Typical cost of installing 220v outlet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

Out of curiosity what is the typical cost of installing a 220V outlet??

There are available slots in the box for additional circuit breakers.

Saleem

You have to give a little more information than that for a good answer. How far is it, what's the path, through the attic?, etc....

Saleem,
You need to update the Location in your profile. If people knew what city and state you are located in they could help you find a local contractor to do the work.

Like Randy said it will depend on how far the breaker box is from your parking spot and how many obstacles are in the way.

It can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. It depends on how far the circuit has to be run, where it has to be run, and if there's enough capacity in your electrical service box. Best to just get a couple of quotes for local electricians.

There is one wall between garage and basement -- not too complicated. And I would say length is 15 to 20 ft. We are based on Vonnecticut.

Saleem

To run 18ft of romex from the basement up into the garage (involved no drywall cutting, rafters are all exposed), a subpanel with a breaker, and a separate meter: $2200 through SPX (not including cost of EVSE).

If you get a few quotes, the cost to just install a breaker, run the romex, and install an outlet would probably be under $500 if it's an easy job. You can probably do it yourself if you wanted to save money.

Are there many types of 220v outlets. Which one do I need?? I am getting the Schnieder EVSE from Home Depot?? What is romex -- is this just the wire. Again what kind do I need?? I understand it should have four wires including the ground -- one ground, one neutral, two live. What gauge?? Also it says 40 amp circuit breaker -- does this mean 20 amp each or 40 amp each??

Thanks,

Saleem

I paid $750 to run a 220 line from the box in my house to a detached garage about 150 ft from the house. The electricians ran plastic conduit in a shallow trench from the exterior of the house and up into the attic of the garage. From the garage attic the line was run down the interior of the wall and terminated in an electrical box inside the garage. I installed the EVSE. I paid $650 for the Aroviroments EVSE on e-bay. The EVSE was installed a year ago and works perfectly.

Barry

saleem145 said:
Are there many types of 220v outlets. Which one do I need?? I am getting the Schnieder EVSE from Home Depot?? What is romex -- is this just the wire. Again what kind do I need?? I understand it should have four wires including the ground -- one ground, one neutral, two live. What gauge?? Also it says 40 amp circuit breaker -- does this mean 20 amp each or 40 amp each??

Thanks,

Saleem
If you are getting the Schneider you don't need an "outlet", it can be "hard wired". You will need three #8 wires, two hot plus ground (no neutral is needed) and a 40 amp double pole breaker. 8-3 Romex cable is about a buck a foot, maybe $10 or so for the breaker, and another $20 for odds and ends.

No EVSE I know of needs a neutral wire, just 2 hots and a ground. Your cheapest complete package would be to get your Nissan L1 (trickle) cord upgraded by http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and install an L6-20 outlet that it will plug right into.

One thing to watch out for are your local building codes. If you hard-ware an EVSE, you may need to have a permit where just putting in an outlet may not.

It looks like the Schnieder is designed for hard wiring but if you want to got with plug-in, install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and buy a range card (such as http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-40401-4-Foot-Range-14-50P/dp/B002ML70MQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to attach to the EVSE. Since this is a 4-prong outlet, you need to run a neutral to the outlet to be to code. In the EVSE, cut off the white wire from the cord use a wire nut to cap it.

How do I determine if the breaker box has enough capacity?? I have available slots.

I will be programming my leaf to only charge at night when everything else is off.

I have already installed the outlet box. I am going to connect the timed wire from the outlet and take it all the way to the breaker box in the basement. I will let an electrician take it from there.

Saleem

Chances are that if you have open slots you will be fine. You could take a picture and post it here and let people comment with any concerns.

How old is the house in question ?

saleem145 said:
How do I determine if the breaker box has enough capacity?? I have available slots.

I will be programming my leaf to only charge at night when everything else is off.

I have already installed the outlet box. I am going to connect the timed wire from the outlet and take it all the way to the breaker box in the basement. I will let an electrician take it from there.

Saleem

Look up the subject of "Load Calculation". Your local electrical code may require a load calculation prior to installing any new circuits. The fact that you plan on limiting your charging to night will not be a factor in the load calcs.

I had to have some extra work done because our load calculations didn't quite work out with the additional 240V circuit. Hopefully you'll be good to go. The electrician will give you the scoop. You might want to consult before you do any more work to avoid wasting time and materials.

Back