Weak/low drivers side windshield washer squirts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asked my local Nissan guys to fix this when I had my Leaf in for the PDM recall /reprogram.
They adjusted the nozzles in a couple of minutes, now perfect on both sides!

I found a solution to this problem. The plastic nozzles are not adjustable, so you need to raise the edge of the nozzles to aim them higher up the windshield. I did this by using several layers of vinyl tape, but I guess double-sided tape would work just as well. Pry the nozzle out of its mount using a flat screwdriver. Then clean the underside of the nozzle and the surface of the mount. Apply tape to the underside of the nozzle on the side nearest the windshield, slightly less than 1/16" thick in my case, your case may vary. Then push the nozzle back into the mount. Repeat for the other nozzle. The tape cants the nozzles upward, to aim the water higher.

I hope this helps.

That last tip worked great. I shimmed the drivers side (left) nozzle with six stacked pieces of duct tape. Though it just hit the edge of the hood, now water gets up to eye level on the windshield. Amazing 30 second fix without spending a penny. Thanks.

Yup, I re-aimed my washer nozzles too by shimming them. When I first got the Leaf, the driver's side washer nozzle barely worked - turned out to be the washer fluid tube to the nozzle was barely connected and leaking 90% of the fluid

I just picked up a 2011 Leaf a few weeks ago. I am noticing that both washer nozzles are spraying into the back edge of the hood. It also looks like the nozzles for both sides are now discontinued. :(

Thanks to all who posted the shim fix for the weak/low on the windshield spray pattern problem.

I used 6 small rectangles of electrical tape (stacked) for each nozzle placed on the cleaned nozzle base toward the window side of the nozzle base to raise it up and make the spray hit the center to upper part of the windshield. It works great now.

Removing the nozzle without breaking any plastic was my main concern. I used a small flat head screwdriver and pried carefully upward from the top side of each nozzle, in the slots between the nozzle and the cowl. Just one 'pop' on each side did the trick. Thankfully the plastic clip is flexible enough to allow removal and reattachment.

Since this was my wife's daily driver since new, and then my son's car in high school until this past June, and now with my wife again, I missed this defect. Lack of cleaning the car, especially the windshield and wiper blades (pollen, dirt, and dust collectors) in the last few years has resulted in some minor wiper blade scratching of the plastic film on the windshield. It's noticeable if you look for it. Of course, the absence of usable windshield washer spray when turning on the wipers at first rain greatly contributed to the scratching. C’est la vie.

I'm now using Rain X glass water repellent on the Leaf's windshield for added slipperiness. I'll be using it on the Volt and Niro EV to. The OE (Honda) replacement wiper blade inserts on the Leaf are still supple and holding up well after a couple of years and parked mostly outside.

To Nissan. We still enjoy the '15 Leaf and it's a great and underrated local use car, but please test your products better before sale.

Back