the auto dealer mafia that is changing the rules purely to make sure Tesla can't sell directly.

I wonder if a proposition can be put to vote in any state that nullifies all these anti-free market laws. I'm sure if a prop gets to the election it will overwhelmingly.

Legislatures are a bit more difficult since they mostly listen to their lobbyists rather than what people might support if it was a well known issue.

CMYK4Life said:
...It is very hard for a middle class American like myself to be empathetic to Tesla’s situation because they don’t make anything I can afford; so why should I care? Why should I sign?

NADA would like to prevent Tesla from ever getting to that point. That's one reason you should sign.

All cars could be more affordable if there were no trade barriers.

Federal government can nudge states or at least public opinion to help change laws.

One example of federal policy affecting EV is the $7,500 tax credit which I would love to see it applicable at time of purchase as rebate available to anyone instead of someone with the tax liability. Same with the 30% energy efficiency credit / charger install.

I'm very happy this proposal reached the 100,000 threshold and hope it creates some noise and eventual action from our CEO.

Anyway - today I saw the best analysis on TESLA on why it is relevant. Worth a reading:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1532842-tesla-motors-full-analysis-2-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CMYK4Life said:
Wouldn’t this whole campaign make more sense when the ‘affordable’ Tesla ‘Gen 3’ comes out and production volumes are greater - affecting more consumers?
Uh, hello... do you know how long it can take to change these kinds of laws? If the campaign waited until the Gen 3 comes out, it would take three more years to change things, if they can be changed at all. So arguably, this petition (not initiated by Tesla, btw) is aimed at helping middle class Americans and more consumers be able to buy their much more affordable model... three years from today.

It'll be interesting to see how much, if anything at all, changes in that time. I suspect that the White House will offer a tepid non-reply, but that overall the press about the petition passing will benefit Tesla, even if immeasurably.

davewill said:
I see no reason for the federal government to get involved. Tesla has shown that they can take care of themselves.
Is that purely some ideological statement ?

Personally I see no reason why any government should be involved. I don't have this concept of federal is bad, state is good.

But, since the auto dealer mafia has bought out most of the state legislatures, I think the federal govt definitely needs to get involved.

ps : If feds were not involved we would still have slavery.

evnow said:
...But, since the auto dealer mafia has bought out most of the state legislatures, I think the federal govt definitely needs to get involved.

Really? You're going to draw organized crime and slavery parallels?

Anyway, it's not ideological, just practical. The states have traditionally been in charge of this area, and we can't move everything into federal law...which is the only way the federal government could change this, by invalidating state and local laws about car dealerships. I think Tesla is handling things fine. If a couple of states want to lock them out, I suspect that Tesla will do just fine without them...and that some of those states' residents will get tired of not being able to buy a Tesla without turning backflips.

I am not convinced that this will reduce the price I pay for a car.

If they cut dealers out and sell to me direct how will I know I saved money? Are any auto makers committing to a savings % or dollar amount?

Will my Leaf now only cost $180 per month instead of $199 if it buy online?

I just dont buy it.

CMYK4Life said:
...If they cut dealers out and sell to me direct how will I know I saved money? Are any auto makers committing to a savings % or dollar amount?...

You're right. Middlemen usually make transactions less expensive. :roll:

davewill said:
Really? You're going to draw organized crime and slavery parallels?
Parallels ? I'm obviously not comparing the problems - I was showing you an example of why Feds need to get involved sometimes.

Yes, the dealers are behaving like the mafia. They told Musk they'd "allow" Tesla to sell if certain conditions were satisfied. Really ? Who exactly are they to "allow" or "disallow" ?! Only the mob talks like that.

Anyway, it's not ideological, just practical. The states have traditionally been in charge of this area, and we can't move everything into federal law...which is the only way the federal government could change this, by invalidating state and local laws about car dealerships.
IMNAL. There has been some analysis on this saying what states are trying to do is breaking the commerce clause. I'll leave it to them to see what is practical.

I think Tesla is handling things fine. If a couple of states want to lock them out, I suspect that Tesla will do just fine without them...and that some of those states' residents will get tired of not being able to buy a Tesla without turning backflips.
No - Tesla is not doing fine. The Auto dealer Mafia, is just getting started. They have already prevented Tesla from doing what is needed in Texas. In NY they have just started - so, obviously they can greatly affect Tesla in large states that are prime target market for Tesla.

Let's see (I'm probably wrong about this), Tesla did not attempt to align their charging system with any other electric car out there so they really could care less about me, but now I'm important to them so I can sign this petition?

springbank said:
Let's see (I'm probably wrong about this), Tesla did not attempt to align their charging system with any other electric car out there so they really could care less about me, but now I'm important to them so I can sign this petition?
The way I look at it - raising tide lifts all boats. Well doing of Tesla is important for the EV movement.

Ofcourse, I'm also disgusted by the whole "lobbocracy" we have - where powerful monied interests gets laws written to benefit them at the expense of rest of the society.

Nubo said:
CMYK4Life said:
...If they cut dealers out and sell to me direct how will I know I saved money? Are any auto makers committing to a savings % or dollar amount?...

You're right. Middlemen usually make transactions less expensive. :roll:

Just because you cut out a middle man does not always directly translate to lower prices for the consumer.

At my company we cut out the middle men in our workflows and become more efficient each year. As a result our costs to make the same product get lower. We RARELY pass the cost savings onto our customers. In fact, prices went up over the last few years.

What makes everyone think that any business will pass on 100%, or even a fraction of the cost savings, to consumers each time its costs to produce and sell the product are reduced? Does your lawn cutting service charge you less when fuel prices go down or when they get a good deal on a new piece of equipment that allows them to cut grass faster? Nope...

To me.. Tesla does not want to play ball because that means they have to produce thousands of cars to push out to dealers that may not be sold right away. Tesla needs the money from each car it produces ASAP to pay its bills and make the next car; they cant afford to have money tied up in inventory.

evnow said:
davewill said:
I see no reason for the federal government to get involved. Tesla has shown that they can take care of themselves.
Is that purely some ideological statement ?

Personally I see no reason why any government should be involved. I don't have this concept of federal is bad, state is good.

But, since the auto dealer mafia has bought out most of the state legislatures, I think the federal govt definitely needs to get involved.

+1---right on

Back