Unpluging the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

You pull up to a free public charger. It's been ICE'd (internal combustian engine car used, blocking EVuser). So, you're hosed? No you park close enough so you can still charge. BUT ... if it's ICE'd by a Volt . . . can you? would you? ... should you? All too soon it'll happen ... you'll weigh the propriety of screwing a PHEV, that can still motor on down the road (allbeit 37mpg), wheress you would have to wait maybe an hour or two. Would you 'unplug' the PHEV? Or, would it turn on other variables. I frequently see costco chargers ICED'd - so it's just a matter of time before the issue gets personal.

hill said:
You pull up to a free public charger. It's been ICE'd (internal combustian engine car used, blocking EVuser). So, you're hosed? No you park close enough so you can still charge. BUT ... if it's ICE'd by a Volt . . . can you? would you? ... should you? All too soon it'll happen ... you'll weigh the propriety of screwing a PHEV, that can still motor on down the road (allbeit 37mpg), wheress you would have to wait maybe an hour or two. Would you 'unplug' theb PHEV? Or would it turn on other variables. I frequently see costco chargers ICED'd - so it's just a matter of time before the issue gets personal.

I think, if I were a Volt owner, I'd have a card made up....."If your charging need is more desperate than mine, please feel free to unplug me. If not, I expect to be done charging by ___ ". That would be the morally right thing to do.

I would not unplug anyone's car. At least I cannot think of any circumstances that I would.
If the Volt is not using the plug then I would help myself if it will reach.

If just an ICE vehicle I would be more inclined to report the parking violation to the city police.

smkettner said:
I would not unplug anyone's car. At least I cannot think of any circumstances that I would.
Yah. I'd never even consider touching somebody else's car. Sure, you could dream up some dire scenario where the flood waters are rising and my only hope of staying ahead of certain death is getting in 20min of charge...but that never happens.

In Arizona they cannot park in public charging stations displaying an "Electric Vehicle Parking Only" sign to begin with. There is a fine and they are subject to towing. That is because only EV's displaying an alt fuel plate can use those spaces. Arizona classifies the Volt as a hybrid and it is not eligible for the plate, along with carpool lane access.

As EV enthusiast and believer that this is the future of personal transportation, I will not demand, disconnect or report anyone to police for using EVSE spot. As early adopters and enthusiasts we have moral obligation to create climate for general acceptance of this technology. As of right now there is a lot of financial and other perks to buy and own EV, but with time that will disappear. Once technology is widely accepted we are going to disconnect each other? I believe not bragging and demanding but personal example will help propagate EV. Is easy to say how bad is ICE, but I will drive it for at least another year or more (I will wait for my turn to buy and will not complain that someone jumped in front of me).

Actually, I did just this recently. Don't worry, it was a private charger with a friend's Volt... Turns out if you unplug it you will set off the Volt's car alarm! Maybe the Volt only does that when the car is actively charging, and not when it's done. I'm not sure. But beware... :lol:

As far as etiquette goes, I personally wouldn't think twice about unplugging another car if, and only if, it gives an indication (as the Leaf and Volt do) of when the car is finished charging and it is, in fact, finished. No harm there, right? Though is tempting to say "I need it more" than a PHEV...

GeekEV said:
As far as etiquette goes, I personally wouldn't think twice about unplugging another car if, and only if, it gives an indication (as the Leaf and Volt do) of when the car is finished charging and it is, in fact, finished. No harm there, right? Though is tempting to say "I need it more" than a PHEV...

Interesting point. I would also be super careful when unplugging, so as to not do any damage (I know I would hate it if someone did that to my car while unplugging me!)

The only case where I would unplug a PHEV is if it has a "feel free to unplug me after I'm charged" sign of some sort.

In the case of a parking sign that specifically says something like "all electric only" and I really felt I needed the charge then I would contact the owner of the parking lot. Unplugging the other person's car could be interpreted as an act of aggression by the other driver and that driver may pay in kind (keying, or worse)

In the case of parking that doesn't specify electric only, I don't care how bad I feel I "need" the charge. I have no idea if the PHEV has any gas. I am not "better" than the PHEV user (well ok, maybe I think I made the better purchase but that doesn't give me any additional rights over the PHEV user). It is not for me to decide.

All of us able to fuel up with electrons need to get along. We're all in the extreme minority, and infighting will just make it harder to get electric cars into the mainstream.

This is a great example of why we need to support the EV Charging Protocol. I plan on printing a few out and laminating them, that way as I meet other EV drivers I can give them one to use at public charging locations.

Pretty simple, put a paperclip or other marker on it to indicate when you don't mind getting unplugged at.

If I arrive at a public charging station and there is another vehicle plugged in, indicating that it is completely charged or no longer charging, I won't feel bad at all about unplugging them to plug in my car.

I would only consider it if it was a PHEV, or an EV and there was a clear indication that it was finished charging, and if I was in a dire situation such as I was last Monday night. Even then, I'd stay with the car and plug it back in when I was done.

As pure EVs become more common, eventually we are going to have to deal with a more formal protocol for charger sharing along the lines of the EV Sharing Protocol...

smkettner said:

hill said:
You pull up to a free public charger. It's been ICE'd (internal combustian engine car used, blocking EVuser). So, you're hosed? No you park close enough so you can still charge. BUT ... if it's ICE'd by a Volt . . . can you? would you? ... should you? All too soon it'll happen ... you'll weigh the propriety of screwing a PHEV, that can still motor on down the road (allbeit 37mpg), wheress you would have to wait maybe an hour or two. Would you 'unplug' the PHEV? Or, would it turn on other variables. I frequently see costco chargers ICED'd - so it's just a matter of time before the issue gets personal.

Suppose the guy is out of gas? There's no easy way to tell that from the outside is there?

Considering the limited range of PHEVs so far, I would think his next stop in such a scenario would be a nearby gas station regardless...

jhm614 said:
Suppose the guy is out of gas? There's no easy way to tell that from the outside is there?

How are we supposed to know every EV and how it indicates full charge?
The Leaf lights actually turn off, right? Better IMO would be a light that comes on near the port that indicates charged.

Skywagon said:
In Arizona they cannot park in public charging stations displaying an "Electric Vehicle Parking Only" sign to begin with. There is a fine and they are subject to towing. That is because only EV's displaying an alt fuel plate can use those spaces. Arizona classifies the Volt as a hybrid and it is not eligible for the plate, along with carpool lane access.

I hope California will follow your lead.

It all depend on how sign said "EV only" then Volt is violating and must be reported. If sign said "EV and PHEV" then Volt is OK. Ether case you should not touch the car.

In California, I think it would boil down to whether or not the car qualifies for an EV sticker.

ht2 said:
It all depend on how sign said "EV only" then Volt is violating and must be reported. If sign said "EV and PHEV" then Volt is OK. Ether case you should not touch the car.

mogur said:
In California, I think it would boil down to whether or not the car qualifies for an EV sticker.

ht2 said:
It would be CRAZY if Volts weren't allowed to use public chargers. If I owned one, I would certainly expect to be able to charge up...I'd be trying my hardest NOT to burn gasoline.

I have to say I find this whole thread very bizarre. Volt drivers are on Team EV in my book. I WANT them out there using the charging infrastructure and encouraging businesses to install more.

davewill said:
mogur said:

ht2 said:
It would be CRAZY if Volts weren't allowed to use public chargers. If I owned one, I would certainly expect to be able to charge up...I'd be trying my hardest NOT to burn gasoline.

I have to say I find this whole thread very bizarre. Volt drivers are on Team EV in my book. I WANT them out there using the charging infrastructure and encouraging businesses to install more.

Don't get me wrong. I am hoping to buy midsize SUV with 16Kwh battery before 2015 for second car and join team PHEV.

Plug in station is life line for EV but luxury for PHEV. When I drive PHEV probably I don’t care where the plug in station is. If both car need the charge Volt should yield to Leaf.
Volt is the best PHEV at the moment and PHEV is the next best thing to EV. But Volt driver is not team EV in my book.

DarkStar said:
This is a great example of why we need to support the EV Charging Protocol. I plan on printing a few out and laminating them, that way as I meet other EV drivers I can give them one to use at public charging locations.

Pretty simple, put a paperclip or other marker on it to indicate when you don't mind getting unplugged at.

If I arrive at a public charging station and there is another vehicle plugged in, indicating that it is completely charged or no longer charging, I won't feel bad at all about unplugging them to plug in my car.
This is the Right plan. And by next month it probably won't be a Volt, it will be one of us. There are a million "what if?" scenarios. Best answer is to talk to the other driver.

I started out planning to buy a Volt, and expected to be able to use it as a pure EV most of the time. I switched to the LEAF due to Volt price, complexity, and poor gas mileage (compared to our Prius, which I thought we might replace).

But a Volt driver is definitely still part of team EV in my book.

Ray

Back