Using Clipper Creek HCS-40P as a portable unit at RV parks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpillath

Can I use a Clipper Creek HCS-40P as a portable unit to take with me to an RV park typical 50 amp service with NEMA 14-50 receptacles? I have a 2013 Leaf with 6.6kw on board charger.
Or is there some other EVSE that would be more appropriate for using at that type of electricity source?
Thanks for your help

jpillath said:
I am leasing and upgrading the cars current EVSE is not an option

Of course it's an option. You just haven't evaluated the option.

Yes, of course you can use ANY of the [edit: 240 volt capable] EVSE's anywhere you want. Just stick a NEMA 14-50P on it and plug it in at RV parks with "50 amp" service.

WARNING: putting a NEMA 14-50 or other 240 volt capable plug on a 120 volt charge cord will destroy it.

Your LEAF will never pull more amps than 30.

Hey Tony,

My thought was that because I'm leasing I would have to return the original equipment EVSE in its unaltered condition when I return the leased vehicle. Or do you think that altering is sometime permitted under a standard lease?

I'm not familiar with how easy it is to "stick a NEMA 14050P on it". Is that type of adapter available at my local hardware store?

And of course, if I did that with a Level 1 EVSE, the charge time involved would leave me with a lot of "leisure" time at an RV park.

I'm thinking that the Clipper Creek unit described above would give me the fastest available charger with that 50 amp service. That's the only type of charging available in the Northwoods of Wisconsin

Thanks for your help

You can buy the CC HCS-40P with a 14-50 attached. Worst case you may need a 5' extension so it can lay on the ground.
RV store, Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. should have an extension.

Many people have returned their EVSEupgraded with the car along witht he 5-15 adapter.

Alternatively, you can trade someone for a stock EVSE and perhaps even get some money back. Or you could just replace the L6-30 plug for a 5-15 plug and no-one would be the wiser.

Yes, you can buy a NEMA 14-50P at your local hardware / electrical supply for $10. WARNING: Don't put this on a stock 120 volt EVSE, as you will destroy it. They cost $800-$1000 to replace.

You can send your stock EVSE to http://www.EVSEpgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they will return it with 240 volt capability, plus programmable up to 25 amps (your car can pull 27.5 to 30 amps). You will need to buy or build a NEMA 14-50P to L6-30R adaptor to connect to your modified Nissan charge cord.

As suggested above, turn the car in with the modified unit, or swap it for an unmodified unit (super easy), or sell your modified unit and use the money to buy a stock replacement.

I believe EVSEupgrade will actually swap you for your modified unit.

TonyWilliams said:
As suggested above, turn the car in with the modified unit, or swap it for an unmodified unit (super easy), or sell your modified unit and use the money to buy a stock replacement.

I believe EVSEupgrade will actually swap you for your modified unit.
Yep on all of the above.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=5&faqs_id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am leasing (as almost everyone is doing) and upgraded my EVSE on evseupgrade.com.

I plan to trade my upgraded EVSE for a non-upgraded EVSE + cash from someone on this board at lease end.

I charge with my upgraded EVSE at home (at around 3kw) and a work supplied EVSE at my office (at 6kw). I don't have a clipper creek or other more permanent solution at home...and never needed it.

RVD.

Be aware that if you use the evse upgraded evse, you will only be able to charge at 20 amps instead of 27. If you are staying overnight no problem, but if you are waiting enroute it will turn a 2 hour charge into a 2.7 hour one. I carry a portable full sized bosch power max around for that reason. I also have the evse upgraded one too as a backup, and in case I encounter a place where I can't draw full power . I like that you can precisely program how much power it lets the car draw whil charging. Also, I have seen rv parks that don't have 14-50 plugs. I built a combiner box with relays to turn 2 tt30s to a l6-30 for the evse upgrade unit. One more thing to watch is the temp of the plug after it's been charging awhile. Many rv parks dont maintain their plugs and they get loose sometimes and overheat.

Back