Wanting to install public charger(s) in Port Townsend, WA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scowbay

Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula is 50 miles from Seattle (not counting ferry.) It is a weekend getaway destination for many Seattle area folks, but just out of range for Leafs and other "100 mile" EVs. Several groups in town (e.g. the NW Maritime Center) are looking at installing one or two EVSEs, which would make town easily accessible from the Seattle area. However, we're running into roadblocks with the main players (Chargepoint and Blink.) Chargepoint isn't accepting any applications and Blink can't be reached directly and hasn't returned calls.

Any ideas out there for an alternative approach? Needs to be level II and outdoors (e.g. coming from Seattle, an hour or two of charge should more than suffice.)

Scowbay

2012 Silver Leaf

You might look into simply offering a few 240 V outlets. A lot of folks have adapters. the plugs are cheap but I"m not sure if you can get one rated for outside. Very surprised Chargepoint Isn't interested, they seem to have a reliable product!

Scowbay said:
Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula is 50 miles from Seattle (not counting ferry.) It is a weekend getaway destination for many Seattle area folks, but just out of range for Leafs and other "100 mile" EVs. Several groups in town (e.g. the NW Maritime Center) are looking at installing one or two EVSEs, which would make town easily accessible from the Seattle area. However, we're running into roadblocks with the main players (Chargepoint and Blink.) Chargepoint isn't accepting any applications and Blink can't be reached directly and hasn't returned calls.

Any ideas out there for an alternative approach? Needs to be level II and outdoors (e.g. coming from Seattle, an hour or two of charge should more than suffice.)

Scowbay

2012 Silver Leaf

Does money need to be collected for charging? Is there a budget?

Why not just have them purchase a Clipper Creek CS40 for $1750 and install that? No networks to manage, or additional fees to pay. It may cost a little bit for electricity, but the CS40 is a high quality long-lasting unit built for outdoors that will provide charging for many years to come...

Not looking to collect money. Will look into the Clipper Creek option, assuming it can be installed outside. Thanks.

Good Luck with your project. We visit PT and Sequim often and look toward the day when we can take our Leaf. :!:

Scowbay said:
2012 Silver Leaf

Here you go,
http://www.lowes.com/pd_107343-76863-EVWSWBC-CP01_0__" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ask some restaurants to put one up so you could have something to eat while you wait.

Resturants would be good, but try to find locations where parking is not already too congested. A resturant parking lot where it is full and spilling onto the street might not be a good choice.

garygid said:
Resturants would be good, but try to find locations where parking is not already too congested. A resturant parking lot where it is full and spilling onto the street might not be a good choice.

EV charging stations should be put in the most unused spot, farthest away from the entrance. That way we don't have to fight for the nearest spot.

Catch-22, Richard. Typically the farthest spot in the parking lot is also the farthest away from the electrical service as well. Then it becomes impractical to pay for the extra trenching and conduit/wire just to put it in the back of the lot....

Randy said:
Catch-22, Richard. Typically the farthest spot in the parking lot is also the farthest away from the electrical service as well. Then it becomes impractical to pay for the extra trenching and conduit/wire just to put it in the back of the lot....
I disagree in that once you have a man cutting the asphalt and a trencher ready, going an extra 200' is not a huge deal.

Have you ever run a trencher? OUCH! :D

smkettner said:
Randy said:
I disagree in that once you have a man cutting the asphalt and a trencher ready, going an extra 200' is not a huge deal.

200'? that is a huge increase in cost. you have one of two options. very heavy VERY expensive equipment that could do it in a day easily or the smaller cheaper and much more likely option of small hand operated stuff to break up the surface and that can take a few days then a small ditcher (a smallish backhoe kinda thing) to make the dig which can take a few days.

besides in this area, you dont have to be at the end of the parking lot. being a row or two back is all that is needed. staying away from the very front and putting up some signage should do the trick. i find that those small 12" by 16" signs are simply too small

Just a thought-- unfortunately, we'd need more than a couple hours on an L2 if one came in from Seattle and wanted to make it back...

Still, I love the thought of visiting the Peninsula with an EV.

Nissan offers a $10K L3 EVSE (or is planning to). I wonder how much support you'd get from the EV community toward the purchase and installation of one of these--if you are interested, try a posting on http://Kickstarter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and letting folks know your plan by sending out the link to your initiative--I'd contribute to such an effort; I wonder if enough people would also do so to make it worthwhile?

You'd also enjoy a lot of press for being an early L3 adopter.

Just a couple of thoughts,
-Brad

I agree with Brad, even just one L3 would make it a real destination. L2 is nice for opportunity charging but not realistic for long distance refills. We'll be happy with anything, don't get me wrong, but L3 would be much better!

bradleygibson said:
Just a thought-- unfortunately, we'd need more than a couple hours on an L2 if one came in from Seattle and wanted to make it back...

Nissan offers a $10K L3 EVSE (or is planning to). I wonder how much support you'd get from the EV community toward the purchase and installation of one of these--if you are interested, try a posting on http://Kickstarter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and letting folks know your plan by sending out the link to your initiative--I'd contribute to such an effort; I wonder if enough people would also do so to make it worthwhile?

-Brad

I agree that an L3 would be very useful on the peninsula however, I think a couple of issues should be brought up here:

First, L3 does not promote hanging around to shop but L2 does. I think the PT business community would better support L2 locations with the knowledge that users would stick around to shop and enjoy what PT has to offer.

It is important to realize that L2, in that it keeps patrons around for a while, can be a problem if there aren't enough of them. I would hesitate to go to PT during the busy season if there was only a couple of L2 stations. With the growing number of Leaf's in Puget Sound, on a nice sunny warm weekend, I would have to spend more time than I can afford waiting for a charge. In that regard, the L3 would be best—even at a premium hourly rate. Also, with L3 there is the distinct possibility that the charger will be used by those who are just "passing by" on the way to Sequim or Whidbey or beyond—further bogging down the charge schedules for those who actually want to spend time in PT.

Secondly, if L3 is considered, it should be realized that the cost for the underground and electrical work is much more than that required for and L2 installation. So yeah, the Nissan L3 sounds good but what is the end cost?

What's the solution? I think it might have to be a small sub-network of charging locations—perhaps an L3 should near the highway to satisfy those going further with the several L2s in DT PT to satisfy those who want to hang around.

However it ends, I too will be happy with anything and look forward to the day I can take the Leaf to PT.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I agree with Brad, even just one L3 would make it a real destination. L2 is nice for opportunity charging but not realistic for long distance refills. We'll be happy with anything, don't get me wrong, but L3 would be much better!

bradleygibson said:

-Brad

the "hanging around to shop" point is valid and that would require 10X more L2's than we currently have and i have over 100 in my area. they are literally popping up all over.

the other day, i plugged into Sears. then walked to Target about 2 blocks or so. same parking center, just in the middle (Sears is on the end) and it worked but it would not work for a lot of people. but there is plans to put charging in by Carl's Jr which is on the opposite side and has 2 dozen shops within 2 blocks.

so it would be an ideal place to park, hit a few shops and get 60-120 minute boost.

but the point is; if we could charge everywhere we went, 95% of our needs could be done with L2. but right now, there is just not enough places to charge. sure they are plentiful but do not cover every destination and that is what is needed that is why L3 has to be in place. L3 does not have to cover every destination because its a "stop and wait" thing. bathrooms, coffee, fast food, etc. should be nearby. that makes it near perfect (the weather would make it a pain if the rain is too heavy)

Back