Used 2013 SL questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyg

Hello,

I've posted a few times recently but figured I would introduce myself now that I finally got my 2013 Leaf from Carvana, as well as ask a few questions. I just got it yesterday afternoon, so I still have 6 days to decide whether I want to keep it or get something else or get my trade in back.

It shows 12 battery bars but after using LeafSpy it looks like it's probably about to lose that 12th bar (AHr 55.06, SOH 84%, Hx 81.27%). It has 20k miles and was leased for 2 years in the Dallas, TX area. Is this reasonable battery loss for that age/area? I paid $13k for it, which for an SL with premium package was about the best deal I could find in my area (Atlanta). I only drive about 25 miles a day at most, except for the occasional 40 mile or so each way trip to the ATL airport, where I can charge at an offsite parking place while I'm gone, so no problem getting back. Is it okay to charge to 100%, knowing that it will be a few days or maybe up to a week at most before I'm back from traveling? I'm not sure if I will be able to get back home if I only charge to 80% and it's in winter (not that it gets terribly cold in Atlanta, but it can). It will be indoors while parked/charging, so it shouldn't get too hot in there I hope.

Final question is about warranty. Although I initially declined an extended warranty from Carvana, I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought it. Coverage is here https://www.carvana.com/Content/images/CarvanaVehicleProtection.png?v=850418d64f02cbdbf367, though probably half of that stuff listed isn't on an electric car. It still has 9 months on the original warranty since it was in service in 12/2013. The extended warranty from Carvana would be 36mo/60k miles for $1200, or 60mo/90k miles for $1750. You can take the car anywhere, including Nissan dealerships for repairs. I think it's a $50 deductible. Just wondering if any of the stuff listed that is covered would be likely to fail in the next 3-5 years and cost me over $2k. I think I've read about AC or heat issues with the 2013s, and some of that stuff would be covered. I could probably still add it since I'm in the 7 day test drive period I think.

Thanks for your help!

Jonny,

You should be able to find a very clean 2012 SL in your area for < $10,000, perhaps even <$9,000. You would have plenty of battery warranty left to very likely get a replacement prior to the 60 month expiration of the warranty. $13,000 seems quite high and an extended warranty is unnecessary, there is plenty of warranty left in case there is an issue.

Good luck with your purchase.

$13,000 seems quite high and an extended warranty is unnecessary, there is plenty of warranty left in case there is an issue.

There is two years left on the battery capacity warranty but the factory warranty will expire sometime this year - whenever three yours from the original in-service date is up.

I wouldn't charge to 100% and leave it. If you only need a little more, activate charging as soon as you arrive, and wait 30 minutes (if L-2) to get more charge. If it's L-1, can you get someone with the spare key to get to the car a few hours before you arrive to restart charging?

An 11+ bar car with that mileage, from that climate, is pretty typical.

LeftieBiker said:
$13,000 seems quite high and an extended warranty is unnecessary, there is plenty of warranty left in case there is an issue.

There is two years left on the battery capacity warranty but the factory warranty will expire sometime this year - whenever three yours from the original in-service date is up.
"bumper to bumper" warranty is 3 years/36k mi, the battery capacity and powertrain warranty are for 5yrs/60k miles. Battery defect (not capacity, but something like a bad cell...) warranty is 8yr/100k miles.

Most of what I would worry about is battery capacity (an aftermarket/extended warranty will not cover that), and powertrain problems (which are covered for a few more years by the factory warranty), so I would not purchase an extended warranty.

If you are going to get an extended warranty, purchase one from Nissan. Get a quote from your local Nissan dealer, and then get an online quote. There are some dealers that discount them (through volume sales). Jim Bone Nissan offers the Leaf Gold Preferred 96 month (from original sale date), 100k mile, $0 deductible for $1865. You can put 10% down and spread the balance over 18 months with no interest. http://nissansrextendedservicecontracts.com/

Okay, sounds like I should pass on the extended warranty.

I know I could get a 2012 for less money, but I spent a lot of time comparing it to the 2013, and I just really want all the differences/improvements in the 2013.

As far as the airport, it's L1 charging that I've seen so far. I will try to charge to 80% for this next trip and I don't foresee having any problems getting home, especially with the cold weather over for the year here. There's plenty of other charging stations along the way if I get desperate. For my next trip or my next trip in winter, I'll see if I can find L2 charging at offsite airport parking and sit there for 30 min after I get back as suggested to get it to 100% if I think that's necessary.

jonnyg said:
I know I could get a 2012 for less money, but I spent a lot of time comparing it to the 2013, and I just really want all the differences/improvements in the 2013.
I think thats wise, and probably a big part of the reason '12s are so much cheaper than 13s and on :)
I figure I got my second Leaf, a '12 for ~$4k less than a comparable '13 and it's the reason I went with it(IMO it was just too good of a deal to pass) but I really prefer my '13 in almost every respect.

jjeff said:
jonnyg said:
I think thats wise, and probably a big part of the reason '12s are so much cheaper than 13s and on :)
I figure I got my second Leaf, a '12 for ~$4k less than a comparable '13 and it's the reason I went with it(IMO it was just too good of a deal to pass) but I really prefer my '13 in almost every respect.
Yeah, hopefully it's still the case that the 2013s are worth quite a bit more in 2-3 years when I trade this in for a Tesla Model 3.

Either way, at least I'll have driven a nicer car for 2-3 years, so I suppose that's worth something. It's part of the reason I wanted to trade in my current car, which was a very base hatchback with no upgrades other than cruise control and power doors/windows (which I actually had to pay to upgrade to in 2009).

Back