Walgreens Installing 800 Charge Stations before 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this to be a bit of a joke, Walgreens hires EVgo which is only a middleman that adds more layers of cost to third part vendors to do something Walgreens could do on their own. I suspect someone is going to find out the hard way this was a waste time and EVgo is akin to AV and other companies that add nothing but additional cost. I predict a big regret. I expect many more "green" companies stepping up to gouge companies with useless value propositions feeding on ignorance of the marketplace and technology. Get it quick before consumers and companies learn via consumers and the space is commoditized. Stay tuned for more "green" scams from the so called " EV experts" most of which have never driven one or used and EVSE.

mwalsh said:
There was a map with the CA locations posted to it, and I've lost track of it. Does anyone remember where it was?
http://www.batchgeo.com/map/aa5c0f4cbf9bd47c7121efb63c74fee8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
208V, 30A has to be J1772.

TonyWilliams said:
Is this AC (J1772) charging or DC ChaDeMo ?
Yes, standard ChargePoint bollard with 1x120VAC NEMA5-15 and 1x208VAC J-1772 (the commercial version of residential 240V). I did not check the 120V. The LEAF will, of course, draw less than the 30A (until 2013 Model Year); probably will draw 16A x 205V (actual) = 3.28kW, meaning it will not "fill" quite as fast as at home (3.7kW), but close.

There's an Outback Steakhouse right next door, and the out-of-business Borders shopping center which also has Target, many restaurants, OSH, etc across the intersection:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7299+Laguna+Boulevard,+Elk+Grove,+CA&hl=en&ll=38.423907,-121.417058&spn=0.010372,0.021908&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.766543,56.25&vpsrc=6&hnear=7299+Laguna+Blvd,+Elk+Grove,+California+95758&t=m&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

haykinson said:
mwalsh said:
There was a map with the CA locations posted to it, and I've lost track of it. Does anyone remember where it was?
http://www.batchgeo.com/map/aa5c0f4cbf9bd47c7121efb63c74fee8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's Southern California. Anyone have a map for Northern California/Bay Area?

EVDRIVER said:
I find this to be a bit of a joke, Walgreens hires EVgo which is only a middleman that adds more layers of cost to third part vendors to do something Walgreens could do on their own. I suspect someone is going to find out the hard way this was a waste time and EVgo is akin to AV and other companies that add nothing but additional cost. I predict a big regret. I expect many more "green" companies stepping up to gouge companies with useless value propositions feeding on ignorance of the marketplace and technology. Get it quick before consumers and companies learn via consumers and the space is commoditized. Stay tuned for more "green" scams from the so called " EV experts" most of which have never driven one or used and EVSE.
So, what's new . . . an easy 30% of the PV installation industry has been gouging end users for over a decade. If I'd have thought to look at a DIY book on PV installation prior to our install? . . . shoot, we'd have saved a boat load on costs. Other than the Main 225 amp upgrade panel, and tieing into the grid, it would have been quite do-able. Live and learn.

LEAFer said:
probably will draw 16A x 205V (actual) = 3.28kW, meaning it will not "fill" quite as fast as at home (3.7kW), but close.
My guess is that the LEAF will draw somewhat more than 17A @ 205V to keep the charging power up to spec. Since the Chargepoint offers 30A, there's no reason for the LEAF to stop at 16A... The commercial Chargepoint I've seen, at the Seward Park home of the Hertz LEAF in NYC registers somewhat in excess of 3.7 kW when charging. If Seward Park is 208V, then the LEAF is definitely drawing more than 16A.

Maybe it's just me but what really can be gained by putting 240V chargers at Walgreens. I would never go into a Walgreens for more than 15-min or so. Is it worth even the trouble to open the little hatch in the front to get a few cents worth of juice. I paid dearly for this DC QC port that currently is unusable. Had I known that I wouldn't have spent the money.

Now lets put a DC QC at Walgreens. I will shop there 2-3 times a week. Now you're talkin.

But for now I suppose the current chargers are good for emergency situations as others have indicated. But again maybe it's just me but what emergency situation other than driving your leaf farther than you know you should could there be? Had to run that special errand so now I have to sit at Walgreens for 1.5 hrs to get home. And that's if someone else hasn't plugged in and took off for the day to get a full tank. Ha.

Just being facetious :lol: But really I do wish things would go the way of the DC QC like I was led to believe when I paid for the option. That would be a worker in all cases.

I'm all for L3, but waiting 1.5 hours for L2 isn't bad at all if there are other stores/restaurants/etc. of interest within walking distance. I'd stop inside Walgreen's first, then walk over to the adjacent supermarket, etc. Planning ahead helps.

Today's S.F. Chronicle has an article about Walgreens installations in the Bay Area. These are scheduled to open next week:

-- 1333 Castro St., San Francisco.

-- 3001 Taraval St., San Francisco.

-- 191 E. Third Ave., San Mateo.

-- 4070 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo.

-- 2799 S. White Road, San Jose.

-- 780 E. Santa Clara St., San Jose.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/20/BUSD1LK72I.DTL

Has anyone actually seen/used any of the Walgreens charges? I checked at 2 of the locations (Huntington Beach & Chino) but was unable to find any trace, not even signs of pre-construction. :cry:

I observed construction crews starting work in San Mateo. No idea how long it will take them to finish.

Castro St. in SF was started 10 days ago but nothing's been done for a week.

MrFish said:
Has anyone actually seen/used any of the Walgreens charges? I checked at 2 of the locations (Huntington Beach & Chino) but was unable to find any trace, not even signs of pre-construction. :cry:

MrFish said:
There is one here in Dallas; however, it is owned by a company called evgo. Their chargers are subscription only.

If Walgreens did this on their own with a supplier they would have a good value proposition and likely more stations. I think they were sold a bill of goods from a third party like EV go and others and its ring to backfire on Walgreens and the "consultants". These "green" third parties are only slowing the process and adding layers of cost, most of them don;t have a clue about EV charging habits and the market.

I've used both Walgreen's stations in Elk Grove, CA, and discovered (but did not stop at) another one while driving around Sacramento a few days ago (the one at Howe & Arden, also known as "How' about Arden?"). The stations are Coulomb's and are listed on the ChargePoint site.

Minor correction to a (much earlier) post I made: the Elk Grove locations have only the Level 2 J-1772, *not* also an additional Level 1 (like many Coulomb bollards).

No sign of anything in Aliso Viejo yet. Asked the Asst. Manager about it and he didn't even know what an electric car was. :roll:

LEAFer said:
I've used both Walgreen's stations in Elk Grove, CA, and discovered (but did not stop at) another one while driving around Sacramento a few days ago (the one at Howe & Arden, also known as "How' about Arden?"). The stations are Coulomb's and are listed on the ChargePoint site.

Minor correction to a (much earlier) post I made: the Elk Grove locations have only the Level 2 J-1772, *not* also an additional Level 1 (like many Coulomb bollards).

That's encouraging, at least there following through. I'm not crazy about the reported charges, but if I need a charge once in a while to extend my range, it would be worth it.

Do you mind sharing the cost for charging you encountered?

Back