Vehicle build-to-order ends June 13. What next?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbissell

Just received the following email from Nissan. Anyone have any idea what is happening (other than what is listed in the email)?

---------
On June 14, the online order process for the Nissan LEAF® is changing. If you haven't already completed your home charging dock assessment and confirmed your vehicle order with your Nissan Dealer, please do so by June 13. Starting June 14, the vehicle build-to-order function will be removed, but you'll still be able to request a quote on the website and work out a vehicle purchase with your dealer. Plus, dealers are now stocking the Nissan LEAF®, so you can search dealer inventory to find one that's perfect for you.

For questions, please contact the Nissan LEAF® call center at 1-877-N0-GAS-EV-(1-877-664-2738) or visit http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

To get started, click below.

Order Now

-----------

My interpretation is that Nissan is retiring the "ordering process" that many of used to acquire our LEAFs when production destined for the US was limited, and now they will be delivering quantities of cars to dealers for on-the-lot purchases to take place (like Nissan's other models).

You can still Request a quotation from local dealers, but it sounds like you'll proceed to the dealer to purchase the car without necessarily having to wait for it...

This was announced awhile back...

That day has effectively arrived at the dealer in Valencia. We were there last weekend for an hour of courtesy L2 and noticed they had three LEAFs on the lot - white, red, and black. While thanking them for the charge, I commented that the collection lacked only a blue. The salesman just smiled and said that they had two more in back, including one in blue.

He noted that they had traded for their stock from other dealers. I noted that the stickers on the windows were MSRP plus $950 for one year of a security system, nitrogen in the tires, and "no dents for a year". At least it was not MSRP plus $5000 (or more), but the "normal" marketing games seem to apply to the Leaf. Welcome to mainstream? :roll:

The dealer that I bought my new 2012 from yesterday, Mossy Kearny Mesa (San Diego), had about 20 in stock. They've sold 500-ish. While I was buying mine off the lot, impromptu, another couple bought a blue one.

Our local (Keene) dealership had four on their lot last week when I was down there chatting with the sales guy. He said those were orphans bought from other dealers but they were soon going to be able to order them for stock.

It seems many dealers in CA must have them on the lot. But here in North Texas I just do not see any. Ironically, I was at the Toyota dealer a few days ago and they had two of them and said they had 4 but already sold 2 of those. He wasn't sure where they came from, but they were brand new.

bradbissell said:
Just received the following email from Nissan. Anyone have any idea what is happening (other than what is listed in the email)?
Nissan said:
...dealers are now stocking the Nissan LEAF®...
Hmmm. Let's see... with at least 1,100 Nissan dealers in this country, if they are all stocking at least two of them (one to sell, one as a demo), that would be 2,200 Leafs at a minimum. If so, that would help explain why the sales-per-month tallies have dropped since ordering opened for all 50 states in March.

Remember though, not all Nissan dealers are Leaf certified and thus able to order cars...

Yanquetino said:
Hmmm. Let's see... with at least 1,100 Nissan dealers in this country, if they are all stocking at least two of them (one to sell, one as a demo), that would be 2,200 Leafs at a minimum. If so, that would help explain why the sales-per-month tallies have dropped since ordering opened for all 50 states in March.

Yanquetino said:
Hmmm. Let's see... with at least 1,100 Nissan dealers in this country, if they are all stocking at least two of them (one to sell, one as a demo), that would be 2,200 Leafs at a minimum.

Imagine if they all had a fast charger open for public use..

HighDesertDriver said:
That day has effectively arrived at the dealer in Valencia. We were there last weekend for an hour of courtesy L2 and noticed they had three LEAFs on the lot - white, red, and black. While thanking them for the charge, I commented that the collection lacked only a blue. The salesman just smiled and said that they had two more in back, including one in blue.

He noted that they had traded for their stock from other dealers. I noted that the stickers on the windows were MSRP plus $950 for one year of a security system, nitrogen in the tires, and "no dents for a year". At least it was not MSRP plus $5000 (or more), but the "normal" marketing games seem to apply to the Leaf. Welcome to mainstream? :roll:
THERE's the rub - if I'd had to do through the typical dealer shenanigans (bait-n-switch, dealer add-ons, markup WAY above sticker/MSRP, etc.), I probably wouldn't have purchased. The ability to order exactly what I wanted and have the dealers compete for my business was one of the main reasons I bought a LEAF. How many other game-changing new vehicles has the average Joe been able to buy at or below MSRP?

Personally, I don't see this as a Good Thing...

ahagge said:
THERE's the rub - if I'd had to do through the typical dealer shenanigans (bait-n-switch, dealer add-ons, markup WAY above sticker/MSRP, etc.), I probably wouldn't have purchased. The ability to order exactly what I wanted and have the dealers compete for my business was one of the main reasons I bought a LEAF. How many other game-changing new vehicles has the average Joe been able to buy at or below MSRP?

Personally, I don't see this as a Good Thing...

Yo will be able to do exactly that with a Tesla Model S too. Fixed price, no markup or negotiation possible. Everything must be ordered to spec.

Back