When will 2017 LEAF arrive in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdh19

I've been driving a 2014 Nissan LEAF -- which I leased for 2 years -- for the past 23 months.

During that time, I've gone through a divorce and lost the gas car in our garage to my now ex-wife.

I've made do with 84 EPA miles of range (usually I get significantly more than that, except in Denver winters), but I've also run out of charge twice (both times in the winter cold).

The 2016 LEAF has 107 miles of EPA range, but that's still not enough for it to be the lone car in a single-car household like mine (I've got two daughters).

It's my understand the 2017 LEAF will have 150+ miles of range, hopefully even 180. That's enough for me to use it as a lone car in my single-car household.

My 2014 LEAF lease runs out Feb. 22, 2016, and, obviously I need a car right away after the lease runs out.

I'm thinking possibly a 2016 Volt lease, but that appears to be expensive, and I'd have to go from Colorado to California to get one. I don't want a first generation Volt, because the back seat is way too small for my two pre-teen daughters. And I want more pure EV range.

--> Any ideas on how to get me from Feb. 22, 2016 until whenever the 2017 LEAF arrives in Colorado? (Buy a beater used car to drive for a year, possibly negotiate to extend my 2014 LEAF lease by 1 year, etc.)

Thank you for ideas and help!

--Christof, Denver, Colorado

Speculation is that the current 30kWh model will run up to Q2 2017, after which the 45kWh to 60kWh "second generation" LEAF will take over.

Bolt will be out a few months sooner and will probably deliver a better overall value, longer life battery, and better performance. LEAF will likely be slightly larger, slower, have less range, and not be very price competitive.

If you need a car before Spring, there are unfortunately no good nation-wide options. The Volt is probably the best choice right now if you can get one. Shop around, leases aren't that bad (they aren't as bad as 30kWh LEAF).

Short, unhelpful, answer:

NOT SOON ENOUGH

...and I'm guessing the Bolt won't be here in 2016 either. As bad as it sounds, I'd get a cheap gasser to tide you over until the 200 milers arrive.

Why not extend your lease? You are familiar with the car and it's capabilities. You have been making due thus far. Extend it until the other longer range options become available. Bolt at the end of 2016 looks very tempting.

I would probably get a gas beater. That way you aren't tied to a timeline, and can wait until the timing is right for you. For example, you may find GM putting some incentives on the Bolt after the Leaf 2 arrives, but before the tax credit expires (pure speculation on my part).

TomT said:
And will definitely be out in quantity well before the end of 2016... If I was Nissan, I'd be worried!

AndyGT02 said:
Bolt is now confirmed to have a 60 kWh pack.

Source? From what I've read, I'm under the impression that the Bolt will only be available in ZEV states in limited quantity in 2016, hence would require the OP take a trip to CA.

Most RAV4 are very reliable. Most early model issues have been resolved with software updates. NO issues on mine.
Yes outside CA is a bit more difficult for service but it does get done. OP would not be alone by a long shot.
Mostly we just rotate the tires.

Easy to shoot ideas down.... how about make a constructive suggestion?

smkettner said:
Easy to shoot ideas down.... how about make a constructive suggestion?

I made my suggestion above. How about you read the full thread? Buy a gasser until the 200 mile cars are available. I'm guessing in Colorado that will be mid 2017 at the earliest since automakers don't like to sell EVs outside of where they have to.

I traded in my 2012 LEAF last fall on a 2015, and when I saw the great news on the Bolt I was a little miffed that I didn't just wait for it. But then I realized my 2012 wouldn't have the range I needed this winter and the likely hood of getting any other affordable EV in Colorado in 2016 was next to zero so I'll need to go at least two winters. And if I wait for the Tesla Model 3, I'll need to wait three more winters at least ;)

ampitupco said:
Short, unhelpful, answer:

NOT SOON ENOUGH

...and I'm guessing the Bolt won't be here in 2016 either. As bad as it sounds, I'd get a cheap gasser to tide you over until the 200 milers arrive.
.... and why is the 200 mile Bolt refered to as "as bad as it sounds" in your opinion? Doesn't the Bolt ... thousands of dollars less expensive, have active cooling whereas the Leaf doesn't?

hill said:
and why is the 200 mile Bolt refered to as "as bad as it sounds" in your opinion? Doesn't the Bolt ... thousands of dollars less expensive, have active cooling whereas the Leaf doesn't?

I meant "as bad as it sounds that the Bolt will not arrive until mid-2017"... not that the Bolt sounds bad. ;)

Bolt is supposed to be sold the last quarter of 2016. If you can't month to month your lease, buy a 9 bar (10 bar Arizona) 2012 Leaf for under $10,000. Qualify for a new free battery. Wait for what options you like best on future cars. Enjoy Leaf while waiting. Enjoy that you will position yourself well for those future choices once they arrive.

Back