which modded EVSE adapters do you use the most?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luft

I had my Nissan EVSE upgraded. Now I'm curious. Which plug adapters are most useful? If I make a road trip what type of plug am I most likely to find at RV parks and other sources of power?

See this post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1450&start=18

What you will find at an RV park is "TT-30" everywhere, but that is a 120v connection, and NEMA 6-50 many places, which is 240v. RV stores, and some campground stores, will sell you for a few dollars a single piece adapter which is a combined TT-30 plug and NEMA 5-15 (i.e. "standard" 120v) receptacle.

Ray

For 240V at an RV park, I would think that the most popular is what they call "50 amp service", which is delivered with a 14-50. I got a Camco 50 amp RV plug and removed the neutral blade when I made an adapter. Now it fits both 14-50 and 14-30 sockets. In homes, you're likely to see either 14-30 or 10-30 dryer outlets, so a 10-30 adapter might also be useful. So far as other places, it really depends on what application the 240 volt outlet was installed for... Probably 6-20, 6-30 and 6-50 are popular for various applications, as well as the locking versions L6-20 (no adapter needed) and L6-30. I've seen L14-20 and L14-30 used on some portable generators.

I use L6-20R to 6-15P frequently at Mom's house. Plugs into the central vacuum 240v outlet. I have been using L6-20R to 10-30P to plug in at a rental house where I have been doing some remodel work. I also use a 100' L6-20 extention cord as the dryer outlet is way on the other side of the house. Rev 1, 12a only.

evseadapters.com (johnr on the forums here) has the best prices I've seen on the most common adapters. Cheap enough that it's worth paying him to build them for you if you were considering building them yourself. Mine should be here soon. :)

Back