Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:
LEAFfan said:
Jim, after each update, the third BT is not there. I use the Kyocera Event.
Please explain what that means?

I still can't see the correct 3rd battery temp (BT) sensor. It shows a Huge - (minus) number there (-11699.8) instead which is probably why the fourth reading goes off the screen. When I tried 'Average', it was a - four digit number (-2855.). I must be the
only one showing this glitch.
Sorry, I did not understand correctly what the problem was.
I remember seeing some screen shot with a (the third?)
battery temperature a large negative number.

If it is still that way with the latest version of technology app,
and others, like myself are not experiencing the problem,
use the new debug mode, and select temperatures, and
look at Screen 3. Post a picture and we will be able to see
what the basic data is, coming (through the ELM327 device)
to the app.

If the data for the 3rd temperature is bad, but the other
3 are what is expected, then there is a strong likelihood
that the sensor in your car is broken. The "bad" value might
be a normal error-value for a broken, shorted, or
disconnected temperature sensor. If we discover that
then the app can look for the error-value, and display
*1 instead of telling temperature, indicating Error type 1.

To check that, use your exact equipment on another LEAF
to verify that all 4 temperatures appear correctly. If they
do, you might get another app user to check your car
with their proven equipment. Assuming they get the same
"bad' data, then you might consider asking a dealer to read
the 4 battery temperatures from your car, please.

LEAFfan, you might have a physical problem with that temp sensor, and the car is attempting to warn you with the EV system light. Just a guess. :)

Note that I'm currently using a prototype Leaf Dash Display prototype from GregH, and it is doing polling every 4 seconds on the EV CAN bus for temp and cell pairs. It is also mostly plugged in all the time, with the OLED display on. Have had no issues.

Jeremy,
Good correlation of the EV error light with this possible temperature sensor error.
Good thinking... :D

Turbo3,
Maybe it would be helpful to have the option to source the Battery Temperature
data either from the integer C values, or from interpolation of the raw "sensory "
values (both reported in the Group 4 messages)?

surfingslovak said:
Would it make sense to define a battery efficiency factor in the preference and set the default to "1" or "100%" for now?

If this factor is set to 95% later, the usable capacity of the pack will be about 21.4 kWh for a new LEAF. This is a bit more than the figure we agreed to use earlier, but it would correspond to what NREL quoted in their teardown report. To get 21 kWh even, the efficiency factor would have to be set to 93%. It's also possible that we are missing something in the equation used to calculate the stored energy estimate.

Isn't the SOC % equate to 5% unused at the top and 2% at the bottom creating 93% usable?

This is not the first time this has come up. If you look on page 6 of this thread, you wil see that Jim (Turbo3) had the same temperature reading (-11699.8) on cell 3 of a 2013 on the showroom floor.

Updated version 0.16t.

* Added checking for temp (for now, only for F) must be between -50 to 150 degrees otherwise it will display "**".
* On screen 3 changed color of temp so it is easier to distinguish from miles.
* Added currently selected miles/kWh to end of miles label
* Changed layout on screen 1 so temps over 99.9 degress will not force last reading off screen.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
Would it make sense to define a battery efficiency factor in the preference and set the default to "1" or "100%" for now?

If this factor is set to 95% later, the usable capacity of the pack will be about 21.4 kWh for a new LEAF. This is a bit more than the figure we agreed to use earlier, but it would correspond to what NREL quoted in their teardown report. To get 21 kWh even, the efficiency factor would have to be set to 93%. It's also possible that we are missing something in the equation used to calculate the stored energy estimate.

Isn't the SOC % equate to 5% unused at the top and 2% at the bottom creating 93% usable?
It is, but that's already factored into the equation Jim is using currently. At least the top 5%. If the CAP value we are getting from the CAN bus is accurate, then multiplying it by 360V nominal pack voltage (3.75 x 96) will yield something around 24 kWh, which is the full rated capacity. Multiplied by an SOC of 95 or 96%, we will get about 22.5 kWh of stored energy or approximately 281 Gid on a full charge (80 Wh per Gid). If these numbers check out and work well for testers, then we have identified a practical way of substituting Gids. To get usable energy out of this, we would need to substract the turtle reserve, as you have pointed out, and subtract battery losses. This is mainly heat dissipated due to internal resistance when charging and discharging, which would be covered by the efficiency factor suggested above. The numbers on the screenshots posted yesterday look pretty realistic, we just need to find a good way to present it all, and agree on the formula.

DanBaldwin said:
This is not the first time this has come up. If you look on page 6 of this thread, you wil see that Jim (Turbo3) had the same temperature reading (-11699.8) on cell 3 of a 2013 on the showroom floor.
You will get this value (-11699.8) when the sensor reading is 0xFFFF. So it is not a valid reading.

Update to latest v0.16t and it should show "**" now and not push things off the screen.

A small bug?
Entering the app, it turns on Bluetooth, as it should.

After going to Settings, and checking for updates there (with the browser),
and just returning from the browser into Settings, the app forgets that it
turned on Bluetooth, and does not turn Bluetooth back off when you
exit the app (with the Return button).

I am accustomed to using %Gids as a close
representation of a traditional 0 to 1 fuel meter.

We still do not have anything on the screen that
approximates this simple helpful percentage value,
which is the fraction of the original-tank fuel-on-board.

With a 7 or 8% capacity loss, after an "80% charge", the
SOC will still show close to 80% (misleading), but
the fuel is really closer to 75%.

No, showing me 18.3 kWh is not very helpful either,
unless one is good at 3-digit mental multiplication.

For me, although perhaps not for all, it is easier to
visualize that 60% takes me about as far today as it
did yesterday, and 30% is half of that.

To use the kWh, I have to remember the magic number
that was there originally. Perhaps having a user-settable
kWh "original tank" value to divide by would give something
c!ose to the percentage that I seek?

Just tried on the Event and it works fine.

I think you said you has Basic4Andriod. If so then start it you and connect to Event and press the connect button on the log right hand window.

Then start up program do your thing and exit program. Then copy log to clip board and send to me.

batteryproblemmnl
garygid said:
Gary, thank you for offering this perspective. More food for thought. In the meantime, I have a slightly unorthodox idea to help bridge the gap. If you entered 4.44 m/kWh in the DTE section of the preference screen Jim has recently created, the miles-to-empty display value should give you something close to the percentages you are looking for. Assuming that everything else is in place, the display should track Gid % relatively closely, and show values from about 3 (turtle) to 100 (full new battery). It won't be an exact match, but hopefully close enough to the real thing.

garygid said:
If you set the 100% AHr value I could use that to calculate something like what you are asking without having to add anything to the settings menu.

Both of the above are good suggestions, that I will
try both suggestions when I can get into the car tomorrow.
Thanks for the thoughtful, and helpful suggestions.

I can try to use my "Y" cable to do an easy comparison.

Turbo3 said:
Just tried on the Event and it works fine.

I think you said you has Basic4Andriod. If so then start it you and connect to Event and press the connect button on the log right hand window.

Then start up program do your thing and exit program. Then copy log to clip board and send to me.
Jim, since the eVent works ok, you probably mean connect the Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet.

I will see if I can get the logging to work, not having connected before, just used
B4A to look at the progress of the iMiEV program (that I think you started with?).

It might be some difference between the tablet and phone,
or in the Android version 3.2.1 vs 4.0.4 but... we shall see.

There is one thing you can check on the Tablet first.

First go and set the Histogram window size to 300. Then exit program to lock in the change.

Then start up the app checking that you get the message that Bluetooth is being enabled.

Check that the window size is still at 300.

Then use the check for updates button to get to the web.

Then come back and check the window size. Is it still 300 or did it go back to 100?

There is one thing you can check on the Tablet first.
First go and set the Histogram window size to 300.
Then exit program to lock in the change.

+ ok

Then start up the app checking that you get the message
that Bluetooth is being enabled.

+ enabling bluetooth adapter, enabling bluetooth.

Check that the window size is still at 300.

+ It is, and the histogram is drawn at 300

Then use the check for updates button to get to the web.
Then come back and check the window size.
Is it still 300 or did it go back to 100?

+ It says 100 in settings, but returning from settings, the
histogram is still drawn at 300, re-enter Settings and I
see 300 again, return from Settings, then
the Exit does not disable bluetooth.

Trying the same thing again, and then on the Event.

On the Event, everything worked ok.

However...
I rebooted the Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet, and did the test again,
and everything worked properly, and bluetooth shut off.

So, it looks like some kind of lack of sufficient memory
type problem, I suspect.

Is this helpful enough? :p

Back