When will used Leaf's be $11k or under?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was January of last year that there was a big price drop which increased sales. So Feb of next year should see a large increase in Leafs to the used car market. 90% of sales are leases. Don't know breakdown of 2 vs 3 year leases, but initially Nissan had much better deal on two year lease.

smkettner said:
Trade in value is already bouncing on $11,000 if it has some miles.
Put a wanted advertisement up for your $11,000 and snag someone that would prefer to sell direct vs trade in.
Try to get one that is on track for battery warranty replacement.

I don't know if the leaf situation is like the volt situation, but so few volts were sold outright to people that there is really no option but to buy through a dealer off lease.

If you can find a way to CHEAPLY buy through manheim (and it better be real cheap since you can't look at the car) then you can find leafs for $9k on up depending on location, time of year, mileage and a bunch of other factors.

Repaired with salvage title:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4593126631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leaf SL for $10,250. I don't know the seller.

pchilds said:
Down 2 bars and salvage, not a deal IMHO.

Yeah, I'm avoiding salvage titles but even then there are cars for sale with 11 or 12 bars that are approaching the $11,000 mark now. The Autotrader website seems to be down or I'd post that one I saw in California that looked like a really good deal.

from autotrader

Used 2011 Nissan Leaf Mileage: 62,501 White, no accidents, heated seats, no capacity warranty left, no pic of how many bars lost. $10,995 ask.

too many to list that have an ask around $11,900.

Should be easy to get one under $9,999 in a month or two when the calendar and all the digital equivalents say 2015 and there are Leafs degrading on the lot. Smart dealers will want to turn those cars faster or ship them somewhere cold. Smart customers in a warm climate would educate the dealers in hot towns if they like them or just laugh at them if they don't, watch the prices drop and make low offers to ones that might take it.

DanCar said:
Does this count?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4776462260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looked at the pics.

Nine bar leaf, so down 3, so some battery degradation?

JimSouCal said:
DanCar said:
Does this count?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4776462260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looked at the pics.

Nine bar leaf, so down 3, so some battery degradation?

And the odometer reads 60,049, so it wouldn't be eligible for a battery replacement under warranty. That owner should have parked the car 1,000 miles ago and let it bake in the summer heat to degrade the battery and lose that 4th bar...

$11K used leafs are a reality in SF Bay area.. typical would be 35Kmiles + 11 bars at about $11,900 from a corner lot for an SL in decent shape.

cars with 40-50K miles should sell in this range.. and any with 10 bars ( if you want one) should be negotiable from this point down.

use carfax to weed out cars from hot places, and use leaf spy to look at battery condition, QC's etc.

I am buying on the bottom of the market.. but there are still 12 bar 2011's out there.. for couple of thousand more.

use NADA used car values ( not Kelly or Edmonds ! ) to find typical values..

There are a flood of lease returns.. and cars being dumped because of ideas about warranties.

A certified warranty is almost NO additional warranty.. and IS NO additional warranty on battery capacity !
don't pay for smoke on the CPO..

How about a $10,000 leaf in SF, CA?

Leaf #4360 (VIN ends in 04360) SL Trim level
less than 45,000 miles
11 bars (1 bar loser)
Clean Title
asking $10,250 at some place called Shift SF

and thousands of miles away here in flyover country I can't find one for sale in my town for less than $14,000.

If you could ship a very nice $10,000 leaf to TN cheap enough you could flip it quickly for a profit.

dhanson865 said:
How about a $10,000 leaf in SF, CA?

Leaf #4360 (VIN ends in 04360) SL Trim level
less than 45,000 miles
11 bars (1 bar loser)
Clean Title
asking $10,250 at some place called Shift SF

and thousands of miles away here in flyover country I can't find one for sale in my town for less than $14,000.

If you could ship a very nice $10,000 leaf to TN cheap enough you could flip it quickly for a profit.

Nice!
Are you sure it's not a 10 bar? (2 bar loser?) Sometimes it's hard to see/count, maybe my eyes are just going!

Think the GOM is anywhere close?
I have a 46 mile commute now with a large hill at the end (The 75/71 cut in the hill in Northern KY). Things have changed a bit from when I originally posted this. I might just wait for a 2013, so that I can at least have heat in the winter and still make it home! I have a volt, and I still get about 41 miles from the battery in the winter (9.8kwh), so hoping even a used leaf would work. I could do without heat. Most of the trip is highway at 55 with traffic that usually slows me down to 25, probably an average of about 40 mph tops. Plus in about two years my round trip will only be about 10 miles. Still have the large hill at the end though.

2011_nissan_leaf-pic-1646976162415487005-1024x768.jpeg

Sold mine to the dealer for 11,500 - a 2-bar loser with realistic range around 60 miles in summer, less in winter.
Consider myself very lucky to have been able to do that. In open market it would be less than 10. Dealer originally offered 9,000, so private party is about 10k.

So the answer to the thread question is: NOW. And they're all over the place, particularly now that 2015's are out.

dhanson865 said:

IF I was willing to sell my 2011 LEAF SL for something in that $10,000 to $14,000 I would jump at the high end of that price range.
Amazingly good compared to what a dealer offered in early 2013 when I considered trading it in for a 2013 LEAF.
Sounds like the areas that had high volumes of LEAFs are a bit saturated with lease returns.
TN has yet to be saturated.
When the state offered $2,500,000 in reabates, up to 1,000 rebates, and less than 650 people accepted the offer;
TN is far from saturated.
Still a limited used LEAF demand though.
So TN used price could still plummet rapidly :!:

As I said, very lucky to get rid of mine... The price slide started quite early actually, I kept my hopes up about battery upgrades, but then the math just did not add up. I could not justify spending 6 grand on a battery that would have given me 15 more miles per charge that takes 8 hours to accomplish.

As far as I'm concerned the 2011-12 Leafs are now local-car duds. Sad but true.

Kia offered to take my '11 for anything I asked for as long as I leased the metal from them. I saw a window of opportunity and jumped right in...

ILETRIC said:
As I said, very lucky to get rid of mine... The price slide started quite early actually, I kept my hopes up about battery upgrades, but then the math just did not add up. I could not justify spending 6 grand on a battery that would have given me 15 more miles per charge that takes 8 hours to accomplish.

As far as I'm concerned the 2011-12 Leafs are now local-car duds. Sad but true.

Kia offered to take my '11 for anything I asked for as long as I leased the metal from them. I saw a window of opportunity and jumped right in...

as long as worst case at 0F I can do 42 miles then the Leaf is more than enough range for me.

Today I drove in at 45F, it's only 16 miles one way, I can L1 charge at work at least part of the time. Theoretically I could get away with even 30 miles range and not freak with a little L1 charging at work but I'd rather not be stuck here if someone ICEs one of the two parking spots at work that I could charge in (several hundred parking spaces and only two of them have 120v plugs).

I'm paying about $0.10 per kwh so the cost per mile would be low (even lower if I charge at work). My only issue is getting one of those beautiful northwestern Leafs to TN on the cheap or at least finding a Leaf in good shape from somewhere other than Arizona.

2011 Leaf SL for $10,999. Only 27554 miles.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/605947684/overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps. I'm not the seller.

Back