Using the leaf for a Drive-In Movie, Battery OK?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TargetJ941

Hey all,

I know that the 12v is used to run accessories, like the radio, but do you all know how long it can be on? I'm looking at taking my leaf to the drive-in theater, and you have to use an FM radio in order to hear the movie. It's 2 movies at about 90 minutes a piece, so I'm looking at roughly 3 hours of usage.

Does anyone see any issues with the car getting me back home after this? Will the 12v last that long?

As a note, home is approximately 10 miles from the theater.

Just leave it in READY mode (green car w/arrows). The charging algorithm for the 12 volt already sucks and doesn't fully charge the 12 volt as it is. I wouldn't want to make it worse.

People have already done this - I think there may be another topic for it - and it worked fine. Just keep the car in Ready Mode, as Cwerdna said. You can use the A/C if you have 5% charge to spare, or the heat if you have enough for that. Figure 5% if using a heatpump-equipped Leaf, 10% if not. I keep meaning to do this, but haven't yet.

They still have drive-ins? Haven't seen one of those in decades and would love to take my daughters at least once before I get too old. A double feature too! Using FM so no nostalgic speaker box to take home as a memento. Hey but there is no real trunk on the Leaf to sneak.... Never mind ;>

As long as you have the car powered so the 12 volt battery is getting charged you should be OK. Take a portable jump start with you to play it safe the first few times you vet out the procedure or just check the battery voltage with a volt meter to see if the main battery is charging the 12 volt system when you have it powered to run the radio. At rest with the car off it should be around 12.2 to 12.5 while when the charging system is active you should be seeing over something around 12.8 volts preferably 13.

As long as the car is is Ready mode (yellow-green car icon is lit) there is no risk at all of draining the 12 volt battery. People use the 12 volt system to power 1500 watt power inverters this way.

Most have gone dark here but I did find one about 30 miles away at a Flee Market. The posted admission price was much easier to take though compared to a big box movie house. A move night for the family is no longer cheap entertainment at the big chains and can too easily hit well over $100 if you get a few snacks and such.

Open Air Movie Theaters are closer by where you bring a lawn chair or blanket along with your own snacks and many are free to the public.

Thanks for the replies guys! The movies went off without a hitch (only took about 10 miles off the range in total).

And as far as the drive in went, it was great! We saw Storks, and part of Sully, until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. We're in Fort Worth and the theater was really nice. Banked parking so everyone had a good view, cheap food and drink, and the sound was spot on with the video. I would highly recommend finding your nearest theater and giving it a go :D

Back