Unpluging the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I don't know if anyone has said this on this thread or not yet....this is why 6.6kW charging will turn out to be so important - 2-3 hours and you're probably done on a 24kWh pack that isn't completely discharged. And that's not even bringing up affordable and plentiful L3 charging.
Yep, the 6.6 kW on-board charger is my #1 suggestion for Nissan in your thread where you're soliciting suggestions.

It's a given that it will be in the 2012s so I'm not sure it really needs to be suggested...

tps said:
Yep, the 6.6 kW on-board charger is my #1 suggestion for Nissan in your thread where you're soliciting suggestions.

mwalsh said:
I don't know if anyone has said this on this thread or not yet....this is why 6.6kW charging will turn out to be so important - 2-3 hours and you're probably done on a 24kWh pack that isn't completely discharged. And that's not even bringing up affordable and plentiful L3 charging.
I've now noted that the Volt gets parked in the EV spot ALL WEEK END LONG . . . . little green light showing it's been sitting there for days ... ICE'ing an otherwise available EV spot.
High amps or little . . . quick charge or slow . . . 120V or 240V . . . it STILL begs the same issue. Unplugging a plugged in PHEV. Will higher amperage even make a difference if/when you have a dull PHEV driver?

maybe leave the Volt driver a polite note, they might not think anyone else is around to use it?

I think the big influences on charging protocol will be availability and if you are paying for the charge or not. Right now it's very much the frontier out there for EV's. It is all very touchy-feely since no one is used to getting free fuel from a free pump while sitting in a great parking spot :shock: . I think it will work out... but on occasion, There Will Be Blood! Ex; as gas prices spike onward and upward, Volt owners will be re-arranging their lives around a 40 mile lifestyle and shooting to kill at public charge stations.

My guess (hope?) is that as EV's start to trip over each other in parking lots, public chargers will be alot more common and therefore available. If it is a pay charger then it and the space will be all yours until you got what you payed for. We will probably be asked to vacate the space after charging not unlike feeding a meter and having it run out on us. Move along or get a ticket.

For now its Interesting times.

Ingineer said:
FYI: if you unplug a Volt, even if charging is complete, the factory alarm system will sound.

-Phil
That is decidedly uncooperative of the Volt and, sadly, typical American attitude - "it's mine damn it, don't touch it"! Why shouldn't I be able to unplug a Volt (or any other EV) if I know it's done (i.e. it's charge light is out)? Bah.

GeekEV said:
Ingineer said:
FYI: if you unplug a Volt, even if charging is complete, the factory alarm system will sound.

-Phil
That is decidedly uncooperative of the Volt and, sadly, typical American attitude - "it's mine damn it, don't touch it"! Why shouldn't I be able to unplug a Volt (or any other EV) if I know it's done (i.e. it's charge light is out)? Bah.
You can still unplug it, but unless the owner took the necessary steps (locking the door using the key instead of the fob) it will make a little noise. I bet the buzz becomes that GM Volt alarms are always going off and "are way to sensitive." :D

smkettner said:
I would not unplug anyone's car. At least I cannot think of any circumstances that I would.

What if you firmly believed that it was only a block/oil heater or "fake" extension cord that was plugged in in order to garner a valuable free spot??

I had a slightly more positive idea today. I think I'll start carrying extra copies of the Courtesy Charging Protocol, and slip one under the offending plug-in car's windshield wiper, with a PostIt note saying, "you might find this useful, as I do."

Ray

Ingineer said:

-Phil
That certainly might get him down there to unplug his dang car!
:lol: :roll:

Hoggin' the charger? Fine.

pb14.jpg

You're not going anywhere until I'm topped off. :twisted: :lol:
=Smidge=

I would say a Volt has as much right to plug in as a Leaf. if I had a Volt (which I considered buying) I would try to run in EV mode 99% of the time, if possible.

Incidentally, I have a PHEV Prius (aftermarket kit, not the official toyota version) and I try to drive it in EV mode as much as possible. My wife drives our Leaf, so I am still driving the Prius. I've never plugged it into public charging before since there are almost zero of those around in the Ft.Worth area. But if there were, I'd certainly take every opportunity to charge it up.

Now, granted. If it were a situation where somebody NEEDS the charge to make it home, I'd be happy to let them charge instead. Although that is probably poor planning on their part. But if they are just trying to top off the car to feel good, then I'd say my need is just as much as their need.

If my Leaf was low (and it would leave me stranded not to charge), and a Volt was using the charger, I would take the cord, but leave a few dollars on the windshield for gas with an apologetic note. Maybe having an envelope with a few dollars and a note already in it would be prudent for the glovebox.

Nate

adric22 said:
Incidentally, I have a PHEV Prius (aftermarket kit, not the official toyota version) and I try to drive it in EV mode as much as possible.

Does it have a sticker on it that identifies it as a plug-in?.. I could see enterprising people with fake stickers and AC cords getting a primo parking spot for free.. heck you could even have a small fridge keeping your beer cold.. that would come in handy!

Herm said:
adric22 said:
Does it have a sticker on it that identifies it as a plug-in?.. I could see enterprising people with fake stickers and AC cords getting a primo parking spot for free.. heck you could even have a small fridge keeping your beer cold.. that would come in handy!

LOL! So maybe I should start offering J1772 to fridge adapters! =)

-Phil

hill said:
I've now noted that the Volt gets parked in the EV spot ALL WEEK END LONG . . . . little green light showing it's been sitting there for days ... ICE'ing an otherwise available EV spot.
High amps or little . . . quick charge or slow . . . 120V or 240V . . . it STILL begs the same issue. Unplugging a plugged in PHEV. Will higher amperage even make a difference if/when you have a dull PHEV driver?
If you need the charge the Volt driver would probably be understanding and not mind at all if you unplugged his/her car. On the other hand, if you're just being cheap and looking to score a few kWh from your employer, they'll probably tell you that if you want access to the plug the RX would be to get to work earlier. Theoretically the best solution would be for the car needing the charger to use the plug. That could be the Volt if the EV range is less than the commute or it might be the Leaf if the EV range is less than the commute. Obviously the Leaf is range limited so it's a more needy vehicle with respect to charging.

In any case I don't see an issue with unplugging any EV once it's fully charged. Just leave a note on the windshield explaining what you plan to do along with your name and work phone number so he can contact you if there are any issues. A copy of the protocol wouldn't be a bad idea either. Doesn't seem that hard.

Back