uncomfortable headrests and driver seat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My solution from: Re: Headrests are uncomfortable
I finally fixed my headrests. Much more comfortable! :mrgreen:

I bought a 24" long piece of black pipe from Lowes (galvanized would also work). I put the headrest in a vice, with a small piece of carpet to keep the vice jaws from tearing the cloth. Slip the pipe over one of the posts as far as you can, then use the pipe to slowly bend it into position. Repeat with the other post. Works great!

Has anyone tried swapping headrests from other makes and models? I'm quite content with the adjustable headrests on my 01 VW Golf and I'm tolerant of the headrests in our 07 Lexus Rx400h. Perhaps an easy solution is to find the headrest you like and see if the adjustment notches fit the Leaf, then hunt down a set of headrests on eBay or a junkyard.

gasmiser1 said:
The hated headrest.......

I re-installed driver's seat headrest backwards. That's my cure. (although I know it isn't compliant with the "Nissan safety headrest position").

I tried that, but there was too much room for my head to move from upright to headrest contact (app 4 inches). Not to state the obvious (but I will), but the headrest is a safety feature, there to prevent whiplash. If you remove the headrest, or turn it around, when you are rear-ended your head will move far enough back that when it comes to a stop you will experience considerable shock to the neck and the brain itself.
I find that if I incline the seat back to where when I am sitting upright my head just sits right above the headrest, I'm good. Since there is no contact between my head and the rest, it is as if the headrest isn't even there, but if I am rear-ended, my head (and brain) only moves an inch or so before it is supported and restrained by the headrest.
About this time last year I was rear ended while sitting at a red light. The cellphone texting addict behind me hit me at about 40 mph. I shudder to think what might have happened if I had not had a properly positioned headrest.

Back