Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
That's interesting. My 2011 was spot on and so is my 2013. I can X my m/kW h X 21 and know within a couple miles how far I can drive. For example, I drove 188 miles and my m/kW h was 8.8. That's damn good accuracy!

Both my 2011 and 2012 were equally accurate.

Perhaps slightly off topic: has anyone made an app or desktop program or website for viewing and analyzing the logs from the LEAF Battery App?

kevinleaf said:
Perhaps slightly off topic: has anyone made an app or desktop program or website for viewing and analyzing the logs from the LEAF Battery App?

Microsoft Excel?

If you have multiple logs they can be consolidated into one at the dos prompt

Code:
COPY *.txt bigfile.txt

Use Excel to sort, analyze, chart.

I was thinking of something more automatic to graph and analyze the data than excel. I'm asking because I am thinking about making something but before I did I wanted to see if this wheel is already invented.

I'm thinking of a website to:
1. Upload logs and graph results in a browser
2. Share graphs easily with other users
3. Analyze results
4. Preserve logs in a central location

Anyone interested?

kevinleaf said:
I was thinking of something more automatic to graph and analyze the data than excel. I'm asking because I am thinking about making something but before I did I wanted to see if this wheel is already invented.

3. Analyze results

Anyone interested?

I'm new to the LEAF Battery App, and I'm not logging yet, but I would be very interested in a place to analyze them, keep them, and share them with others.

Turbo3 said:
The minimum Wh change that the numbers from the Leaf support is less than 0.03 Wh. The Leaf can report SOC changes to 1 part per million. I don't know if it actually does but that is the resolution of the SOC value I get.

Keep in mind that the Wh used is just the starting Wh value minus the current Wh value and does not mean the electric motor used or generated that much energy. Just that the battery level has changed. Some of the change in available energy could be due to temperature changes.

Thanks Turbo3. I think what you have created is truly awesome!

I drive down the hill (from 1600') to basically sea level in Palo Alto each morning and then back up the hill in the evening. I charge to 80% at home and 100% at work.

I noticed that the discrepancy (in mi/kWh) between the dash and Battery App was 14% going down hill to work, and -3% going up hill to home. I can't think of any reason for this other than the Battery App is not fully capturing the regenerated energy during the 10 mile downhill.

Any ideas?

OK... about to become Daddy to a new 2013 Leaf SV w/ Premium & LED/QC Packages here in less than 24 hours. The wife and I are making the approximate 100 mile drive down to Washington, DC about 5:00pm today to bring her home from the dealership. I'm heading for the Beltway loaded for bear with my Vgate ELM327 OBD2, JP White's OBD2 16 pin extension cable (both of which just arrived yesterday), a Samsung SCH-I815 Galaxy Tablet sporting Android 3.2 WITH the Leaf Battery app installed and... very little knowledge of what the hell I'm doing LOL! Just went out to the garage, hooked-up the ELM327 clone to my wife's Prius Plug-In and successfully paired it via Bluetooth with the Galaxy tablet, so I've got that going for me ;) Once paired, I opened the Leaf Battery app knowing I wouldn't see any data, but I was able to select the ELM327 clone on the Battery app setup and saw the "Waiting for Leaf Data" message, so I "think" that once I actually have it connected to my Leaf's OBD2 connector, I should be good-to-go.

Once I connect the ELM327 clone to the Leaf and begin receiving data, are there any settings I need to add/change/whatever right from the get-go? I know I'll quickly learn a lot about the app once I begin using it, but I need enough knowledge to make it useful right off the bat once I head for home tomorrow evening. Again, are there any settings in the app -- default or otherwise -- that I need to set/change immediately? Obviously my big concerns being my first extended drive with the Leaf are knowing an accurate State-Of-Charge and an accurate determination of how many miles I have left.

I believe I have ample L2 charging options (as well as alternatives) identified for the journey back to West Virginia.

One last question... do I whip-out the Samsung and the ole ELM327 clone in the presence of the sales folk before I drive away and say "Hey boys, wanna see something cool?" OR am I better-off driving-off the lot, pulling into the McD's parking lot down the street and THEN hooking everything up? Any reason for concern with the dealership people seeing me hooking-up these high-tech goodies to my Leaf's OBD2 port?

I'll shut-up and listen now ;) Thanks in advance for any input. I've loved this forum ever since I joined back before the start of the year and I'm about to love it a whole lot more!

JohnOver said:
Turbo3 said:
The minimum Wh change that the numbers from the Leaf support is less than 0.03 Wh. The Leaf can report SOC changes to 1 part per million. I don't know if it actually does but that is the resolution of the SOC value I get.

Keep in mind that the Wh used is just the starting Wh value minus the current Wh value and does not mean the electric motor used or generated that much energy. Just that the battery level has changed. Some of the change in available energy could be due to temperature changes.

Thanks Turbo3. I think what you have created is truly awesome!

I drive down the hill (from 1600') to basically sea level in Palo Alto each morning and then back up the hill in the evening. I charge to 80% at home and 100% at work.

I noticed that the discrepancy (in mi/kWh) between the dash and Battery App was 14% going down hill to work, and -3% going up hill to home. I can't think of any reason for this other than the Battery App is not fully capturing the regenerated energy during the 10 mile downhill.

Any ideas?
The Battery App takes no part in capturing energy amounts it just saves the current battery energy level when you press reset and shows you the difference between that value and the current battery energy level. The Leaf provides the data and the App does subtraction and displays the results. Very simple (start_value - current_value = difference).

So the correct question is why does the Leaf give you those results when using the numbers from the CAN-BUS. Perhaps the numbers from the Leaf do not exactly match what we think they mean. We are reverse engineering the meaning.

kevinleaf said:

3. Analyze results

Anyone interested?
I, too, have been importing the results into excel and am interested in your idea for an automatic analysis tool.

kevinleaf said:

3. Analyze results

Anyone interested?
I'd be interested as well.

I've been taking data from a wifi based elm and plotting it with excel. Here is some example data I took.

ecxk6.jpg

="JohnOver"

...I drive down the hill (from 1600') to basically sea level in Palo Alto each morning and then back up the hill in the evening. I charge to 80% at home and 100% at work.

I noticed that the discrepancy (in mi/kWh) between the dash and Battery App was 14% going down hill to work, and -3% going up hill to home. I can't think of any reason for this other than the Battery App is not fully capturing the regenerated energy during the 10 mile downhill...

You might want to look at the Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where my LEAF app actually showed a significant increase in the Wh capacity while I was making a series of short, level trips.

The self-charging BEV!

The maximum discrepancy (in mi/kWh) between MY leafs kWh use reported and the Battery App was when, from an "80%" initial charge, after 17.9 miles driven with an ~1500 ft net elevation loss, the nav screen showed 17.9 m/kWh and CarWings 1.0 net kWh use (Dash limited to 8.0 m/kWh, of course) while the App reported 2.872 kWh used.

As near as I can tell, the App-reported error rate is not directly attributable to either regen or temperature, or even both combined.

The Wh use reports from the App seem to consistently overstate energy from "80%" and"100%" when I start my trips with a net descent, but also from the kWh use from "100%" when I start with a net ascent. Of course, the battery temp is increasing on all these drive as well.

The App reports also considerably understates Wh use at lower SOC levels, so the app numbers "catch up" with my LEAFs internal Wh use reports over the discharge, but it still consistently overstates use relative to the total charge by ~500-800 WH by the time the VLBW is reached.

Never gone below the ~VLBW SOC, but it looks like the Wh use numbers might ~converge after a full discharge of the available capacity.

Anyone checked that out?

="Turbo3"

So the correct question is why does the Leaf give you those results when using the numbers from the CAN-BUS. Perhaps the numbers from the Leaf do not exactly match what we think they mean. We are reverse engineering the meaning.

The mystery to me, is how the dash/nav screen/CarWings kWh use data is so (apparently) consistent, if it is being generated by the same data your app is picking up?

Thanks again for the work, Turbo3.

Even though the results gave me my first real case of range anxiety in over a year.

It was during my first trip back top the bay area since we met at the April BAYLEAFS meeting.

I recharged in Orland to "100%", after ~50 miles into the ~86 miles trip, and with another ~1200 ft of net ascent ahead of me, the overstatement of kWh use from the App convinced me I just might see the turtle (for the first time) ~10 miles (and the wrong other side of a pass) short of my destination in Clear Lake.

I wound up reaching my destination with nearly a kWh left before the VLBW.

No harm done, except to the LEAF's image in the minds of all the ICEV drivers who witnessed my pathetic ~38 mph average speed climb up out of the Central Valley on highway 20...

adspguy said:
kevinleaf said:

3. Analyze results

Anyone interested?
I'd be interested as well.

I've been taking data from a wifi based elm and plotting it with excel. Here is some example data I took.

ecxk6.jpg

Wow, what's happening with your CAP spiking upward of late? Any idea what might be responsible for that?

I have a very basic and naive question. As I understand it, the app usually listens to the CAR-CAN bus because that is what the commercially available ELM pin connections allow it do. The settings menu does, however, allow one to select the EV-CAN bus. Will the app be able to read EV-CAN data (real gids vs simulated gids?) with FairwoodRed's modified ELMs?

TomT said:
Another stupid question: What is the different between the two software versions (regular and full scale)?
The FS (full screen) version hides the status bar at the top of the screen. The people who bought a cheap phone to dedicate to this use find that handy.

lukati said:
I have a very basic and naive question. As I understand it, the app usually listens to the CAR-CAN bus because that is what the commercially available ELM pin connections allow it do. The settings menu does, however, allow one to select the EV-CAN bus. Will the app be able to read EV-CAN data (real gids vs simulated gids?) with FairwoodRed's modified ELMs?
The plan is to have a future version of the app detect connection type (CAR or EV) and display data based on that.

I originally thought the user would need to indicate the type of connection so I added that option in the Settings menu but now I think I can auto-detect it.

Turbo3 said:
I originally thought the user would need to indicate the type of connection so I added that option in the Settings menu but now I think I can auto-detect it.
Do you already have a device wired to the EV CAN bus? If not, I could send you one.

FairwoodRed said:
Turbo3 said:
Do you already have a device wired to the EV CAN bus? If not, I could send you one.
Thanks for the offer but I have already modified the large ELM327 BT module shown on the first page to monitor EV-CAN.

Used it a while back to monitor real GIDs with the Battery App.

Here is my first whack at a web application (website basically) to graph the data that comes out of Leaf Battery App:
LeafLogsAppTakeZero.png

This shows state of charge (SOC) on my trip to work, plotted on a map. I can see right away that highway driving takes a lot more battery than city driving (no big surprise)

This is a bleary-eyed first attempt to see what is in the data and what may be possible. Call it step 1 out of 150...

Back