Walgreens Installing 800 Charge Stations before 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used our Walgreens twice now. It's great...just plug in, no card to swipe. We have a Safeway and Starbucks along with a few other stores that all share the same parking area, even a Chevron...oh, never mind about that one, but I always get something from Walgreens first. Walgreens also striped the parking spot next to the EV parking so no door dings! Even for just a short stop, it's nice to get a few miles out of the trip.

Just went by the Walgreen's in San Jose. We were fully charged so didn't stop. On the way, we found four charging stations on the street across from City Hall. Very cool!

DarkStar said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
does anyone know what percentage of these will be L3?
Currently it's 0%. There are Walgreens locations with L3, however those aren't operated by the chain. The L2 units are operated by the chain.
L3 stations in Houston are at Walgreens operated by evGo which sells on a monthly subscription basis only. Maybe L3 stations at Walgreens on the West Coast will end up being operated by EVoasis. EVoasis has a far superior rate structure with a range of subscription plans from all-inclusive to pay-as-you-go, so you can pick what makes sense for your own situation. I sure look forward to them opening their first station because then I'll believe it's for real, and not just more promises.

Herm said:
Any news on EVoasis and ev2GO?
Nothing you can plug into your car, but maybe a bit more than the endless stream of press releases to which we've been treated over the past year or so from many sources. EVoasis is hosting a "celebration" this month, which would seem to indicate that they think they, and we, will have something to celebrate. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=173538

L1 is not the same as 5-15R.

A typical 120v AC socket is 5-15R.

With a 5-15R and an L1 EVSE, you can charge your LEAF.

Or, with an installed L1 EVSE, you could charge your car
without getting anything out of the trunk.
(I do not know of any public L1s.)

2 chgpoints installed within 1 mile of my office in Elk Grove ca...I ve used it twice...first time machine wouldnt actvate when I tapped with the rfid card...snd time no prob and no charge..kpc

My wife just stumbled onto one charging unit that is being installed at the Walgreen's here in San Diego on 3005 Midway Drive. She said it is a ChargePro unit by Sema Connect.

I've never heard of them before and had to Google them to confirm their existence. Looks like it's an outfit based out of Anapolis, MD. Kinda odd installing one in San Diego?

No pictures yet, but she said it was clearly still under construction.

Edit: Forgot to add that she said it is a Level 2 charging unit...

Brentster said:
My wife just stumbled onto one charging unit that is being installed at the Walgreen's here in San Diego on 3005 Midway Drive. She said it is a ChargePro unit by Sema Connect.

I've never heard of them before and had to Google them to confirm their existence. Looks like it's an outfit based out of Anapolis, MD. Kinda odd installing one in San Diego?

Edit: Forgot to add that she said it is a Level 2 charging unit...

There are two Sema charging stations at Walgreen's in Oakland. Nothing much yet in SoCal:

http://www.semacharge.com/publicstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The nice thing about these units is that they're very easy to use. No card to swipe, no muss, no fuss.

Brentster said:

Walgreens must have some sort of contract with them. This Walgreens in particular has solar panels, nice! Didn't know that Walgreens was doing solar, too.

drees said:
Brentster said:

Walgreens must have some sort of contract with them. This Walgreens in particular has solar panels, nice! Didn't know that Walgreens was doing solar, too.
Nice set of panels! I'm impressed, though they look like they're flush to the flat roof. Even in San Diego, that doesn't seem optimal. :?:

DoxyLover said:
drees said:
This Walgreens in particular has solar panels, nice! Didn't know that Walgreens was doing solar, too.
Nice set of panels! I'm impressed, though they look like they're flush to the flat roof. Even in San Diego, that doesn't seem optimal. :?:
I'd bet that they are mounted at a low 10-15* tilt - hard to tell from the map. I would never recommend mounting panels at less than 10* even on a flat roof because a small amount of tilt helps to keep the panels a lot cleaner than no tilt. Even morning dew can be enough to help clear some dust off panels with a bit of tilt.

With no/very little tilt the aluminum edge holding the panel together keeps any water from running off and a lot of dirt easily collects on the panel reducing output.

oakwcj said:
The nice thing about these units is that they're very easy to use. No card to swipe, no muss, no fuss.

So how do you use them? We have one at our local Walgreens in Seattle and I couldn't figure it out. The charge handle was firmly attached to the charger, pulling did nothing. Pushing the silver release button on the charge handle didn't do anything either. I tried putting my Chargepoint and Blink cards against the card reader area and that did nothing, didn't affect the charge handle. The installation seems to be complete and the readout said "Ready" but I gave up.

drees said:
DoxyLover said:
drees said:
This Walgreens in particular has solar panels, nice! Didn't know that Walgreens was doing solar, too.
I'd bet that they are mounted at a low 10-15* tilt - hard to tell from the map. I would never recommend mounting panels at less than 10* even on a flat roof because a small amount of tilt helps to keep the panels a lot cleaner than no tilt. Even morning dew can be enough to help clear some dust off panels with a bit of tilt.

With no/very little tilt the aluminum edge holding the panel together keeps any water from running off and a lot of dirt easily collects on the panel reducing output.
The mounts are just fine. Several inches above the roof, and properly angled. Look at the photos viewed from either the west or from the south. Those views allow you to see the southerly shadows. The contractors know what their doing - go figure.
;)

There's a station installed at store# 5772:
2690 PACIFIC COAST HWY
TORRANCE CA 90505
http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/storeDetails.jsp?stnum=5772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a friend who lives nearby who told me about it. I only drove past it and noticed a sign that says "Level 1"; hopefully I misread that or missed the sign for level 2.

The ChargePro is apparently a re-badged Coulomb EVSE, and it
usually requires an RFID card, at least when the charging is not free.

The RFID appears to be available (for $20) at http://www.semacharge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...
or, might this be a "spoof/scam" site?

spacysmoke said:
There's a station installed at store# 5772:
2690 PACIFIC COAST HWY
TORRANCE CA 90505
http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/storeDetails.jsp?stnum=5772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a friend who lives nearby who told me about it. I only drove past it and noticed a sign that says "Level 1"; hopefully I misread that or missed the sign for level 2.
Yep ... 120 volt only, according to the plugshare.com map so .... you'd have to do a TON of walmart shopping (hours) to even get 6 or 7 miles of range.

garygid said:
The ChargePro is apparently a re-badged Coulomb EVSE, and it
usually requires an RFID card, at least when the charging is not free.

The RFID appears to be available (for $20) at http://www.semacharge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...
or, might this be a "spoof/scam" site?

It's a real site and a real person answers the phone. AFAIK, the Sema charge stations at Walgreen's are all free so far. In fact, all of the eight or so in Northern California -- at Walgreen's and outlet stores -- are free. The only one I've tried is at a Walgreen's at 35th and Telegraph in Oakland. It just worked. The handle wasn't frozen. The light at the top of the unit changed from blue to green when it began charging. Sema is a Maryland outfit, so most of their network is on the East Coast.

ChargePoint L2 station at the Aliso Viejo (CA) Walgreens is online. Does not show up on the App yet (email sent) and does not appear to have charged us anything for the use. It is located on the west side next to the building at the end. Lots of good stuff available at the location, Trader Joes, Farmers Direct, Lowes, Panera Bread. If you walk across the street you are at the Aliso Viejo Towncenter and Theaters. A very good location IMHO.

Back