Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
FairwoodRed said:
Turbo3 said:
I originally thought the user would need to indicate the type of connection so I added that option in the Settings menu but now I think I can auto-detect it.
Do you already have a device wired to the EV CAN bus? If not, I could send you one.
Thanks for the offer but I have already modified the large ELM327 BT module shown on the first page to monitor EV-CAN.

Used it a while back to monitor real GIDs with the Battery App.

Speaking of mods, I went to RS and found a perfect-fitting toggle DPDT mini switch ($5). It fits into the hole at the bottom of the Simvalley Vgate ($18) and then went to the Hardware store for a rubber-backed washer that fits perfectly over the toggle and down against the case. Now, I just have to move the wires.

I think that location is right over the Bluetooth antenna
(the square-wave type pattern on the printed circuit board),
and the switch (and wires) might block the Bluetooth, or
the Bluetooth might interfere with the CAN bus signals.

What is the Radio Shack part number, I might already
have some, or similar? Thanks

Just got mine up and running. COMPLETELY AWESOME! Thanks so much for such a great gift to the community, Turbo3!

994149_10151673653279844_115930045_n.jpg

I'm using mine with The Simivalley switched ELM327 adapter, which is a real nice piece of kit. Powers up automatically when the car is powered up (I think...provided the switch is already in the on position - I haven't goofed with it much). Decided on it after browsing the adapters available on Amazon and seeing another LEAF owner had been successful with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL3KQZO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have one of FairwoodRed's EV-BUS modified ELM327s on the way.

Interestingly, the on/off switch apparently does not turn off the entire unit. I read a few reviews that indicated that the unit was warm overnight despite being turned off. So, clearly it is still consuming power when "off..." Perhaps "off" just turns off the actual RF portion of the transmitter...

mwalsh said:
I'm using mine with The Simivalley switched ELM327 adapter, which is a real nice piece of kit. Powers up automatically when the car is powered up.

mwalsh said:
Just got mine up and running. COMPLETELY AWESOME! Thanks so much for such a great gift to the community, Turbo3!

I'm using mine with The Simivalley switched ELM327 adapter, which is a real nice piece of kit. Powers up automatically when the car is powered up (I think...provided the switch is already in the on position - I haven't goofed with it much). Decided on it after browsing the adapters available on Amazon and seeing another LEAF owner had been successful with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL3KQZO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have one of FairwoodRed's EV-BUS modified ELM327s on the way.

Your pack is only 78F at 8am. Awesome. Here in Tennessee I start up in the morning with the pack in the mid eighties. Looks like your climate is a good for the LEAF :)

JPWhite said:
Your pack is only 78F at 8am. Awesome. Here in Tennessee I start up in the morning with the pack in the mid eighties. Looks like your climate is a good for the LEAF :)

I was thinking that was quite warm, considering I didn't charge overnight - just a couple of hours this morning to get enough range for the day's chores. But it's yet to get real hot here, our hottest months generally coming later in the summer - August and September for sure, and sometimes a fair bit of October.

But, yes, I'm glad the pack is not hotter. :D

TomT said:
Interestingly, the on/off switch apparently does not turn off the entire unit. I read a few reviews that indicated that the unit was warm overnight despite being turned off. So, clearly it is still consuming power when "off..." Perhaps "off" just turns off the actual RF portion of the transmitter...

Yes, I'm afraid you might be right. When you power down the car it severs the BT connection but the power light on the unit stays lit. Darn.

garygid said:
I think that location is right over the Bluetooth antenna
(the square-wave type pattern on the printed circuit board),
and the switch (and wires) might block the Bluetooth, or
the Bluetooth might interfere with the CAN bus signals.

What is the Radio Shack part number, I might already
have some, or similar? Thanks

#275-0663 (black flat toggle)
#275-0636 (chrome flat toggle)

If you try these, please let me know if they work. I haven't resoldered the wires yet. Thanks!

Anyone having an issue with the app connecting consistently to the ELM327? Sometimes the app is updating data yet shows "connecting to ELM", rather than Connected (green). Other times the app just wont connect unless I restart the app, or choose the ELM device again within the app. I have two different ELM devices and both show the same behavior.

Curious if this is a bug in v25.

bradbissell said:
Anyone having an issue with the app connecting consistently to the ELM327? Sometimes the app is updating data yet shows "connecting to ELM", rather than Connected (green). Other times the app just wont connect unless I restart the app, or choose the ELM device again within the app. I have two different ELM devices and both show the same behavior.

I may see that problem once every couple of weeks or so. Rebooting the phone typically resolves the problem.

bradbissell said:

I've had it happen only once. I shut down the app and then restarted it and I haven't had any additional issues.

I had a similar problem but I think it was because my Tablet and my Phone were both trying to connect, and my Tablet won.

Yes, have seen that every few days. But I believe it's a problem with my phone rather than the app or the ELM327. My phone does other weird stuff on a random basis, like display "charging" even after disconnecting the charger (this condition normally does not seem to clear until after a reboot).

Just had EV warning light go off. Anyone have this issue due to ELM? Currently at dealer to see what is up. I did remove elm and android phone so they don't ask extra questions.

JohnOver said:
I'm not seeing that behavior. It connects and disconnects correctly. My only annoyance is that it turns bluetooth off whenever I get out if the app. Then I lose connection to my headset and have to turn it back on.
The app should only turn bluetooth off if it was off when the app started which means the app turned bluetooth on.

The only other time the app turns bluetooth off is if you have the "On Exit force BT off" checkbox in Settings/System checked.

Ok, just tested with my Kyocera Event and I don't see a problem. Paired with headset which means Bluetooth had to be on. Then made phone call and started and exited app and headset stayed connected.

What phone are you using?

bradbissell said:
Just had EV warning light go off. Anyone have this issue due to ELM? Currently at dealer to see what is up. I did remove elm and android phone so they don't ask extra questions.

Yes, but only when I was using the EV CAN dongle, not the CAR CAN one. I solved it by exiting the App first before I turned the car off.

Back