Which Level 2 EVSE should I get??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

Really simple question -- which level 2 EVSE should I get. Is ecoTotality still offering free chargers? I live in Connecticut. If not I am looking for something cheap. What is the story with "blink"??

Saleem

Don't get a charger at all. Put in a 240v L6-20 socket and get and evse upgrade - http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - very inexpensive and very portable.

ksnogas2112 said:
And if the EVSE upgrade isn't the right path for you, I really like the Schneider EVSE I have. The delay timer is awesome for my use.

Yes

The EVlink is the nicest charger for the money IMO

saleem145 said:
Hello,

Really simple question -- which level 2 EVSE should I get. Is ecoTotality still offering free chargers? I live in Connecticut. If not I am looking for something cheap. What is the story with "blink"??

Saleem

If you're ok with something portable, the EVSEUpgrade is fine. If you want convenience, though, something hard-wired might be preferable. If you know someone who has a Volt, they are able to order 3 of the SPX Voltec units at a discounted $499. If they are willing to let you buy one of those three, this is the cheapest option I know of for hard-wired L2 EVSE. I have had mine for 5 months, no issues.

AFAIK Voltec-SPX still has issues with end timer. I recommend Schneider or Leviton.

GE Wattstation has had issues with LEAF charger in poor conditions that I believe remain unresolved.

Legrand uses minimum size cabling giving the impression it is cheaply made.

Neutral on the rest.

smkettner said:
AFAIK Voltec-SPX still has issues with end timer.

Could you elaborate? I have never had any issues with mine, but maybe I'm not using it the same way. If you could elaborate or point me to more details on this issue, I will try it out.

My SPX EVSE does not have any timer functionality built in, so I presume you're talking about the Leaf's end timer? Or maybe there are other versions?

saleem145 said:
How my does EVLink installation cost??

What is involved? Is it as simple as plugging it into a 240v outlet??

Saleem
Pretty much! You local municipal code might require permits, but they likely only apply to hardwired, and not pluggable units. There are some provisions for the latter, which were discussed earlier, I don't recall the details. But technically, you can plug into a dryer outlet, and are good to go.

GetOffYourGas said:
smkettner said:
AFAIK Voltec-SPX still has issues with end timer.

Could you elaborate? I have never had any issues with mine, but maybe I'm not using it the same way. If you could elaborate or point me to more details on this issue, I will try it out.

My SPX EVSE does not have any timer functionality built in, so I presume you're talking about the Leaf's end timer? Or maybe there are other versions?

use the forum google search for "SPX end timer"

The main thread is very long, read the last couple pages.
AFAIK the issue is yet unresolved.

The issue is if you set the LEAF charging end timer only, charging will not start when requested by the car.

Keep in mind SPX is a stepchild of GM. Not exactly independent like most others.

smkettner said:
use the forum google search for "SPX end timer"

The main thread is very long, read the last couple pages.
AFAIK the issue is yet unresolved.

The issue is if you set the LEAF charging end timer only, charging will not start when requested by the car.

From what I can gather, this is talking about a different SPX charger, not the 15A "Voltec" unit. I used the Leaf's end timer all summer long, and never had an issue with it not charging.

smkettner said:
Keep in mind SPX is a stepchild of GM. Not exactly independent like most others.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's true, SPX works closely with GM and is their preferred supplier for the Volt, but so what? The charger works with the Leaf as well. Independent or not, there are several options of EVs and EVSEs. Some are compatible and some are not. Again, in my experience and from what I've read with a quick search on this forum, the Voltec SPX unit is fully compatible with the 2011/2012 Leaf. I suppose that could change in 2013 (e.g. with the 6.6kW charger), but who knows.

smkettner said:
Sorry I thought Voltec was still restricted to Volt owners. I assumed it was the 32a SPX.

It is, but they are allowed to purchase up to three of them at $499 each. My friend only wanted one, and graciously allowed me to purchase one through him.

The complaint about the SPX units (both the wall mounted and Voltec units) is that their construction is a bit flimsy, for example the Voltec only uses #14 AWG wire..

Here's another vote for Schneider. Bought mine from Lowes, and my electrician installed it in less than a half-hour. Heavy-duty charging cable, very simple and straightforward operation. Lowest-cost 30-amp charger that I could find.

If you're willing to get your hands a little dirty, look into open-evse. You can get all the parts to build your own EVSE for ~$300.

thedak said:
The EVlink is the nicest charger for the money IMO
It's not a charger. It's an EVSE.

The charger's inside your car, under the hump in the back. (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Back